Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps

General discussion

How Do I Get Icons From Favorite Websites To My Desktop?

by Catamount Panther / March 20, 2006 12:59 AM PST

I like the proprietory icons from my favorite websites to show up on my desktop rather than the generic, dull IE icon. A few of the icons from my favorite websites do appear on my desktop, but not all. How can I get the icons onto my desktop. Currently, when I'm at a website, I click on "File", "Send", "Shortcut to Desktop". Some of the icons transfer, but others don't. Please let me know what I can do to get websites that have their proprietory icons to transfer to my desktop.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How Do I Get Icons From Favorite Websites To My Desktop?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How Do I Get Icons From Favorite Websites To My Desktop?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
depending on your browser
by jonah jones / March 20, 2006 1:11 AM PST

firefox:
place the cursor to the left of http:// in the address bar and it turns into a hand, you just drag the icon to desktop
IE:
left or right click the icon and drag to desktop

jonah

Collapse -
Icons & Browsers....(cont.)
by Catamount Panther / March 22, 2006 5:18 AM PST

Thanks Jonah for your advice. However, I've noticed that about 95% of the websites don't have their icon at the left of their web address (http://www.....). Yet, it seems that there have been some sites that have transported their proprietory icon when I selected the site as one of my "Favorites". But, I can't tell which ones, so I could be mistaken. Is there another way to capture the sites proprietory icon to use on my desktop if it doesn't appear at the left of their website as you advised?

Collapse -
Favorite ICONS saved
by steve11375 / March 23, 2006 6:46 AM PST

Hi Panther,

I use IE6 and save my websites in my favorites (not the desktop??), many websites have fancy ICONS which are only temporary but you can save them pretty easily if you don't save them, they revert to the "DULL IE ICONS"

First, make a new folder on your C Drive, I made C:/ICONS

1. Open a site and add it to your Favorites and if the site has a special ICON you will see it in your favorites. Unfortunately, it's only temporary & will go away in a day or two.

2. How to save the ICON..Go to IE TOOLS>INTERNET OPTIONS>TEMPORARY INTERNET FILES>SETTINGS>VIEW FILES> there you will see type files in Alphabetical order, scroll down until you find ICO files, you will see the ICON for the site you just added there.

3. Copy that file to the folder you created above and name it for the site, as an example change the name from FAVICON.ICO to say YAHOO.ICO if it's a Yahoo ICON.

4, Final step to save the ICON, click on Favorites in IE, choose the site & right click on the site, Click properties, Click Change ICON, CLICK BROWSE, select the folder C:/ICONS and the ICON you saved, then it's permenent

I'm not sure this answered your question but Hope it helps!!

Steve

Collapse -
Steve - Thanks, Your Suggestion Works!
by Catamount Panther / April 4, 2006 11:45 PM PDT
In reply to: Favorite ICONS saved

Great instructions, Steve. Now, I think I've got most of the "fancy" icons from various websites (that have them) instead of the dull, genereic IE's or Firefox's.

Collapse -
Favicons
by byker49 / April 6, 2006 3:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Favorite ICONS saved
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.