Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

How do I get video on my MP3 player?!!!

by Jerry9254 / May 30, 2007 2:31 PM PDT

I just received an Archos 604, and it's amazing. The thing is, I want to put DVD's onto it. Problem is, I have no idea how to do this! I can't figure out how to get the DVD onto the computer in a small file (Xvid, Divx, MPEG-4, etc.). I don't know how (or if it is even possible) to do it via Windows Media Player 11, and I've tried downloading tons of stuff that do it (DVDx, Divx converter, AutoGK). But none of those are Vista compatible, and that's a big problem for me.

So basically I wanna know how to get DVD's into AVI or MP4 formats, and then how to get those onto my 604. Btw, I use WMP 11, so if you could tell me how to get those DVD's onto WMP11, i'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance to anyone who helps.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I get video on my MP3 player?!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I get video on my MP3 player?!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have you try this?
by ahtoi / May 31, 2007 3:03 AM PDT
Collapse -
by Alexjhp / May 31, 2007 7:47 AM PDT

I have the Archos 404. To put DVDs on it you have to get a dock(tavel dock $40 an amazon; DVR dock $70 an amazon) and record from the DVD player. The problem you have is that the computer recognizes it as protected content and wont copy it. The Travel dock records in AVI but I think you can choose what format with the DVR dock. If you dont have a charger I recomend the DVR dock because it charges through the wall(you can charge while recording) and has more features than the travel dock. The travel dock is just a clip on thing with AV cables but it cant charge. The charger is another $20 anyway and I can only find it on the Archos website. Also, once you record the DVD it is still copy protected. It will only play from the player.

Collapse -
Hmm... hold on here....
by Jerry9254 / May 31, 2007 8:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Dock

first poster: Yes, I tried the DivX, and it was incompatible with vista; well, at least the converter was (and that's the one i really wanted Sad )
But I'm going to try it again, except this time I'm gonna go download it onto this old XP. Hopefully it will work, and i'll just use it like that until it finally becomes Vista compatible.

Alex: Good idea, but, man, there is no way i'm buying another dock for this thing, 'specially since i just got the A/C and USB dock (the cheapest one :P).
P.S. If i have to resort to buying the dock, when you record from it, do you still have all the controls (like play, special features, fast forward, etc.,) or do you just watch what you record?

Well, I'll download DivX again on the XP, but if anyone has any other suggestions, I'd like to hear em ;).

Collapse -
Don't worry, I got it.
by Jerry9254 / June 1, 2007 5:30 AM PDT

Well, I found this guide on how to rip a DVD player, by someone named Elliot Black, i think. What I needed was a certain Vista compatible version of DVD Decrypter, and a Vista compatible version of Auto Gordian Knot. I finally got my first video onto my archos.:D

Well, I don't need anymore help, the above statement was just for anyone else who needed similar help.

Collapse -
(NT) Google Handbrake.
by fbbbb / June 1, 2007 9:26 AM PDT
Collapse -
I'll point you in the right direction
by ktreb / June 5, 2007 12:39 PM PDT
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.