Windows 7 forum

General discussion

How do I find new changes on my computer?

by wildbird / September 17, 2011 8:31 PM PDT

Is it possible to find any changes to the computer? For example, added new files or programs that known or unknown. One of the users (friends or family members) or by any possible means it will be added or installed the programs to the computer when the computer has been used to connect Internet (intentional or unintentional) so how can I find it?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I find new changes on my computer?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I find new changes on my computer?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: changes
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 17, 2011 8:48 PM PDT

Use your favorite file manager to find files and folders created or modified since a certain time. You'll be amazed how many it are, so it isn't a really good tool, but it's the best there is.

Maybe better give your friends only access to the guest account in your PC? Then they can't install anything.

Collapse -
Various options
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 17, 2011 8:51 PM PDT

But you may have to use them all. Windows doesn't present us with any easy to use "log of changes".

1] The Start menu.

This may or may not work, depending which User Account is used to install programs. All new programs should be highlighted here, (or in All programs), unless the user specifically selected to not add shortcuts to the Start Menu during the installation process.

2] Using Windows Explorer.

You can get this from the Start Menu > All programs > Accessories although the "Computer" icon on the desktop or in the Start Menu will work just as well.

Use the Search box top right hand corner. Click that and a small filter menu will display where you can select "Date Modified" and then select a date or period. For example if I chose "Yesterday", all files added to the drive since yesterday would be listed.

3] The Event Viewer.

This 'may' show installed applications.

4] Any obvious changes? Only you can tell that.

But I agree with Kees. Especially for "Friends", I would just let them use the Guest account. Any others can have Limited User accounts.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.