Samsung

Question

How do I get rid of the black bar on the bottom of TV screen

by katsimbusm / June 4, 2011 6:28 AM PDT

Hi. I have a Samsung PS59D8000. Whenever I watch free to air HDTV there is a thick black bar on the bottom of the screen and the picture is cut off on the bottom from it. I have set the picture to be 16:9 format, however I still have this problem no matter what picture setting I use.

Please help!!!

Is the product faulty?

Thanks in advance.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I get rid of the black bar on the bottom of TV screen
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I get rid of the black bar on the bottom of TV screen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Black bar
by techno-q / June 4, 2011 8:52 AM PDT

What is the TV connected to? an over-the-air antenna? a cable box? What type cable/wires/leads connect the unit to the external device? Do you have the same problem on all sources? Without this information I have no guess as to why you are getting the black bar. I will say 16:9 is the proper picture size for you unit to show a full screen. If the picture size is set to 16:9, then the source or input device is controlling the size.

Collapse -
black bar
by katsimbusm / June 4, 2011 9:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Black bar

My TV is just connected to an antenna (rabbit ears) and that's it.

The black bar occurs on all sources.

Collapse -
Black Bar
by techno-q / June 4, 2011 10:04 AM PDT
In reply to: black bar

You can try to reset the TV back to factory default settings as sometimes the reset does indeed correct a problem/glitch. With the TV on and using the Samsung remote control, press and hold the EXIT button. It will take 8 to 12 seconds before the TV asks if you want to reset to the defaults. Answer 'Yes' or 'OK' and the unit will shut itself off. Leave it off for a few minutes so all internal components are reset and any electrical energy is discharged. When you turn the TV on it will be as it was when it came out of the box. You will have to do the auto-program again. If this does not correct the problem and you have the bar on all channels, I would suggest calling Samsung Customer Care at 1-800-SAMSUNG because your unit will likely need to be serviced.

Hope this helps.
TQ

Collapse -
Back Bar
by katsimbusm / June 4, 2011 10:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Black Bar

I tried your suggestion...still the same problem.

Thanks anyway.

Collapse -
Sorry it didn't work
by techno-q / June 4, 2011 11:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Back Bar

katsimbusm,

You can do a picture test on that TV by going to Menu>Support>Self Diagnosis>Picture Test. If you have the black bar at the bottom of your screen there, you TV will definitely need to be serviced. If the black bar is not visible in the picture test, then something other than the TV is the problem.

Collapse -
Black bar
by katsimbusm / June 4, 2011 11:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry it didn't work

tried that too...still had the black bar during the test.

Looks like I'm going to have to ring Samsung.

Disappointing....

Thanks techno-q for your help.

Collapse -
Apologies
by techno-q / June 4, 2011 11:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Black bar

Sorry I could give you no positive help. On the up side, your TV is in warranty so it won't cost you anything.

Collapse -
Answer
How do I get rid of the black bar on the bottom of TV screen
by yairamac / June 9, 2011 5:22 AM PDT

If the bar that appears in the bottom is showing the energy saving logo, hdmi, dolby surround and pc mode capabilities look into your remote.

*Press TOOLS (is located in the center of your remote in the left corner of the arrows next to menu).
*Down Arrow to DEMO
*Right Arrow turn OFF
*Press the Center button.

I hope this help you solve the problem Happy

Collapse -
energy saving logo at bottom of screen
by scrappergirl19 / January 22, 2012 8:27 AM PST

Thank you so much. This was driving me crazy. Turning demo off solved my problem!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.