Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

How do I get podcasts from itunes into my non-ipod MP3 plyr?

by monkeymind400 / July 19, 2008 7:04 AM PDT

Finally bought a cheap Sylvania MP3 player (so far, it's great)which I only use for audio books and podcasts. I like iTunes for downloading podcasts, but I can't seem to figure out how to get them from iTunes to my MP3 player. I have to use Windows Media player which is quite a lengthy and convoluted process.

I sure wish they'd keep things a bit simpler. I would like to just be able to right click or drag them to my player and I'll delete them when I'm done using them. I'm not a fan of the automatic syncing features.

Is it possible to transfer them to my MP3 player directly from iTunes or do I need to use another software?

- PKIS (Please, keep it simple)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I get podcasts from itunes into my non-ipod MP3 plyr?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I get podcasts from itunes into my non-ipod MP3 plyr?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The path is...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 19, 2008 8:00 AM PDT

Use itunes then burn to CD then rip to MP3 and then put it on with WMP.

Collapse -
answer: don't do it within iTunes
by ktreb / July 19, 2008 8:35 AM PDT

You don't need to autosync. Find out where iTunes puts your podcasts. If you used the default settings when you set up iTunes then they should be in your iTunes Music folder in "My Music", then go to podcasts and you should see folders for your different podcasts. If that is not the case, go to the podcast section in the left pane so that you can see all of your podcasts in the main window. Right click on a podcast episode and select "get info." Look on the bottom of the summary tab, which will be the first one. Following "where" is the pathway to your podcast.

Connect your mp3 player to your computer. Then drag and drop from your podcast folder to your player.

If all of your podcasts are in mp3 that should be all you need to do. Some podcasts are in AAC, but the publishers usually give you a choice. If not, you can convert to mp3 within iTunes. You just need to make sure that your preferences are to import/rip music using mp3 encoder (Default setting is usually to AAC). Then all you need to do is right click on the podcast and select "convert selection to mp3." Then find you file(s) and drag and drop to your player.

No need to autosync or burn to cd and re-rip.

Collapse -
oops, I need to clarify
by ktreb / July 19, 2008 8:38 AM PDT

In the first paragraph, I meant to add that if you don't know where your podcasts are, open up iTunes.

Then you can go to the podcast section in the left pane to view your podcasts in the main window and take it from there.

Collapse -
Thanks!!!
by monkeymind400 / July 20, 2008 3:32 AM PDT

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!! Your solution is perfect! WMP is soooo confusing and iTunes wants to force you to buy an ipod which doesn't have DRM for audiobooks from a library. I won't be buying any songs from them anymore because of this compatibility problem.

Your solution is easy, thanks again!

- PKIS

Collapse -
"iTunes wants to force you to buy an ipod
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 20, 2008 3:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks!!!

I use iTunes and don't use my iPod on the laptop. It works just great.

-> Where is the force?

Collapse -
PS. Also we have badfruit.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 20, 2008 4:59 AM PDT
Collapse -
The download link for "badapple" didn't work
by monkeymind400 / July 20, 2008 6:43 AM PDT

Tried to download but got the page does not exist.

Collapse -
Good last week.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 20, 2008 6:44 AM PDT

Not my site and I don't download it everyday.

Collapse -
no problem...
by ktreb / July 20, 2008 4:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks!!!

And you shouldn't buy from iTunes anyway unless:
1) you have an iPod
2) or if you don't have an iPod, you buy iTunes Plus (non-DRM'ed) tracks
3) have a non-iPod player that supports unprotected AAC (such as the newer Sony Walkman mp3 players and Creative Zen) without conversion. If you have to convert to mp3, what's the point?

Amazon's mp3 download store is pretty good and it is my preferred download store for even this iPod user.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.