Samsung

General discussion

How do I get TV sound through surround sound speakers?

by bagcatblue / December 28, 2009 8:20 PM PST

I have a Samsung LE46B650T2 HD television and a Samsung HT-BD1252 5.1 channel Blu-ray Home cinema system. I have followed all the instructions for connecting leads etc and everything works i.e. TV is receiving sound and pictures and blu-ray is playing discs and surround sound speakers are all working. What I want to do is hear sound through the surround sound speakers when watching ordinary TV programmes and according to the instruction manual (pg 65) I should be able to through the Anynet+ function. However, when I go to the Anynet+ device list my home cinema system is not listed. I have made sure that Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) is set to On in the Application menu. I have also connected the optical in jack of the home cinema system to the digital audio out (optical) jack of the tv, but I am still not getting sound out of the home cinema speakers when watching tv.
Can any one help please?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I get TV sound through surround sound speakers?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I get TV sound through surround sound speakers?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
tv sound
by DPINTN / December 29, 2009 2:34 AM PST

I have the optical out on my direct tv satellite reciever going to my optical in on my home theatre and it works great.

I know you may not have that option but if you do, give it a try

Collapse -
Surround sound
by bagcatblue / December 29, 2009 6:30 AM PST
In reply to: tv sound

Thanks for suggestion but I don't have a satellite receiver - maybe I should get one!

Collapse -
RE: How do I get TV sound through surround sound speakers?
by Gunderstorm / December 29, 2009 7:05 AM PST

So besides the HT itself (be it DVD or Blu-Ray), you can really only connect one other component with the expectation of 5.1 audio, correct?

If I have a cable set-top box and an Xbox, I can only connect one to the optical audio "in". That bites. Kinda makes me question the label "home theater".

Collapse -
Question-Please Help!!!!!!!!
by mbgscla / May 1, 2011 10:57 PM PDT

My DishNetwork Reciever is connected to my TV via Video 1. If I connect the optical cables to the DishNetwork Reciever and to the Home Theatre as suggested above...What should the input on the Home Theatre be for the sound from the TV to come through?

Collapse -
Question-Please Help!!!!!!!! -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 2, 2011 4:54 AM PDT

mbgscla,

Collapse -
samsung hdtv and samsung surround sound not working properly
by dantheman13stevo / January 31, 2015 2:18 AM PST

hi, i have pretty much the sme problem, this is what i have, i have a samsung 50" smart tv with sky plus connected to tv via hdmi then the surround sound connected via hdmi and optical , on my tv i have anynet + device which picks up the sky box but not the blueray and before i was able to turn surround on aswell as tv and have the sound going thru the surround for sky and all was fine but last week it has stopped for some reason, i have reset everything changed cables tried to get anynet to pick up blueray but it still doesnt want to work and is very fustrating please help

Collapse -
Note: you top posted this too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2015 2:49 AM PST
Collapse -
Home Theater surround sound for TV programs
by chikusri / August 27, 2013 1:22 PM PDT

Hello bagcatblue,
I am in the exact situation now - trying to connect TV to the Blu-Ray home theatre and trying to get the normal tv programs (not played through dish, but played using smart tv app) related sound to pass it through the home theatre rather than TV speakers - Did you have any luck performing that at that time?
Thanks

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.