TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

How do I hook up HD/DVR cable box to get 5.1 audio

by GinoShea / August 6, 2007 1:41 AM PDT

First off I appologize if this is a commonly asked questioned. I searched the CNET database to see if this has been posted before and nothing came up. Maybe I put the wrong search terms.

I have a Sony KDS-55A2020 TV. A Marantz 5.1 receiver and and a Comcast HD cable box/DVR. Plus an Oppo DVD player.

My question is, some HD cable shows are broadcast in 5.1 surround sound. I want to get that 5.1 surround sound.

Is it better to hook the Audio out from the cable/DVR to the receiver or the TV audio out to the receiver? My Oppo DVD player's audio comes through an optical cable. My Marantz receiver is about 5 years old, it doesn't have HDMI inputs.

The cable/DVR is hooked up to the TV via HDMI. The Oppo DVD player is also hooked up via HDMI. The Sony has only two HDMI inputs.

Any advice would be welcomed. Thank you.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I hook up HD/DVR cable box to get 5.1 audio
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I hook up HD/DVR cable box to get 5.1 audio
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
hook up your
by tadam1080 / August 6, 2007 3:07 AM PDT

comcast dvr with digital optical/coax straight to your receiver. i have a similar setup . i have comcast's hd-dvr, an oppo, and a receiver with no hdmi inputs. i tried runing a digital optical from the tv's digital out and got no 5.1, from the oppo or the cable box. i then ran the optical directly from the cable box and one from the oppo to my receiver and bingo, 5.1. the 5.1 sounds great on discovery hd theater and tnt weekend movies, and other on-demand stuff. i also have the oppo connected with analog for dvd-audio and sacd, and man does it sound great.

Collapse -
So, let me get this straight....
by GinoShea / August 6, 2007 3:26 AM PDT
In reply to: hook up your

I'm pretty sure my receiver has only one optical input. So, are you saying I should hook the optical (now being used for the Oppo) to link up the cable/dvr to the receiver and then use composites to hook up the audio on the Oppo to the receiver?

Thanks

Collapse -
DVR
by bevillan / August 6, 2007 3:23 AM PDT

I too have a Comcast HD-DVR cable box and a Sony SXRD TV like yours. What I do is that I run HDMI from the HD-DVR to the TV directly and then a digital optical audio cable from the HD-DVR to my receiver. Then just turn the TV volume all the way down so you are just hearing the sound through your receiver.

Works like a charm.

Collapse -
Do you have digital co-ax?
by HTHMAN / August 6, 2007 10:14 AM PDT

If you have 2 optical inputs on your receiver, hook your DVD player to one and your cable box to the other. If you only have one, you may have a digital co-ax input and your DVD player probably has an output to match. If you have neither, search Amazon.com for an optical switch. They have manual switches that allow you to connect 3 optical cables to one input.

Collapse -
My receiver has digital co-ax...
by GinoShea / August 6, 2007 12:55 PM PDT

and another optical input.

When I originally posted my inquiry I didn't realize I had a second optical input until I downloaded the receiver's instruction manual from Marantz. I lost the original in a move a few years ago.

I'm pretty sure I've got this figured out now. Thanks for the help everyone.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.