Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

Question

how do i get rid of Trojan.Generic.9981494 on windows XP

by CarlT88 / November 21, 2013 5:00 AM PST

i have fsecure and XoftSpySE and both cannot fully remove this trojan. it seems to be duplicating itself everytime its removed its instantly back. it is apparently in a folder called system volume information but it says access denied when i try to open the folder of delete it. it is a file folder located in c:/ any ideas?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: how do i get rid of Trojan.Generic.9981494 on windows XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: how do i get rid of Trojan.Generic.9981494 on windows XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
This Trojan..
by Dafydd Forum moderator / November 21, 2013 5:11 AM PST

... is in system restore. Google remove all restore points xp for a guide to remove.

Dafydd.

Collapse -
Explanation.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / November 21, 2013 5:30 AM PST
In reply to: This Trojan..

From Bleeping Computer. "

Deleting Restore Points

There are three known safe ways to delete restore points stored on your computer. These ways are described below:

Disk Cleanup - Launch the Disk Cleanup tool and then select the more options tab. On this tab you will find a section for System Restore. If you press the Clean Up button for that section, Windows will delete all restore points except for the most recent one.

Turn off System Restore - Just by turning off System Restore all your restore points will be deleted. Unless you want this to happen, be careful that you don't mistakenly delete all your restore points by disabling system restore.

System Restore runs out of storage space - If system restore runs out of the storage space that has been allocated towards its use, it will delete the oldest restore point in order to create space for the new restore point.

Problems with System Restore

There are some problems associated with System Restore when it comes to viruses. When restore points are created they are stored in a directory that is accessible only to the System account and not to a user. This keeps the restore points safe from misuse and tampering. Unfortunately this also means that any virus scan software you may have installed can not scan the files located there as well. This causes a problem if a file that is infected with a virus gets backed up into a restore point because now the anti-virus software can not clean it. Now if you ever restore from a restore point, that file that is infected will be introduced back into your system.

With this in mind, if you find that you are infected with a virus, hijacker, or spyware and want to make sure you do not get reinfected if you restore a restore point, you should turn System Restore off and then back on again to clear all the restore points. This will guarantee that their are no infected files that could be restored."

Dafydd.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.