Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps

Resolved Question

How do I go back to Internet Explorer 9?

by plugger / February 28, 2013 3:35 AM PST

After reading Seth Rosenblatt's review of IE10, I downloaded it. Adobe Flash Player immediately struggled, so I deleted it and tried to download it fresh, but can't. Rather than being given the option to "run" or "save", I'm being given the option to "open" or "save", and clicking on either seems to do nothing. I had the same problem trying to update Malwarebytes. How can I go back to IE9? Or has anyone solved similar problems with IE10?

plugger has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I go back to Internet Explorer 9?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I go back to Internet Explorer 9?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Sorry, should have added
by plugger / February 28, 2013 3:46 AM PST

that my system is Windows 7 64-bit. Perhaps another solution is to download Google Chrome, and then delete IE? (I'm not tech-savvy.)

Collapse -
I found a recent article here:
by plugger / February 28, 2013 4:06 AM PST
http://www.techradar.com/us/news/software/applications/best-browser-2012-which-should-you-be-using-932466 which says that IE10 is the best browser for Windows 7, but my struggles continue. I can't download anything anymore - the window that asks if you'd like to "open", "save", or "cancel" does not respond, and I can't even x-out of the window - I have to close the entire tab to get rid of it. Also, the computer no longer remembers me anywhere - here on CNET, on Yahoo, on Facebook, I need to sign in every single time I visit, which I've never needed to do before.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by plugger

Collapse -
Re: go back
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 28, 2013 4:28 AM PST

Going back to a previous version of IE used to involve no more than uninstalling it in Control Panel. Then the previous version is re-activated.
Worth a try if it's the same now.

Kees

Collapse -
Easier Way.
by mopscare42 / March 1, 2013 4:13 AM PST
In reply to: Re: go back

Control Panel--Programs and features--View updates. it's in the upper left side.
Go through the long list until you find the IE10 update.
Hi light it and click delete.
That should remove the IE10 and go back to the previous version of IE.

Collapse -
Re: Windows update
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 1, 2013 4:25 AM PST
In reply to: Easier Way.

He says he "downloaded it". So I assume it wasn't Windows update he was using. But you may be right.

Kees

Collapse -
Kees_B
by mopscare42 / March 1, 2013 5:52 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Windows update

Yes I saw that after I posted.
When I have gone to the Microsoft site and downloaded a higher version of IE and then found problems with it, I would always remove it the way I explained. His situation may be different. and the whole procedure may have changed. it's been a couple years since I did it last time.

Collapse -
Thank you!
by plugger / March 2, 2013 9:28 AM PST

Kees and mopscare, thank you both for your kind help. I used mopscare's "easier way" and successfully returned to IE9. Thanks!

Collapse -
Your welcome
by mopscare42 / March 2, 2013 11:15 AM PST
In reply to: Thank you!

I am glad that worked.

Collapse -
Final comment
by trainer464 / March 8, 2013 11:52 PM PST
In reply to: Your welcome

I just want to add, my first post here was to explain that I tried both the uninstall and the remove update methods of getting IE10 unintalled. Neither worked. I had to get a fresh download using Chrome to get IE back, and it came back IE10. IE9 looks like it is completely gone on my box. I'll keep at this as an exercise, but it isn't pretty.

Collapse -
Not so fast (again)
by trainer464 / March 8, 2013 11:49 PM PST

Now I'm having trouble responding to message here.
There are little "bugs" that are messing with my computer. Full scans show no problems.
I guess we have to suffer until MSoft gets final version of IE10 out the door. If ever.
Gary

Collapse -
I tried mobscare way but could find no IE update to uninstal
by coloradojerry / September 15, 2013 7:20 AM PDT

I tried mobscare way but could find no IE update to uninstall. There were a variety of update groups but not IE

Collapse -
Re: go back
by Towanda55 / May 7, 2013 3:23 AM PDT

neither IE 10 nor any previous version is visible in control panel or programs and updates. how odd.
my computer doest the strangest things since updating. opens things with one click then multiple windows, closes the whole program when a page is closed........

Collapse -
Are you plugger?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 7, 2013 3:26 AM PDT

Jumping into an old discussion is fine but be sure you know what you are doing.

Maybe you are asking for help but there is no question in your post. I'm going to guess you want to scan for bad things. Here's Grif's advice in a link to follow.
Bob

-> http://forums.cnet.com/7726-6132_102-5098912.html?tag=posts;msg5099421

Collapse -
Answer
To ditch IE10
by BitsyZ / March 9, 2013 2:19 AM PST

Are restore points still available to just do a "System Restore" to previous time before IE10 was installed?

Collapse -
Mulling it over
by trainer464 / March 9, 2013 11:51 AM PST
In reply to: To ditch IE10

I have mulled over doing a restore, but I wonder how many other things I did in the meanwhile that I don't want to lose and have to do over. I remember a few drivers that I changed, but since I'm a fiddler I don't remember all the things I may have done, setting changed, etc.
I wonder how many of them don't get touched during a restore ... another question I don't know much about.
Ah, maybe I should just stick to Chrome (or other browser) and get used to it. The lazy man's way out.
Anyway, if I finish a build I'm contemplating (huge gamer) I might not have to do anything but wipe the whole HP clean!!
But thank you for have a legitimate suggestion.
Gary

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.