How To forum

How do I increase colour contrast in Windows 7 Ultimate

by Jansetau / September 4, 2013 12:05 PM PDT

Hi all.

My problem is that the contrast between the background white page colour and the pale blue surrounds of an entry boxes are so pale that I have difficulty in locating entry boxes, (amongst other things).

To find these I have to actually move the cursor all over the screen just so that I can find the the entry box, or whatever, where upon the box out lines then darken somewhat to reveal themselves.

In other words, how can I increase contrast overall as this problem often flows over into other applications.

This is very frustrating and time consuming.

My question: How can I increase the contrast (darken) the pale blue delinquent?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I increase colour contrast in Windows 7 Ultimate
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I increase colour contrast in Windows 7 Ultimate
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
For DavidChaze
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / September 6, 2013 8:52 AM PDT

Stealing the work of others and passing it off as your own is not a nice thing to do.

Two of your posts were direct lifts from other forums/sites and have been removed as you failed to credit those sites with providing the answers.

A simple "This from the Microsoft Site" or "Found this on the MajorGeeks site" is sufficient.

Also, before leaping in with an answer, read the whole thread to see if your suggestion has already been entered and whether it worked or not.

Happy Posting.

All Answers

Collapse -
The free Windows Live Photo Gallery is one way
by wpgwpg / September 4, 2013 12:15 PM PDT

There are also programs in the Roxio and I believe Nero suites that will do this. Several of the cameras you can buy come with their own programs, I know Kodak and Canon do.
Good luck.

Collapse -
by Jansetau / September 4, 2013 2:28 PM PDT

How does Roxio or Nero help me to increase the contrast in windows 7? I need to increase the contrast across the board in everything, mail, bank sites, forums etc.

I do not have any problems with photos pictures and general material that is displayed on websites. It's when I need to select an item in a column of entries or fill in an answer box somewhere on the web page, that's when the problem presents.

Collapse -
The answer is no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 4, 2013 3:09 PM PDT

Simply put, if some app or web page uses a graphic image there is no setting in Windows that would cause it to change it's stripes.

You might have some video card that allows you to fine tune colors, gamut and gamma but that information is absent here so I'll stop here.

Collapse -
by Jansetau / September 4, 2013 4:32 PM PDT
In reply to: The answer is no.

Hi there again.

Yep I was afraid of that. I guess I will just have to live with it. It's amazing that the mob at Microsoft have not picked up on something this common. My window XP Pro and Outlook express never had this problem, only Win7 Sad

Collapse -
Why I wrote no
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 5, 2013 12:54 AM PDT

Is that it seemed you wanted a Global setting or solution. Windows 7 does have themes, font colors and more JUST LIKE XP but in some other control panels. Nothing changed there.

It seems that many apps no longer use the settings in the fonts control panel like before so each app may have to be tuned up.

As to Outlook Express, folk that liked that usually end up with Thunderbird.

Collapse -
The Windows 7 controls are in Display applet
by wpgwpg / September 5, 2013 1:26 AM PDT

As Bob briefly mentioned, the controls for your display are in the Display applet of the Control Panel. They work a little differently from the way XP does, but there are 7 options there including brightness.

Collapse -
Font colors
by jakebe2 / September 5, 2013 9:06 AM PDT

I have problems with the font colors in many web sites being a light blue which is hard for my old eyes to make out. Facebook is especially bad. I wish there was a way to just make all text black!

Collapse -
Exactly what we needed to get some traction.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 5, 2013 9:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Font colors
Collapse -
by jakebe2 / September 5, 2013 12:04 PM PDT

I mostly use Firefox.

Collapse -
Here's the search I'd do next.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 5, 2013 12:47 PM PDT
In reply to: Firefox
Collapse -
In case you didn't know, CTRL-+ enlarges web sites
by wpgwpg / September 5, 2013 11:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Font colors

When you get to a web site that's hard to make out, you can hold down the CTRL key and press the + key. That makes everything larger. You can repeat the procedure as many times as you like until the text gets easier to read. That doesn't change the colors, but it sure helps my 74 year old eyes. Happy

Collapse -
Ctrl plus scroll wheel also works
by jakebe2 / September 5, 2013 9:21 PM PDT

I had a friend advise me that holding the Ctrl key while rolling the mouse scroll wheel also enlarges and reduces the page. That seems to work faster and easier than using the + key.

Collapse -
(NT) You're right - I just learned something - thanks!
by wpgwpg / September 6, 2013 1:54 AM PDT
Collapse -
Here's a FireFox Add On
by itsdigger / September 6, 2013 1:43 AM PDT
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.