Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

How do I free up space on my D: drive?

by Rodger-dodger / June 18, 2011 3:25 AM PDT

I have tried disk clean up along with deleting all but the most recent system restore point. I have uninstalled programs not being used. I have tried defragmenting and have checked the disk for errors, but no room gained. My computer is considerably slower these days. Thanks!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I free up space on my D: drive?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I free up space on my D: drive?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Re: free space
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 18, 2011 4:52 AM PDT

- My d:-drive is a DVD-drive. What is yours?
- And what's on your c:-drive?

Kees

Collapse -
Re: Clarification request: Re: free space
by Rodger-dodger / June 18, 2011 2:50 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: free space

My desktop is an HP Pavilion 1600a and the D: drive is where the fat32 files as well as the system restore points are stored. I'm assuming from what I've read in the past that programs that can be uninstalled are also here because they say you can free up space by uninstalling old obsolete or unused programs.

Collapse -
Tell us more
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 18, 2011 8:21 PM PDT

Give us the bigger picture on this please, eg;

1] Two separate hard drives, or two partitions on the same hard drive?

2] What is the size of the C drive? How much free space left?

3] What is the size of the D drive, and how much free space left?

4] What files and folders does this D drive have on it?

5] Computer's slow performance is not necessarily caused by hard drive files and folders, so can you tell us more about this slow performance and why you think cleaning out files will work for you?

Mark

Collapse -
Re: d-drive
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 18, 2011 11:29 PM PDT

Programs are where you installed them. Some insist on being installed in \program files on the same drive where Windows is installed. Others let you choose the folder during the install. So your assumption is unfounded.

And I don't know of any way to influence where Windows stores it's restore points. How come that it's the d:-drive with you?

And why should you store any file on a fat32-partition isn't clear.

Kees

Collapse -
It's The System Recovery Partition And Leave It Alone
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 20, 2011 7:32 AM PDT

HP stores their recovery partition on the D partition, on the main drive of the computer. System Restore points for the C: drive are generally NOT stored on the D: drive, but instead are stored in the System Information files on the C: drive.. You do NOT need to perform anything on that particular partition and it should not be tampered with UNLESS you want to remove everything from the partition and use it as additional free space after the removal of the recovery files.. IF your remove everything from the Recovery partition, you will not be able to use it to perform a full factory recovery.. As such, if you decide to remove files from the D: drive, BE SURE to have a good, working copy on Recovery Discs.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.