Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

How do I hook up two computers to cable internet?

by pippalynn / April 12, 2005 3:13 PM PDT

We have one computer (downstairs) hooked up to a cable modem through charter communications and we just got another computer (upstairs) that is currently hooked to aol dial up. We would like to have the second computer on cable broadband also so I just called the cable company and the tech said oh we don't deal with that what you need to do is get a router or a splitter hold on while I check he comes back and says yes it's a splitter you need. I explained that I don't want wires throughout the house but this is what he said I need to do. This does not sound right to me I don't know if it is called networking or not but what I thought they would do is give us a wireless box for the upstairs. I don't care about sharing info with the downstairs computer I strictly want the broadband access on the second computer. I don't want to have to pay another $45 a month for them to hook a cable modem up here. Can someone please tell me what to do?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I hook up two computers to cable internet?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I hook up two computers to cable internet?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What you need
by wc-sd45 / April 15, 2005 4:30 AM PDT

There are two ways to do this:

1. Internet Connection Sharing (ICS).

2. A cable/dsl router (preferred, trust me).

A splitter will not solve your problem. Somebody either doesn't know the difference between a router and a splitter or is blowing smoke.

This is how you physically hook up a router to a cable modem:

1. Plug the cable from the cable modem into the WAN port of the router.

2. Then plug your computers into the LAN ports of the router.

If your router has only one LAN connecton, you will need a network switch to enable more than one computer to connect to the router. So I would look for a cable router with a built in network switch.

If you want to go wireless, then you need a wireless cable/dsl router. The hookup is basically the same to the cable modem. But you don't need to run wires to the computers from the router.

You will need Ethernet cards in both computers. If wired, then the one with the cable now will work as is. You will need one more card. If you go wireless, you will need between one and two wireless Ethernet cards. At least one for the distant computer. Possibly one for the computer with the current cable connection, depending on the configuration of the router.

Collapse -
how do I hook up more that one computer at a time.
by peggy stone / December 11, 2009 3:27 AM PST

I am a At&t customer!! Call at&t and swith service $19.95 for dsl and they hooked up two computes for me and gave me a place in my bedroom to hook up my lap top, a docking station.

Collapse -
You need 2 items;
by ahtoi / December 11, 2009 4:18 PM PST

a router with wireless capability and a usb wireless LAN adapter, such as a D-link DWA-130 or similar.

Collapse -
Oooooo, have to disagree . . .
by Coryphaeus / December 12, 2009 11:57 AM PST
In reply to: You need 2 items;

with the USB adapter. USB was just not designed for wireless. Yes, some work OK. But for proper use, a PCI adapter is preferred. PCI wireless units have a better antenna and more efficient processor control due to the fact that there are fewer "conversions" involved with USB.

Wink

Collapse -
Yes, you maybe right .
by ahtoi / December 13, 2009 4:37 AM PST

Personally I preferred hardwire connection. So maybe if money is no object, then powerline LAN connection would be nice. Of course the USB has the advantage of uses for other computers.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.