Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

How do I download vhs videotapes from my VCR to my PC ?

by creative77 / December 6, 2005 1:03 AM PST

Hi - I am TOTALLY CONFUSED about the best way to go on this... I have gotten SO MANY different things told to me by technical people, sales people, IT people. It's a simple question:

How do I download my Standard VHS videotapes from my VCR to my Dell XPS 400 computer for editing purposes? (please don't mention Anything about camcorders - I'm only using my regular VCR for this)

Do I use a Video Converter, a Video Capture Device, a Video Capture Card or Media Converter?

Which is the BEST method to use? And which is the BEST Brand/Model converter/device/card to buy? The one thing I am REALLY concerned about is preserveing 100% picture quality in the analog-to-digital conversion - retaining as much clarity, sharpness and color of the original VHS videotapes as possible.

P.S. I'm not looking for an editing sofware to go with this either - I already have a terrific semi-pro editing program on my computer.

I would be so thankful for anyone's knowledgeable, expert advice.

Sincerely,

Larry Brooks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I download vhs videotapes from my VCR to my PC ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I download vhs videotapes from my VCR to my PC ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That's the problem.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 6, 2005 1:24 AM PST

You asked for the BEST solution. I can't tell you that but will share I use an under 49 buck ATI or Hauppaugge PCI TV and capture card. The supplied software lets me capture and then I'm off to other software to edit, create the DVD.

Best of luck in your search for the BEST.

Bob

Collapse -
Did it work??
by techgu05 / December 8, 2005 3:12 AM PST

Larry, will you let me know if you were able to get VHS on your PC and what you did? Thanks.

Collapse -
Downloading VHS video to PC
by creative77 / January 9, 2006 6:04 AM PST
In reply to: Did it work??

Hi,

In answer to your message, I've decided to do this by a rather expensive route - instead of using a video capture card or video capture device, after doing MUCH reseach on the net, I'm going to buy a special video converter called the Canopus ADVC-300. Not only does it convert vhs to digial, but it also enhances/cleans up the image; removes noise and stabilizes the image. The cost is goes from $450 - $550, depending on where you buy it from (search the net). This is the highest end "Pro-consumer" converter one can buy, and also the absolute best. I'm going with it because I require a very sharp image in my PC, because I want to add some CGI to the footage I have. Plus, I will be manipulating the footage also, probably with an effects software like Commotion.

Hope this helps. If not, I recommend going to a site called AfterDawn.com and reading the many messages in their Video Capture Forum. Lord, they have Tons of real experts chiming in, constantly.

Larry

Collapse -
How do I download vhs videotapes from my VCR to my
by jcrobso / December 13, 2005 2:11 AM PST
Collapse -
Getting VHS tapes to PC
by Frankdal25 / January 8, 2006 6:06 AM PST

Hi, I have used ADS DVD Xpress and also Pinnacle Studio MovieBox 9 USB 2.0 to transfer VHS tapes to my computer.There is a small box that is hooked up to your VHS tape recorder and then run a USB cable to your computer from the box. The box is a device to change analog video to digital video.Open the program, insert the VHS tape into your VCR, and play the tape. The tape gets copied onto your hard drive. When burning the video from your hard drive to a DVD make certain you have 2 hours or less video to copy because the DVD disk will only hold 2 hours of video. If your VHS tapes hold 2 hours or less of video, the ADS DVD Xpress can put the video directly onto a DVD.Hope this helps.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.