Windows Vista forum

How do I get Windows Update to work ?

by glorym / March 6, 2012 11:24 PM PST

For the past 2 days I keep getting an error message Code 80004002 which says Windows update encountered an unknown error. Updates cannot be accessed at all. Microsofts FixIt when used says the problem is corrected but it is not. Their other alternatives page has been discontinued. Vista 64 bit is supposed to be supported until Early 2014. What can I do?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I get Windows Update to work ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I get Windows Update to work ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Tried This Yet?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 7, 2012 2:00 AM PST

Of course, because malware can cause the issue, please download Malwarebytes from the link below, then install, update, and run a full system scan using the free program.

If that doesn't help, then please try the steps below:

Re-register the Windows Update DLL with the commands below

Click Start, then type: then type cmd in the search box, and when it's displayed at the top of the search box, RIGHT click on cmd.exe, choose "Run as administrator" from the little menu.

When the command windows loads, type the following commands at the blinking cursor. Press ENTER after each command.

regsvr32 wuapi.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll
regsvr32 wucltui.dll
regsvr32 wups.dll
regsvr32 wups2.dll
regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Close the command window and reboot the computer. Attempt to run Windows Update

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Doesn't work
by glorym / March 7, 2012 3:57 AM PST
In reply to: Tried This Yet?

Three of the DLL files did not load. They gave error messages instead (wuaueng1.dll -wucltui.dll - wups2.dll ).
My Computer is a Dell Inspiron 503S - 4GB, 320HD - Windows Vista SP2 -IE9

Collapse -
OK, But Does It Update Now?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 7, 2012 7:58 AM PST
In reply to: Doesn't work

Since you've not listed the EXACT errors for the mentioned files, occasionally, those come up as files that aren't required to be registered.. Vista 64 bit is slightly different than 32 bit.

Please give us any EXACT errors you're seeing when trying to update or when trying to register the files listed in my earlier post.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
No. I Get the Same Error For All 3.
by glorym / March 7, 2012 2:57 PM PST

The module failed to load.
Make sure the binery is stored at tlhe specified path or debug it to check for problems with the binary or dependent .DLL files.
The specified module could not be found.

Collapse -
Re: Windows update errors
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 7, 2012 3:45 PM PST
Collapse -
I Have Tried This Already - But It Also Was Useless
by glorym / March 7, 2012 7:21 PM PST

I Give up. Most of the information I need is on my second harddrive and I am therefore going to reboot my computer. I was up all night trying different suggestions from this site and the Microsoft Answers site. I wasted much time because rebooting is what I was going to do in the beginning.
Thank You All For Your Help.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.