TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

How do I hook up my Wii and DVD to my new TV?

by gbpack / June 28, 2011 2:26 AM PDT

I just bought a new LCD tv. It has one set of component plugs and 2 HDMI plugs. I currently have my cable box connecting to my tv with one hdmi cord. I then have my DVD connected using the component plugs (green, red, white plugs). I have one HDMI plug left, but cannot get my Wii to connect that way. Is there a different way to hook up my DVD player? The DVD does not have an HDMI plug on it.

thanks!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I hook up my Wii and DVD to my new TV?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I hook up my Wii and DVD to my new TV?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
How do I hook up my Wii and DVD to my new TV?
by 3coursedinner / June 28, 2011 5:13 AM PDT

Bring the TV back unless it also has composite video input(one RCA video in, 2 RCA audio). The Wii can be connected via component video (according to the Wii web site)
http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/ts/no_composite.jsp
using the cable that comes with the Wii but you need it for the DVD player.
Options
Like I said -- return the TV and spend a few bucks more for one with more than one component video input or has composite video;
Buy a blu ray player and connect using HDMI (and probably have to buy an HDMI cable unless you get it at Costco which many times includes a HDMI cable). Forget the DVD player if you do this. A blu ray player will probably give you a better picture with standard DVD's than a HDTV (most of which don't do standard definition real well);
Make a choice between Wii and DVD or unplug one and plug in the other if you want both.

Collapse -
Return the HDTV?
by Pepe7 / June 28, 2011 11:54 PM PDT

Nobody wants to return a TV that works just fine.

Collapse -
Answer
I vote for getting a BluRay player
by volvogirl / June 29, 2011 12:55 AM PDT

Ditch the DVD and replace it with a BluRay player. You may want to play BluRay movies in the future and it will also upscale your DVDs and they will look better. A BD player will also play DVDs, etc.

Or do what we did and get a PS3 (Playstation3)to use as a BluRay Player. And then my husband can also play games with it. AND we can stream Netflix movies to it from the internet.

Collapse -
Answer
You can connect your Wii to the HDMI connection
by gaedbo / October 11, 2012 10:04 AM PDT

They make Wii2HDMI Converters that plug into the back of the Wii with a HDMI connection on the other end. You plug that in to the Wii, and then an HDMI cable into it, and then into the HDMI connection point on your TV. I just got mine today, plugged it in and it works great. Depending what web site you buy it from they will range from 20 to 40 dollars. Mine was the $20 one. The picture is better than the component connection I was using.

Collapse -
Answer
Here are the instructions from Nintendo
by widderschynnes / January 10, 2014 12:42 AM PST

I too recently bought a new LCD TV which has only one set of composite inputs and 4 HDMI inputs. I couldn't get a signal from my Wii, when I connected my Wii into the DVD-R/VCR, but the trick is to press the 'AV input' button a few times (or similar). It works nicely, and the picture quality from the Wii looks just as good when I had the Wii connected directly to the telly.

If your DVD/VCR has RCA plugs for input, then here are the instructions from Nintendo which you can follow:
http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/ht_system.jsp?menu=console&submenu=rvl-ht-sys-vcr-hookup-av-cables

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.