TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

How do I hook up my PC to HDTV without VGA port?

by kissrawks / March 17, 2013 3:57 PM PDT

I have a Panasonic TC-P50s30 that does not have a PC VGA port that I am trying to hook my Acer AspireOne D255e up to.

I have tried a PC-VGA converter box, but get vertical scrolling.

I tried a VGA-HDMI cord, PC didn't recognized something plugged into VGA port.

I tried VGA-Component, VGA-Composite cables, vertical scrolling.

Is there a video setting on PC I am missing?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I hook up my PC to HDTV without VGA port?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I hook up my PC to HDTV without VGA port?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Did you try adjusting the Display properties?
by Pepe7 / March 18, 2013 3:21 AM PDT

You should be able to access them from the desktop with a right mouse click.

There should be an option to 'mirror' or 'extend windows desktop'.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: hooking up
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 17, 2013 6:05 PM PDT

I'd buy a video card for the PC that has hdmi out.

Kees

Collapse -
It's a netbook- not gonna happen ;) (n/t)
by Pepe7 / March 18, 2013 12:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: hooking up

n/t

Collapse -
Answer
I would not do this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 18, 2013 1:10 AM PDT

That netbook is not going to give you much in the way of video playback so why not try it as a DLNA server?

I looked at the Panasonic page on the web and it does that. This is no offer to duplicate what's been written so far but I'd look at that next.
Bob

Collapse -
It may be as simple as loading a new driver...
by Pepe7 / March 18, 2013 3:14 AM PDT
In reply to: I would not do this.

...on the Aspire. It's what we had to do with our older HP netbook in order to get the video out via VGA to an HDTV.
YMMV. Probably worth looking into on either an AV speciality site like AVS or maybe an Acer dedicated forum elsewhere.

DLNA is sort of a dead end though, since the OP's likely simply looking for the larger display output and not media access per se.

Collapse -
So why isn't DLNA a solution to stream the screen?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 18, 2013 3:41 AM PDT
Collapse -
Because the TVersity solution is buggy
by Pepe7 / March 18, 2013 10:46 AM PDT

It's almost a non-starter it's so gosh darn buggy, even for more 'seasoned' folks like you & I, willing to perhaps fight through some of this rather messy stuff Wink

Finding another VGA-HDMI converter box of better quality might be worth it if buying a new laptop with better HDMI support isn't an option for the OP.

Collapse -
The OP needs to participate more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 18, 2013 10:56 AM PDT

I would be guessing what they are trying to do with this connection. I think we both know that HD playback from this NETBOOK even if the TV had VGA would test Job.

I've rethought this and think DLNA is the right solution as even a netbook can fling data out fast enough for a HDTV to catch it and play.
Bob

Collapse -
The problem is how DLNA has been implemented
by Pepe7 / March 18, 2013 12:02 PM PDT

It's a bit of a farce, and that's probably giving it too much credit. For a live feed from the netbook she has it's not the correct solution, unfortunately.

But backpedaling a little on what I said above, for basic playback of content from a laptop to HDTV, even the bargain basement laptops can do this now. Instead of wading through three or four $50-100 HDMI-VGA converter units perhaps a laptop upgrade would make more sense <pointing at the Fry's flyer>.

Collapse -
Nod.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 18, 2013 12:05 PM PDT

BTW, this just in. Some 99 buck Android cube thing (MINIX) that is playing back 1080 across the network share. I'm sure there are more like that out there.

The OP really needs to get back in here.
Bob

Collapse -
But you & I would...
by Pepe7 / March 19, 2013 12:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Nod.

...probably simply grab the $99 used Dell workstation and throw in a video card Wink

Collapse -
DNLA, Mirroring, etc..
by kissrawks / March 21, 2013 4:14 AM PDT

I am looking at a new laptop or tablet as a solution. I'm wanting to use my netbook for more than what it was designed for, I need something more powerful anyway. Thanks all!

Collapse -
OP is here
by kissrawks / March 19, 2013 2:56 AM PDT

Correct, I simply want to mirror what is on my PC display. I am attempting to figure out how to do a DNLA network though. I want to stream content from tv networks sites and yideo. i have a roku but it doesn't have all i am looking for.

Collapse -
All the ideas above are pretty dead not.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 19, 2013 3:43 AM PDT
In reply to: OP is here
Collapse -
(NT) Title gaffe. I meant "dead now."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 19, 2013 3:48 AM PDT
Collapse -
Answer
A converter is needed
by GetGadKo / March 19, 2013 1:18 PM PDT
Collapse -
ATTN MODS (spam alert) (n/t)
by Pepe7 / March 20, 2013 4:14 AM PDT
In reply to: A converter is needed

n/t

Collapse -
It's their only post so not spam.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 20, 2013 4:23 AM PDT

And it is a product that is in line with the discussion.

No if they spam (only promote their web site) or go off topic then we can deal with it as spam.

For now, just vote them down if you feel like it.
Bob

Collapse -
I will vote them down, in that case
by Pepe7 / March 21, 2013 1:01 AM PDT

Thanks.

But it's odd that their username is the same as the URL in their <ahem> 'Products'. Might be worth looking at the policies again. Seems like obvious spam to me since it's a promotion.

Collapse -
Then alert it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 21, 2013 1:11 AM PDT

We have a voting system among the moderators but to trigger it you need to alert it.
I hear you and you can guess my vote.
Bob

Collapse -
I will give that a shot ;) (n/t)
by Pepe7 / March 21, 2013 4:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Then alert it.

n/t

Collapse -
Answer
Apple TV
by RecordingEngineerNYC / March 21, 2013 8:52 PM PDT

I bought the Apple TV box ($90.00) and it not only puts my laptop up on the TV, it gives me You Tube, Netflix, Hulu, Photostream and much much more. It's fantastic. Best $100.00 I ever spent. I don't know what is taking the world so long to catch on to Apple TV! Every home should have one. Forget about all these converter boxes, etc. I have no idea what you guys are talking about. If you want to get your computer up on the big screen just get the Apple TV and be done with all this craziness. Or am I missing something?

Collapse -
Yes, you *are* missing something
by Pepe7 / March 22, 2013 2:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Apple TV

Sure, there are methods to do what the OP needs to do, including screen mirroring if you have the correct hardware/OS/software. But I'm guessing the fact that since it involves spending another $100 and/or replacing the netbook, it may be a non-starter for the OP unfortunately Sad

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.