How To forum

Resolved Question

how do i hook up my game sytems and surround sound to tv

by crsnham / September 19, 2011 2:30 PM PDT

i have a HD tv with NO outputs.
first i want to buy and hook up surround system. secondly i need help with hooking up my wii, ps3, ps2, nes, and atari! With the best video and sound quality possible. I really need a step by step how to do each one!! ooh and I want to buy a blu ray to hook up too.... please help with advice and, reccomendations. thanks!

crsnham has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: how do i hook up my game sytems and surround sound to tv
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: how do i hook up my game sytems and surround sound to tv
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by crsnham

Collapse -
Re: TV
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 19, 2011 4:50 PM PDT

If the TV has no outputs (not even a headphone output) you can't connect any device to it to produce image or sound.
And as you don't tell anything about the available inputs on the TV, nobody can tell you how to connect other devices to the TV to receive image and sound.

Can you provide a link to the user manual of your TV?

Kees

Collapse -
thanks! here is the model number UN40D5005
by crsnham / September 20, 2011 2:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: TV

i just bought this tv on ebay, it doesn't have a manual and I can't find the link for it.
the samsung website said not found?
the inputs on the tv are RFx1, component x1, hdmi x2 and a usb port.
the ps3 is an hdmi out
the wii is componet out
the ps2 is av (yellow,red/white)
the nes and atari are RF
i want to get a Blu-ray and need a reccomendation for one that would have the inputs/outputs to help set this up
along with a surround sound system.
I realize this is a whole lot to ask but - i thought it couldn't hurt to ask - someone out there may think this stuff is easy!! I could do it piece by piece but would like to avoid buying anything (adapters and such) that I don't really need if there is a reciever, converter, blu-ray? thingy that would do it all!
Thanks in advance!!

Collapse -
Odd. Have you heard about Google?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 20, 2011 2:51 AM PDT
http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN40D5005BFXZA found it pretty fast.

The manuals and more are there. It has no audio outputs and looks to be something of a special made for price you would get at Sam's Club.

If you really need some output jack, any tech worth their salt could wire it up.
Bob
Collapse -
why buy a blueray player.the ps3 is one of the best
by billshea1 / September 20, 2011 3:02 AM PDT
the ps3 is one of the best blueray players out there.
Collapse -
why answer a question with an irrelevant question
by crsnham / September 20, 2011 12:44 PM PDT

I don't want to use my PS3 for that.
why....JUST CUZ!

Collapse -
Audio out using UN40D5005 - needs external device
by lwk3 / February 7, 2012 6:23 AM PST

The UN40D5005 ("TV") is in my bedroom (the reason I say this will become apparent)
I was able to create an audio out connection for the TV (purchased in Jan 2012 from Costco for $670) using an external A/V switch box (Aska ACV-52, 5 inputs, 2 outputs, all are RCA type connectors - Video and L/R audio - with s-video inputs for VCR and AUX).
I connected the HD CATV box and the Blu-Ray DVD player (Sony BDP-BX18, $70 from Costco, not real high-end, but all that I need in this location) directly to the TV using HDMI connectors.
I connected the RCA type audio-out connectors on both the CATV box and DVD player to the audio-in connections on the Aska box. I also connected the video and L and R audio connectors from a VCR to the appropriate input on the Aska box in case I want to watch a VCR tape - more about this later.
The two audio outputs of the Aska box are connected to a wireless headphone transmitter, to listen wirelessly (and not disturb my wife with TV sound), and the Aux audio inputs on a stereo amplifier so I can play the sound through speakers if I want.
I select the device from which I want to hear sound
using the Aska box, which selects the input device (in this case, the audio from the CATV box, DVD player and VCR). Both outputs are always active.
If I want to play sound through the external speakers (connected to the stereo amp) I must turn the amp on and adjust the volume for the speakers separately.
If I want to listen to sound from a particular device I select that device on the Aska box and select the input on the TV separately and mute the TV speakers.
If I want to use the VCR I will have to swap the output for either the amplifier or the wireless headphone transmitter for the cable, with he 3 RCA connectors, that is connected to the video-in and audio-in connectors on the TV. I will then select the VCR on the Aska box and separately select the audio and video inputs on the TV.
I admit that this is somewhat of a manual system for selecting which device to play, and occasionally having to swap cables, but at least everything is connected and I can get sound into two different external devices (the stereo amp and the wireless headphones) with relatively little effort.
All that said, I do not have another external device (PS2, XBox, etc.) to connect and I could not connect one if I did (no more room).
The best sound I will get using this setup is basic stereo, but that's all I need for my bedroom. I cannot get 5.1 or 7.1 from this arrangement.
I would think before I tried to use it in an entertainment center because of the lack of outputs on the TV.
However, I had the Aska box and RCA cables so my only investment other than for the TV was the time it took me to figure out how to execute this arrangement.
Finally, the TV is mounted on the wall (using a corner mount) and is very light (about 22 pounds), which was a consideration. It has an excellent picture, especially in HD, and we are both well satisfied with the TV.

Collapse -
didn't mean to mark this as the answer
by crsnham / September 23, 2011 4:24 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: TV

UGH! i accidently clicked on something and this was marked as best answer in error.

Collapse -
Answer
Once you do this a few times you discover this setup.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 20, 2011 3:10 AM PDT

SOURCE DEVICE (dvd/bd/game) -> HT AUDIO SYSTEM -> HDTV

If that didn't make sense, give yourself time. You'll get it once you do this a few times.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
okay
by crsnham / September 20, 2011 12:31 PM PDT

i wanted someone to advice/recommend what PARTICULAR "SYSTEM" that would have enough inputs and outputs for the types i need. (wii, ps2, ps3 and yes a blue ray (I don't want to use my ps3 for a player - why just because don't ask!) I wanted to see if someone out there could recommend the best possible audio system or perhaps a upconverter or something to convert video signals (from the nes, atari wii, ps2) to High Def. or if there is a system that does both???
I don't know if this is possible but as my first question asked - and I quote "With the best video and sound quality possible?" do you get what I am asking now???? I have my wii and ps3 hooked up right now without a sound sytem. simply I am asking.....WHAT exactly SHOULD I USE FOR MY PARTICULAR set up to get the best sound and video. what model audio sytem and perhaps a video converter or all in one??? ahhh i can't explain this anymore and it prob isn't even possible.... I give up I will probably just buy a reciever and PURCHASE any rf adapters and switch boxes and splitters that I need after the fact.but that is what I was trying to avoid. I just want to know if anyone knows of a excellent surround sound system with the proper amount of inputs/outputs for what I listed.

Found this pretty quick on wikipedia - Sarcasm is "a sharp, bitter, or cutting expression or remark; a bitter jibe or taunt."[1] Though irony and understatement is usually the immediate context,[2] most authorities sharply distinguish sarcasm from irony;[3] however, others argue that sarcasm may or often does involve irony[4] or employs ambivalence.[5] Sarcasm has been suggested as a possible bullying action in some circumstances.[6]

Collapse -
OK, here is exactly what you asked for
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / September 21, 2011 12:16 AM PDT
In reply to: okay
Collapse -
SWEET! that thing is awesome!
by crsnham / September 21, 2011 3:35 AM PDT

thanks for your reply! It is very expensive but I guess worth it. still I will have to read the reviews.
do you have one?
if anyone knows of a comparable one less than $1000.0 please let me know.
thanks again!!

Collapse -
still need help please...
by crsnham / September 23, 2011 4:18 PM PDT

i just bought a denon 1908 it has the inputs and outputs I need for my game systems but...
the tv has no outputs! how do i hook up the sound to it when watching regular cable??

the 1908 has 2 hdmi in - which i plan to use for my ps3 and a future blu ray or something and
two componet in - which i will use for the wii and ps2.
it has one hdmi out...
i haven' bought the speakers yet?? ugh! could use suggestions on that too. i didn't realize buying a new tv would lead to all this!! and now I feel i bought a crappy tv!!! i am thinking of selling it and buying a good one that has outputs!!
Suggestions??

Collapse -
Did you read Bobs advice above?
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 23, 2011 9:14 PM PDT

Let me repeat it:
"It has no audio outputs and looks to be something of a special made for price you would get at Sam's Club. If you really need some output jack, any tech worth their salt could wire it up."

Buying a TV with not-good-enough-for-your-taste built-in speakers and no audio output isn't the most smart thing to do, maybe. Personally, I'm happy with the speakers in my TV, but I realize that's just a personal opinion.

Kees

Collapse -
Why do need TV outputs?
by volvogirl / September 24, 2011 5:23 AM PDT

Everything goes INTO the tv. Or into the AV receiver and then 1 HDMI cable out to the TV. Or the audio from each thing goes to the AV receiver. You don't need to output the tv sound anywhere. And if you do you will only get sterero sound and not the full 5.1, etc. I have my PS3 to TV with HDMI cable but I have the PS3 sound going to my receiver with a Digital Optical cable.

And I have a PS3 and it is the best Bluray player and will upconvert your dvd's and they'll look a lot better.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.