Computer Help forum

How Do I Get Rid of Pop-Ups?

by bestnews / November 29, 2012 8:59 AM PST

Not on my Yahoo or Google pages, but on my blog sites
pop-up ads are showing at the top of my blog sites. They say "ads not by this site."

Any suggestions on how to get rid of these critters?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How Do I Get Rid of Pop-Ups?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How Do I Get Rid of Pop-Ups?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Use Alt-T -> Pop-up blocker
by wpgwpg / November 29, 2012 9:13 AM PST

Hold down the ALT button and press T. You'll get a drop-down menu. Click where it says Pop-up blocker and turn it on.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Ad Block Plus
by in2horses247 / November 30, 2012 9:45 PM PST

If you don't have Google Chrome, get it. It's the best browser out there, in my opinion. Once you have it, go to the Chrome Web Store and get the Ad Block Plus extension. It will block popups and ads on any site including Youtube.

Collapse -
Let's understand this question correctly, please....
by btljooz / November 30, 2012 11:23 PM PST

The way I understand your question is that you want to block the banner ads showing up at the top of your blog sites which has absolutely nothing to do with simply blocking pop-ups with a web browser while surfing the internet. Correct? I just wanted to interject some true understanding of your real problem
before anyone else suggests what "pop-up blocker" to use on your

If I am correct in my understanding, there IS a way to do this. However, unfortunately, this is something that I can not tell you precisely how to do.

That said, only judging just from a somewhat savvy internet surfers' point of view I've noticed that certain sites, gov sites in particular, do not allow scripts from sites other than their own to run on their pages. Their pages are devoid of any type of pop-up/under and banner traffic other than what they themselves put there. If I were you I'd check into finding out how to block scripts originating from other sites from running on your own sites. This is where I would start if it were me. It might be interesting to see how close I am to your problem and its solution with this idea of mine.

Good Luck! Happy

Collapse -
Re: ads on blog pages
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 30, 2012 11:40 PM PST

Let's consider the option that the company that owns that site that you make blogs on, wants to see some money to pay the servers and the staff and the owners. And let's suppose that you don't pay them. Then they get their money from the ads shown. Nothing wrong with that.

If it aren't your blogs (blogs you wrote), but just blogs you read, then "you" in the paragraph above must be read as "the writer" or "the blogger".

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.