PC Hardware

General discussion

How do I find out what motherboard I have?

by aharton / May 9, 2005 10:33 PM PDT

I want to make sure I have current motherboard drivers.
Is there somewhere in the control panel where the make/model info is listed or do I need to physically inspect the board?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I find out what motherboard I have?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I find out what motherboard I have?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Best thing to do
by AussiePete / May 9, 2005 10:58 PM PDT

When you boot you will see a string of numbers at the bottom left of your screen - best the push the PAUSE button when they appear because they are gone in a flash - to resume boot just press any key - write these numbers down because they are your mother board and bios numbers - preceding these numbers there should be (from memory) something like "VIA" or "ASUS" which is the manufacturer of your motherboard.
If for example it was "via" then goto www.via.com - if this fails type the numbers into http://www.google.com and you should get a few links.
But the starting place is to goto the OEM supplier of your computer because although you may have (for example a Via CPU and chipset the bios may have been changed to suite the OEM supplier - follow!
If not let me know
Peter

Collapse -
Better still..
by AussiePete / May 9, 2005 11:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Best thing to do
Collapse -
by jconner / May 9, 2005 11:18 PM PDT

Do a google search on ada32 and download it. It provides a great summary of all your hardware and chips as well as direct links to the manufacturers for driver downloads etc. Very valuable and free tool. I use it all the time.

John

Collapse -
John, I cant find it
by AussiePete / May 9, 2005 11:35 PM PDT

tried "ada32" in google and seems a lot about AOL but no program - wouldn't mind having a try of the program so can you point me in the right direction?
Thanks,
Peter

Collapse -
Peter, try this/these
by jonah jones / May 10, 2005 3:28 AM PDT
In reply to: John, I cant find it
Collapse -
(NT) Thanks Jonah - will give it a test drive
by AussiePete / May 10, 2005 3:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Peter, try this/these
Collapse -
by jconner / May 10, 2005 12:38 AM PDT

Bob has it right, I misspelled it. Sorry.

Collapse -
Ada32
by YogiBJ / May 13, 2005 2:02 AM PDT

Actually John, it used to be Aida32 but it is now finished, the guy who wrote the programme moved on to Lavalys, and took Aida with him. Its now called Everest and is a bit better. It is still free and can be downloaded from the Lavalys site. An alternative is BelArc, available on a lot of magazine C.D's or download (search Google for the site) though I don't personally like it as, in the past, it told lies. Identied parts as being different from what I knew them to be. I'm told its much better now.
Good luck, one of them should give you all the info needed, and a lot more besides.

Collapse -
Links to BELARC ADVISOR and AIDA32
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 10, 2005 12:19 AM PDT
Collapse -
Belarc link... redux.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 10, 2005 12:20 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) Thanks Bob, have Belarc but will look at aida32
by AussiePete / May 10, 2005 1:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Belarc link... redux.
Collapse -
(NT) Thanks to everyone, you've given me plenty to work with !!!
by aharton / May 10, 2005 4:07 AM PDT
Collapse -
Belarc and AIDA32
by aharton / May 11, 2005 11:06 PM PDT

I ran Belarc and see that the main board is Intel D815EEA AAA10383-402 and the Bios is also Intel A05. Does that tell me what my 'chip set' is?

Also - I do not know how to run the AIDA32.
It downloaded as a zip file, do I need to put the files into a different folder as I extract them?
When I double click the only .exe I see in the folder I askes me to extract them, which I did but then I do not get any further than that - not much experience with .zips!

Thanks for all the help!!!

Collapse -
That's an i815 based board.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 11, 2005 11:34 PM PDT
In reply to: Belarc and AIDA32

Very common in HP and other make machines.

If you do own such a make, then just supply the model number and members may help you find the drivers. If it's some homebrew no-name system, then you'll want the make/model of the motherboard.

Bob

Collapse -
What motherboard PLUS !!
by frantech / May 12, 2005 11:33 PM PDT

Aida32pe is a GREAT utility for telling you just about everything about your computer. Use Google to find a download site and give it a try.

Collapse -
Which MotherBoard do I have ?
by William T. / May 13, 2005 12:39 AM PDT

Go to www.belarc.com and download this program and it creates a profile of your computer. It tells you everything you need to know about your computer.

Collapse -
Try this...
by KAVN / May 13, 2005 3:53 AM PDT

Hi,

I'm no technician at all, so I use this simple freeware from Snapfiles:

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/everest.html

whenever I want to find out something about my system. Eg, I printed out the report telling which RAM's and what motherboard I use, before I went to the store to buy some bigger ones, in order to secure compatibility.

Greeting from
KAVN

Collapse -
what motherboard do I have
by grysmoke / May 13, 2005 6:36 AM PDT

Hey,
I use a freeware utility called SiSoft Sandra 2005 Lite(lite meaning not all the features).It's a strange name but a great utility.Sandra is an acronym.It'a very easy to use program.It has almost 60 different information nodes(some being disabled)that tells you what CPU you're using to a burnin wizard.At launch it'll scan your system and report it back through the individual nodes or just an overall report.There's a performance node that will anylize your system then make suggestions for improvement.I have been using this for a couple of years on my system and my customers.I can tell you everything that's in there and all the serial & version numbers with out opening the case.You really should try it.

Grysmoke

Collapse -
What Motherboard do I have ?
by evargasr38 / May 13, 2005 10:13 AM PDT

It is usually printed on the motherboard itself, including the revision as well as the manufacturer. You probably do not have the motherboard manual. Once you have opened your computer and found out the manufacturer and the model of the motherboard you may search (perhaps with google) the internet for the manufacturer and your motherboard model, then you will find lots of things about it.

Collapse -
by Scanjo / May 13, 2005 10:40 AM PDT

I have worked on quite a few systems that do NOT have any identifying info on the motherboard. Normally it's off the shelf units. For some reason they don't want you to know what's in there. You can usually get drivers direct from the manufacturer using model numbers or serial numbers, but sometimes you can't find exactly the info you want on their site.

A couple weeks ago I was working on an HP and needed to know how to hook up the switches and LEDs from the front of the case. HP site was no help as it was a very old unit. By using Everest I was able to determine it was a PC Chips motherboard and which model it was. Fairly simple to then go to the PC Chips site and get what I needed.

Everest is my program of choice for such times. Sandra works well for benchmarking, and burn in to ensure the system is stable. I'd have lots of trouble without either of them. I don't find them interchangeable.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) How do I find out what motherboard I have in my coputer?
by ki11a-k / May 29, 2006 12:55 AM PDT
Collapse -
CPU-Z
by linkit / May 29, 2006 4:14 AM PDT

Many free utilities will display the motherboard manufacturer name and model number. I like CPU-Z because it is well organized.

http://www.cpuid.org/cpuz.php

After you download, install, and run the utility, look at the "Mainboard" tab.

Collapse -
by prash6986 / July 1, 2009 6:34 PM PDT
In reply to: CPU-Z

hi i used belarc advisor here is what was displayed

Processor
2.67 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
16 kilobyte primary memory cache
1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Not hyper-threaded

Main Circuit Board
Board: Springdale
Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 09/01/2006

Controllers
Standard floppy disk controller
Intel(R) 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers
Primary IDE Channel [Controller]
Secondary IDE Channel [Controller]

Bus Adapters
Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D2
Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D4
Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D7
Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24DE
Intel(R) 82801EB USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 24DD

can anyone tell me which one is my motherboard?

Collapse -
Re: motherboard.
by Kees Bakker / July 1, 2009 6:52 PM PDT

This says you've got a springdale motherboard. http://www.google.com/search?q=springdale+motherboard shows many manufacturers.

So the next steps could be things like:
1. Check the manuals that came with the PC.
2. Check the bill that came with the PC (if a custom made one).
3. Open the case and look for clues.
4. Run the CPU-Z program recommended in the post above yours.

Kees

Collapse -
motherboard
by prash6986 / July 1, 2009 9:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: motherboard.

@ Kees Bakker

Well it happened so that a week ago my PC broke down and my PC dealer said that my motherboard needed to be replaced.

He has replaced it but i dont know which motherboard he has used.

Although in the bill he has mentioned that he used an Intel motherboard but i doubt it bcoz when my pc was delivered i wasn't given an Intel Driver CD. It was some other driver CD in chinese not a geniune Intel driver CD.

To top it my PC has also slowed down as compared to my previous one.

The previous one i used was an Intel D101GGC Desktop Board. I also received an Intel manual and also the original driver CD that comes with Intel motherboards.

Now i dont know which board has he used and i want to nail that dealer.

pls help me out guys!!

Collapse -
A tragic story.
by Kees Bakker / July 1, 2009 11:06 PM PDT
In reply to: motherboard

Better find another dealer next time.

But I think it's only fraudulent if he billed you for the price of an original Intel board and gave you an imitation. Get it out and have a look.

Kees

Collapse -
motherboard
by prash6986 / July 2, 2009 1:04 AM PDT
In reply to: A tragic story.

@ Kees Bakker

Using the softwares mentioned earlier in this forum I have found that the dealer used an Intel i865P/PE/G/i848P board.

I then downloaded Intel's Board ID Tool.

on running the Board ID Tool I got the following message 'No Intel(R) desktop board was detected in this system'.

Does this message mean that the board used in my PC not actually an Intel board?

Collapse -
(NT) Time to contact your PC dealer.
by Kees Bakker / July 2, 2009 1:07 AM PDT
In reply to: motherboard
Collapse -
Find Motherboard Information thru Script/Commandline
by makaderbd / September 5, 2011 8:04 AM PDT

Finding motherboard information is essential for many reason. However it is possible to know the motherboard serial, model, manufacturer, etc using simple batch script. Know details from the post.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.