Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

How do I get text and screen material to become bigger

by milapon / June 9, 2005 1:02 PM PDT

Hi I have windoxs xp sp2. When I went to the computer the next morning, it seemed most everything on the screen had shrunk. Much of the text is smaller and some of the websites, etc only take up half the screen or so. I've tried everything to remedy this-font size, change text size-no luck. Thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I get text and screen material to become bigger
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I get text and screen material to become bigger
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Desktop or browser?
by dagger906 / June 9, 2005 2:03 PM PDT

I assume this is browser, since not knowing about desktop resolution would be beneath you... ^_^

In Firefox, go to Tools -> Opinions -> General -> Fonts & Colors -> and change the font size on screen

Not sure about IE, but it should be somewhat similar...

Collapse -
Change screen resolution
by caktus / June 9, 2005 3:33 PM PDT

Right click on the Desktop ->then left click Properties -> Settings -> Extreme Graphics -> Graphics Properties -> Devices

In the Screen Area drop down menu select the next higher screen area resolution size then left click Apply.

The screen will go black for a second then the change to the new resolution size.

If this new rsolution size is correct then click OK.

If it is not the correct resolution size then click Cancel, or wait 15 seconds and it it will change back automatically. Then you can try again until you get a suitable resolution size.

Collapse -
Click etc.
by phantazy / June 9, 2005 4:30 PM PDT

Toni's tip: Click on page and press + and control simultaneously, works with - also.

Collapse -
Or in IE...
by Adi / June 9, 2005 9:27 PM PDT
In reply to: Click etc.

Go to View --> Text Size --> Medium (medium is the default).

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) For text, not screen resolution size.
by caktus / June 10, 2005 7:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Or in IE...
Collapse -
RE: Click etc.
by caktus / June 10, 2005 7:48 AM PDT

Tried this as written trying both + keys and both mouse buttons. could there be something more to it?

Collapse -
Click etc.
by phantazy / June 10, 2005 9:26 AM PDT
In reply to: RE: Click etc.

When you open a page with the left mouse buttom, then press the plus key (above =) and ctrl key the text of the page expands. To reverse press - key and ctrl key.

Collapse -
I see. It also works by...
by caktus / June 10, 2005 11:06 AM PDT

rolling the mouse wheele while holding the Ctrl key.

Collapse -
ctrl>+
by john3347 / December 6, 2008 12:17 AM PST
In reply to: RE: Click etc.

Open the page then press the "Ctrl" key first. While holding the "Ctrl" key, press either the "+" or the "-" key on the number pad and the active window will respond accordingly. When you are satisfied with the window size, release all keys and do whatever you want to do.

Collapse -
Change Screen Size
by mhclupe / December 5, 2008 10:27 PM PST

Thanks Toni! That worked like a charm.
Lupe

Collapse -
Screen type smaller
by JustBill / June 10, 2005 8:24 AM PDT

Do you have automatic downlaods for Windows updates? I downloaded the latest update yesterday and when I restarted my computer the screen resolution had been changed and everything was smaller. All of my Icons were also lined up on the left side of the screen. Could this be what has caused your problem?

Collapse -
text/screen image shrank
by milapon / June 10, 2005 9:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Screen type smaller

That is exactly what happened. some web sites are fine. Others, like hotmail, the text is tiny and/or the screen view is apporx half of what it was. Nothing seems to work to change this back.

Collapse -
Have you tried...
by caktus / June 10, 2005 11:17 AM PDT

adjusting the Horizontal and Vertical Size and Position? Then if neccesary readjusting the Screen Roslution Size?

Collapse -
Hey, Just bill...
by caktus / June 10, 2005 11:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Screen type smaller

Do you happen to recall what particular Windows Update it was?

Collapse -
text/screen mysterious shrank
by milapon / June 10, 2005 11:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Hey, Just bill...

I actually don't know what windows update it was. It would guess lots of other people had the same thing happen to their computer.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.