Desktops forum

General discussion

How do I get rid of 'Unknown Device'?

by Jakeman97 / September 20, 2008 9:30 PM PDT

Using Windows XP Pro SP3. How do I get rid of an "Unknown Device" with a Yellow question mark in my Device Manager? By process of elimination, I believe it to be my UPS by American Power Systems. Attaching it to the computer was an optional step and it does not need to be there to function, and in addition I am unable to find the software to reinstall it.
I have tried deleting the device in the device manager but it always returns, and I get the old "Windows XP has found new Hardware do you wish to etc. etc."
Thanks in advance for any help offered,

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I get rid of 'Unknown Device'?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I get rid of 'Unknown Device'?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Microsoft tells...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 20, 2008 10:36 PM PDT

Read and you find the answer is to install the driver for it.

There is no issue for speed, performance if you don't fix it. This can be cosmetic and as such I'll just leave it as-is, where-is and use the machine without fixing.

Collapse -
Re: Install Driver for Device
by Jakeman97 / September 20, 2008 11:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Microsoft tells...

Hi Bob,
Thanks for the reply and MS link. As I said in my post I don't have the software for the device with the drivers on it.

Collapse -
Then why not "use it"?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 20, 2008 11:11 PM PDT

The item in device manager is purely cosmetic and should not be causing any glitches.

Collapse -
Re: Glitches
by Jakeman97 / September 20, 2008 11:30 PM PDT
In reply to: Then why not "use it"?

Hi R.Proffitt,
Right you are. Not causing any glitches; but it bugs me 'cause it's there.

Collapse -
Sorry. I should have noted one last easy.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 20, 2008 11:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Glitches

Note what it is exactly then boot SAFE MODE. Remove it in Safe Mode.

Sorry if that works or not because I should have noted this old trick above.

Collapse -
by Dango517 / September 26, 2008 2:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Microsoft tells...

Bob's right just leave it alone. You could however right click it and attempt to up date it's driver from device manager. If this does the trick (sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't) then just plug it back in.

You might look for events concerning this device in event viewer. If there are then you might wish to take extra efforts to re-install it. No events, no problems.

I hate it when that happens. Happy Those annoying false alarms. Grin They drive me crazy. Mischief

Collapse -
If it is the UPS . . .
by Coryphaeus / September 20, 2008 10:37 PM PDT

have you tried disconnecting the USB/parallel connector? Most UPS software is Bulldog.

Collapse -
Re: Disconnect USB Cable
by Jakeman97 / September 20, 2008 11:06 PM PDT
In reply to: If it is the UPS . . .

Hi Coreyphaeus,
Thanks for the reply. I did disconnect the USB cable to device. I should have mentioned that in my post.

Collapse -
Disconnecting ths USB Cord is probably the cause
by lakephillip / September 26, 2008 6:20 PM PDT

The Yellow shield is there to tell you your product isn't working, or communicating with your computer, to take instuctions on how to act and respond. So connect your USB cable. If you don't have the software,it's ok. Windows navtive work just fine. You just look on the UPS tab on your power properties and match the probable UPS model. You can usually find the model number on the back of the UPS.
Even that isn't as important as telling the UPS what to do during a power outage, how long to stay on during power outage, whether to go to hibernation. Hope some of this helps

Collapse -
Re: Device Manager & Disconnecting USB Cable
by Jakeman97 / September 26, 2008 9:26 PM PDT

Oh your right! Never thought of that when I disconnect all the cables to clean inside of computer / fans / etc. live in a very dusty, damp environment and it's a once a month chore at least. I'm going to try what the OP suggested in the thread and update the drivers from Windows Base...I found out that Microsoft supplied the software for this product originally. Thanks to all for your suggestions. I all else fails, I'll just leave well enough alone.

Collapse -
not able to install audio drivers
by antonio g. valle frend / September 27, 2008 12:16 AM PDT

Will you please help me on how to install the Conexant amc 3d enviromental audio to my laptop a Compaq Presario f767 nr .I originally purchase this unit at Best buy and had a Vista Home premium factory installed by HP, but I decided to run XP proff. sp2 and so far HP does not allowed to Intall it.I tried to download a UAA driver from Microsoft and using Driver Agent, I had installed all the other drivers,I will settle to have at least any generic drive for this notebook.Compaq Presario F767 or F700 Amd Turion 64x2 Mobile Technology TL-60 ,Nvidia Geforce 7000M/nforce 610M display drivers,Bios date 2007.12.07,chipset athlon 1100 rev o,Thanks for your help,Tony,

Collapse -
Here's a similar plea.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 27, 2008 12:19 AM PDT
Collapse -
Try unplugging device
by GENE8 / September 27, 2008 3:31 AM PDT

You need to unplug the device from your computer before you uninstall the driver in device manager. As long as the device is plugged into your computer, it will continue to appear in device manager, even if you try to delete it from there. Or you can try looking for the device in the "Safely Remove Hardware" area in the system tray and uninstall it from there. If you still get the "found new hardware" message after you try these methods, then you should allow Windows to go ahead and install the driver again. After that, you should be able to see the device in device manager instead of seeing "unknown device" with a question mark.Once the device has been restored to the device manager without that error message, you can then go ahead and uninstall the driver for good.

Collapse -
Why not install the driver?
by ClaudeM / September 27, 2008 5:22 AM PDT

If you have narrowed the device down to the APC UPS, why not install the correct driver from ? Try the following link and download the appropiate UPS software for your particular UPS.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.