Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

How do I get rid of the paragraph symbol in Outlook?

by jimsail / December 7, 2006 7:30 PM PST

I held down or hit the wrong key while typing an email in Outlook and the paragraph symbol is added to each line I type. How do I get rid of this? I must have hit a shortcut key to add this but don't know what I did. Please Help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I get rid of the paragraph symbol in Outlook?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I get rid of the paragraph symbol in Outlook?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Removing the paragraph symbol in outlook
by rajkumar_p / January 23, 2007 8:17 AM PST

Reply to an e-mail or compose a new one. Click on Tools > Options > View > Formatting Marks. Uncheck paragraph option.

Collapse -
Thank You
by jzerr / April 2, 2007 3:54 AM PDT

A user had managed to turn this on and I thought I looked everywhere in the options menu for this, the 'ALL' was checked which caused me to completely overlook that section.

Thanks for the help.

Collapse -
Same formating marks problem, only with Outlook 2007
by bhamer54 / November 6, 2007 9:47 AM PST

I have the same problem as the original poster, only I think they had a different version of Outlook than I do.

Does anyone know how to turn off the formating marks on Outlook 2007? "Click on Tools > Options > View > Formatting Marks. Uncheck paragraph option." I tried to do that, but could not figure out how... I think that they changed the setting location for this in the 2007 version...

I looked in Word 2007 as someone sugested above, but Word is not experiencing this problem. So changing the settings on Word would only make things worse I imagine...

Thanks for any help in advance!

Collapse -
Outlook 2007
by anthonyrdrgz / November 15, 2007 4:43 AM PST

For Outlook 2007, open a new message and hit the Format Text tab. If you are in the "To:" field all the options for Formatting are greyed out. Click into the body of your message and this will unlock your options. In the paragraph section you'll see the paragraph symbol highlighted, simply click it once to turn it off.

Collapse -
Turning Off Paragraph Markings
by cgeier / January 28, 2008 2:37 AM PST
In reply to: Outlook 2007

I just did this to myself as well, you can also turn this off by first clicking in the message window and then hitting Ctrl+Shift+8. I had to do a search for that answer.

Collapse -
How can I submit a complaint to Microsoft Outlook for this
by prseitz / April 12, 2008 2:10 AM PDT

This has to be the dumbest functionality I've ever see. I also hit some unknown combination of keys while typing a message and got this idiotic paragraph markings. The complaint I'd like to submit would be on these points:

1) The method of turning on the paragraph markings has got to be better designed, accidentally hitting a secret combination of keys that are typically used in typing a message is simply not acceptable.
2) Relying on online forums to solve or learn how to turn off paragraph markings is just simple sloppy programming.
3) My suggestion, if 1) is not better designed or understood, then when paragraph markings are shown for whatever reason, a small pop window should display with easy instructions of how to turn it off.

This would be sensible, having this massively different format suddenly appear is extremely distressing when coupled with a very important business or personal email composition - which is typically when these little accidental key combinations are struck.

Collapse -
Re: paragraph marks.
by Kees Bakker / April 12, 2008 9:11 PM PDT

I like them. It's one of the first things I check in a new Office install. It helps me to make the lay-out as I want it.

Collapse -
I agree!
by StorageGal / May 20, 2011 1:11 AM PDT

ugh...what a pain. Who decided THAT was a good idea??

Collapse -
Removing Paragraph Markings
by mostgrateful / April 23, 2010 3:41 AM PDT

So very much appreciated the simple answer to a most annoying problem. Very helpful: (Click in message window; then CTR+SHIFT+8.)

Collapse -
It worked.
by constantinejj / July 25, 2011 8:44 AM PDT

CTRL + SHIFT + 8 helped just like that, the issue very annoying and this one provided a quick fix, thank you so much.

Collapse -
removing paragraph markings
by elaslita / September 3, 2011 12:39 AM PDT

this was the MOST helpful and EASIEST! thanks so much!

Collapse -
Removing Paragraph Markings
by RainbowSeeker1949 / March 12, 2012 1:24 AM PDT

Two years later... I had same problem in Word. Your guidance solved my problem. Thanks!

Collapse -
by mostgrateful / June 12, 2010 5:57 AM PDT

I thank you again for that easy way to resolve this issue (the second time it's happened to me.)

Collapse -
Thank you
by powlax / November 8, 2010 4:56 AM PST

YOu saved me tons of time fixing this... Thank you

Collapse -
Paragraph Markings
by mostgrateful / December 28, 2010 9:03 AM PST

Thank you for that very helpful solution again. I've had to use it several times.

Collapse -
by STREZA / January 30, 2011 10:32 PM PST

I have just tried this .
it worked .... Thanks a lot

Collapse -
Turning off the paragraph key.
by Lorelie53 / October 26, 2011 3:15 AM PDT

Thank you so much for the help.
The ctrl+shift+8 key worked.
Very grateful since I turned it on my accident and had not way to turn it off.

Collapse -
Thank you, thank you. Turning Off Paragraph Markings
by paulabgrn / November 16, 2011 6:41 AM PST

Thank you so much for Ctrl + Shift + 8 (by the way shift + 8 is what you use to type an asterisk** *)
Hard to believe they still haven't fixed this or addressed it through Outlook help. All of the results I received from Outlook help were for articles and forums like this one.

Collapse -
Very useful..... Ctrl + shift + 8 (below * mark)....
by udaydeo / January 16, 2012 11:19 AM PST
Thanks a lot.
Collapse -
thanks for the help - paul 12/08/08
by n1lrt / December 8, 2008 11:11 AM PST

do not know how it got turned on but I do know how to turn it off now, thanks again

Collapse -
This worked perfectly
by jdix / January 21, 2010 1:13 PM PST

I knew this had to be something simple but also knew I could save time by researching the answer online. Thank you for your answer to resolving the paragraph symbol issue I was having.

Collapse -
by Yaarik / February 1, 2011 6:07 PM PST

Works like a charm. Thanks!

Collapse -
Thank you for this great tip!!
by tatarobles / February 14, 2011 9:49 AM PST

thank you for helping me get rid of the

Collapse -
That Dang Paragraph Symbol!!
by jjohnson101084 / February 9, 2012 10:35 PM PST

Hi Anthony!

The situation that I'm having is that the paragraph symbol is automatically turned on when I try to type a new email. I thought that I would only have to click it once to turn it off as well..but.....I have to do it each time I compose an email! This is getting frustrating! I don't know what I did differently beforehand to make this happen (other than change my signature line)! Please give some insight if you can!

Collapse -
Paragraph Symbol
by jjohnson101084 / February 9, 2012 10:37 PM PST

Oh, another thing that I forgot to addition to turning it off each time so I can type my email, it always comes back!!! As soon as I would start typing, it automatically comes turns back on!! What am I missing here!?

Collapse -
Different Fix
by tyoung33 / June 2, 2009 3:34 AM PDT

The shortcut key I found for this was SHIFT + CTRL + * (asterisk must not be from the number keypad). Worked for me! You have to do it in the view you are looking at though. It can be set differently from received mail vs. mail you are composing.

Collapse -
by kbo403 / August 28, 2009 1:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Different Fix

thanks! Easy fix instead of putzing through menus.

Collapse -
Delete paragraph symbol; delete dots between words
by Dianne T / April 23, 2009 3:54 AM PDT

Office 2003
Toshiba Satellite laptop - new

I can't write an email without having a paragraph symbol and dots between words. It has to be something with the keyboard and vista, but not sure. Help!@

Collapse -
Those fixes suggested above
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 28, 2009 7:01 AM PDT

Did those fixes offered above not work for you?

Collapse -
How do I get rid of the paragraph symbol in Outlook
by Ccronyn / September 17, 2009 12:58 AM PDT

I have somehow hit an incorrect key and now at the end of each line I see a paragraph symbol.

How do I get rid of this symbol?

Thank you.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.