Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

how do I fix fragmented files

by 1moreprodigal / August 25, 2011 9:11 PM PDT

I have a compaq presario sr1617cl it came with xp home OS. Months ago I requested help and information from cnet forum on replacing and upgrading system. I added 4g of memory, a 500g HD, athlon 64 cpu, and also replaced the XP home version with a legal version of XP Pro. The other day I did a disk defrag on C drive and had 19 files which would not defrag. After many attempts to defrag I went to my computer local disk c properties/ tools/ error-checking and checked; (automatically fix file system error), and also checked; (scan for an attempt for recovery of bad sectors) and restarted pc. After this I ran defra again and have (4 fragments)1MB\documents and settings\all users\application and (7 fragments) 468 bytes \documents and settings\all users\application fragmented files. I then tried to restore to an earlier date and got incomplete restore, which I tried a few different dates all the same results. I then tried sfc /scannow in run with OS CD which left me with the same results 4 and 7 fragmented files. this all started after trying to download two update Belarc Advisor said I didn't have KB2538242 and KB2538243, which after many failed attempts I gave up. I received so much great help before, I will ask again for help. Thank you

1moreprodigal has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: how do I fix fragmented files
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: how do I fix fragmented files
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by 1moreprodigal

Collapse -
Re: fix fragmented file
by Kees_B Forum moderator / August 25, 2011 9:17 PM PDT

You only fix what's broken. A fragmented file isn't broken and needs no fixing at all. Nothing wrong here.

Kees

Collapse -
I did not know
by 1moreprodigal / August 26, 2011 2:58 AM PDT

Thanks I remember why I changed to pro I thought it had something to do with fragmented files because old OS was having many problems and there were fragmented files. Must have been other issues appreciate your help. Is there anything you can recommend to help me understand what fragmented files are?

Collapse -
Link only.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / August 26, 2011 3:02 AM PDT
In reply to: I did not know
Collapse -
Answer
I don't see a problem
by Steven Haninger / August 25, 2011 9:17 PM PDT

There are some files Windows can't or won't touch. Are you having an issue that you think is related to a few files that won't defrag? Otherwise, I'd leave it alone. Sometimes, the more one tries to fix something, the worse it gets.

Collapse -
Answer
Now to upset everyone.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 26, 2011 1:34 AM PDT
Collapse -
Answer
Besides Bob's response ...
by Edward ODaniel / August 26, 2011 5:23 AM PDT

there has log been a very handy file defragger available for free from Mark Russinovich at SysInternals which Microsoft bought out and still offers free for the download.

This link tells about its use and offers the downoad:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897428

By using "wildcards" it can also be used to defrag an entire directory or even partition and it works quickly.

Collapse -
It looks a little difficult to use
by 1moreprodigal / August 26, 2011 8:53 AM PDT

I did download this program in to my slave drive have not yet installed. I read the article I'm not sure I understand, I am willing to try, it is a single file defragmenter never even heard of anything like that. I hope it has good instructions many times I have tried to use downloads which are beyond my understanding. Like I don't know what "wildcards" are, I will install and if I get a feel for it I'll try, if not well thanks for the info.

Collapse -
one more thing Edward
by 1moreprodigal / August 26, 2011 10:07 PM PDT

I downloaded contig exe but as of yet have not been able to find it in cmd, I need step by step instructions. Or even finding the fragmented file from cmd it is a All User file and when I try I get only my file , more help please

Collapse -
Re: running contig.exe
by Kees_B Forum moderator / August 27, 2011 12:24 AM PDT
In reply to: one more thing Edward

Like any command line program, this is meant for people old enough to have used MS-DOS or being more or less IT-professional. You're none of the two, I assume.

Anyway, here's the recipe:
1. Copy contig.exe to c:\windows folder. It won't harm to have it there.
2. Go into cmd.
3. Type contig \*.* /s (+ enter key to end the command). Note the 2 spaces!
4. It will show ALL files on your system, and will defragment most. When ready (can take an hour) it will show a summary.

Doing this doesn't have any other use than making you feel well. For the operation and the health of the PC it doesn't make any difference at all.

Kees

Collapse -
then why bother?
by 1moreprodigal / August 27, 2011 1:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: running contig.exe

If it does not hep the operation and the health of the PC, then why bother? I am starting to understand, a little. The files that won't defragment are \All User\Applications. Could this be the reason google home page opens a little sloppy? It didn't before, it really is not a problem though. I think I like what you said before "you only fix what is broken" I thought I had read some where that fragmented files could continue to fragment other files, so I wanted to nip the bud before it produce an ugly flower, LOL. You were very helpful before with setting up my PC and again you have given me good advice, thank you so much. I do want to learn as much as I can about using and fixing my PC and am finding many places on web to learn but this forum has been A#1 in my book, thanks again.

Collapse -
Re: files
by Kees_B Forum moderator / August 27, 2011 1:14 AM PDT
In reply to: then why bother?

We have 14 posts already, and you still didn't tell what files it are. Can you provide a full list of file names, including the folder name (starting from \All Users\Application Data (or whatever the highest common folder is) and the file size?

Kees

Collapse -
the files
by 1moreprodigal / August 27, 2011 5:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: files

Okay, there are 5 fragments-file size 1MB and 7 fragments-file size 600bytes both are in \Documents and Settings\All Users\Applications. I do not know what that means or how to find these files to start with or by no means know how to copy them to a flash drive, external drive or CD even though I have all three. I need locate files and repair 101. I'm not really to knowledgeable in these matters but do want to learn. I'm not sure how to use cmd command prompt. So anymore information you can help me with will be greatly appreciated. I tried using contig.exe I typed cmd in run a black window named C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe in this box was C:\Document and Settings\IAM1> a flashing cursor_ where I typed contig\ *.* response was the system can not find patch specified. Now when I download contig, I click runas administrator IAM1. IAM1 is the administrator name, is this enough information? Really appreciate all help, thank you

Collapse -
Re: files
by Kees_B Forum moderator / August 27, 2011 6:48 PM PDT
In reply to: the files

1. You didn't read my post carefully enough where I said "Note the 2 spaces in the command". It's contig space \*.* space /s.
2. The defrag analysis report with me (at least it did in Windows XP) gives the full filename of the files that are defragged. That's how I find fragmented files.

Kees

Collapse -
Actually Kees ...
by Edward ODaniel / August 28, 2011 10:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: files

since the command prompt will open in some user's directory the proper command (based on supplied information)should be:

contig -s "c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Applications\*.*"

He could actually simply copy that command and paste it into his command prompt window to avoid typo errors.

Collapse -
still does not work
by 1moreprodigal / August 28, 2011 1:24 PM PDT
In reply to: Actually Kees ...

I know this is most likely getting old but I left click start, left click run, type cmd, left click OK a dos looking window which is titled C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe comes on sceen. In the black area it says Micxrosoft Windows XP [Version5.1.2600]
<C> Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp. below that
C:\Documents and Settings\IAM and a flashing cursor which is where I copied and pasted above
contig-s"c:\Documents and settings\All Users\Applications\*." correct? I receive 'contig' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. So what am I doing wrong?

Collapse -
If the message indicates that ...
by Edward ODaniel / August 28, 2011 11:49 PM PDT
In reply to: still does not work

CONTIG is not recognized as an internal or external command then it is most likely that you did not follow Kees advice to copy contig.exe into the WINDOWS directory (folder). the file MUST be in a path that the OS is aware of before the OS can make use of it.

You did UNZIP the contig.zip file that you downloaded didn't you? If not, then you must do so because zip files are not executable files. UNZIP contig.zip into your Windows folder or directly into the C: drive root as both will be in the path for execution.

Additionally, the command I wrote for you to use and the one you indicate you used are DIFFERENT! See if you can spot the differences:

contig -s "c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Applications\*.*" == what I offered

contig-s"c:\Documents and settings\All Users\Applications\*."
== what I copied from your post

Little things like the missing spaces and missing final asterisk are essential to successful implementation of a command.

If unfamiliar with the command prompt Windows Help and Support (available on the Start menu) can be really helpful - just type command prompt and start reading.

Collapse -
I sorry for all the bother
by 1moreprodigal / August 29, 2011 2:44 AM PDT

I did unzip another folder was made which when I right clicked on it a window came up saying open
runas I left clicked runas a open file security warning screen came up which said do you want to run file, I clicked run. Another screen came up saying run as, which account do you want to use to run this program? Current user (My-computer\IAM1) which is what used. I have done this at least 5 times and it still tell me contig' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. So what am I doing wrong? If you get tired of me being stupid I am sorry for all the headaches. I just can not seem to get this to work

Collapse -
If unfamiliar with the command prompt
by 1moreprodigal / August 29, 2011 2:55 AM PDT

When I typed command prompt in run I get another dos looking screen which just has on top in blue is the same as cmd but in black says specified command search directory bad and under it Microsoft <R>Windows DOS <C> Microsoft Corp 1990-2001 below that C>cursor nothing else.

Collapse -
Answer
fragged untouchables
by tedtks / August 26, 2011 5:17 PM PDT

Run your defragger on a different partition so its all in order - no spaces.
Copy the file you want to defrag to this partition. this will line it all up for you.
then after testing the new copy - delete the old and defrag that drive/patition and
copy it back (if you want it there) and you should be okay from now on.

Collapse -
call me "one without knowledge"
by 1moreprodigal / August 26, 2011 10:00 PM PDT
In reply to: fragged untouchables

First of all "a different partition?" HOW, do I make one? I have just learned I can use to cmd in run on xp to find internal and external ... but still can't find thing there, but I know if I do it once I'll remember. Edward recommended useing contig.exe and I downloaded it but as of yet can't find it in cmd maybe I put it in the wrong place when I downloaded. Can you can steer me to places I can find the info I need to make another partition and what it entails. WOW I have not felt unlearned like this in a long time, yet I do believe, "you can teach old dogs new tricks" as long as one takes the time, which funny there does not seem to be as much of anymore, LOL. Any help you can provide will be appreciated.

Collapse -
Re: copy
by Kees_B Forum moderator / August 27, 2011 12:18 AM PDT

Copying a file to another partition (or an external drive, or a USB-stick), defragging it there and copying back doens't guarantee at all that the file (once copied back to the original drive) still will be defragmented. And depending on what file it is, and why it couldn't be defragmented, it's quite well possible the operation can't be executed at all.

Kees

Collapse -
rere-copy
by tedtks / August 27, 2011 1:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: copy

by copying the file to another part. or an external that is already clean. the copy does
the defraging for you. you could even burn it to a cd and copy back.
I am curious as to what 19 files, and why they wont defrag. Plus the number of files.
Is it possible that the new drive has some issues and the spaces are track errors
I have some file that would not defrag but it said it was a system file and could not be
defraged and since it was the only one I just let it go. the parts were close enough
together I figured it would not waste more than a couple nano secs to jump the distance.
If these are system files - my best guess is they are MS updates. and just ignore it.
It would be more like MS to mess with stuff like that and just put in a jump command instead
of inline run LOL.

Collapse -
the files
by 1moreprodigal / August 27, 2011 5:31 AM PDT
In reply to: rere-copy

Okay, there are 5 fragments-file size 1MB and 7 fragments-file size 600bytes both are in \Documents and Settings\All Users\Applications. I do not know what that means or how to find these files to start with or by no means know how to copy them to a flash drive, external drive or CD even though I have all three. I need locate files and repair 101. I'm not really to knowledgeable in these matters but do want to learn. I'm not sure how to use cmd command prompt. So anymore information you can help me with will be greatly appreciated. I tried using contig.exe I typed cmd in run a black window named C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe in this box was C:\Document and Settings\IAM1> a flashing cursor_ where I typed contig\ *.* response was the system can not find patch specified. Now when I download contig, I click runas administrator IAM1. IAM1 is the administrator name, is this enough information? Really appreciate all help, thank you

Collapse -
the files
by tedtks / August 27, 2011 9:19 AM PDT
okay - here is some 101.
1. find a program called Microsoft Explorer. right click and make a desktop Icon.
2. run the MS explorer - you will see a box on the left side of the window.
this is a list of alll you drives - and more.
3. right below the 3 1/2 Floppy folder is one that says C:
since you havent done any partitioning then thats it.
4. If it hasnt already expanded the C; then just left click it.
5. this will give you the list of all the folders on drive c:
and - near the top is one called Documents and settings.
6. left click this folder - in the right hand pane of the ms ex. will show a list
of all the folders and files that are in this folder.
7. Locate the folder All Users. left click for new list
8 locate applications and left click.
within this folder will be the files that will match the name(s) listed before (line 2 of your
last question. which should have showed up xxxx\xxx\aplications\ ??????. exe (or
.com or whatever)
9. MS Explorer will let you look (at least in xp and before LOL) at Everything on your hard
drive - - - Except (you knew this was coming LOL) some of the systems files. plus a few
folders that are Hidden - which you can change this via clicking a box via another
program.
10. when you put the cursor on ANY file or folder and right click you will get a dropdn menu
of - what do you want to now knuckle head :-0 - so select what ever.
Other than the obvious things - the rest will not hurt anything. The properties selection
will give you more info about the drive , folder , file.
this should be giving you an ah-haaa moment - I hope LOL either that or cowabunga -
depending on what age you have risen from LOL
any more ? let us know or if others think this is not the forum to do this in I could give you
my email and we could go from there - even tho there are better (smarter) people on here
than me - have fun and dont sweat the small stuff. It will all come out in the wash.
ted

Collapse -
duh
by tedtks / August 27, 2011 9:32 AM PDT

some teach I b.
click the start button - lower left of screen.
click the search button
click all files and folders
in the search for : Windows explorer
when it finds it - right click and select:: create shortcut -then close search
now double click on the new icon and it will run.

Collapse -
Answer
also...
by porsche10x / August 27, 2011 5:13 AM PDT

Since no one asked, just how full is your hard drive? If it's nearly full, you may not be able to defrag large files.

Collapse -
its not
by 1moreprodigal / August 27, 2011 5:36 AM PDT
In reply to: also...

89% free just got everything set up and running even my slave drive is 90% free

Collapse -
Answer
Just for yuks
by bob b / August 28, 2011 6:27 AM PDT

Run a pass of defrag in safe mode.
Waste a little time.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.