Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Phones

Question

How do I download photos from my Motorola Razr V3 to my PC?

by baydaver / May 27, 2011 2:26 AM PDT

First of all ,I apologize if this a worn out question for everyone. Id appreciate any help. My sister has the last remaining pics of our father on her Razr just prior to his death in 2008. She no longer has phone service to this phone nor does it have a memory card. I went to RadioShack and was told that using this
"Gigaware"~ 'USB-A Male to Mini USB-B Male retractable Cable'
I wouldn't need to install a driver or program to download the photos. My PC recognized the Motorola but that's all it does. I have tried searching online for a program/driver to use but am hitting dead ends. Its all so ambiguous to me. Can anyone here explainwhat i NEED to do in simple terms (as if i was 10 years old-lol) Thanks all.!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I download photos from my Motorola Razr V3 to my PC?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I download photos from my Motorola Razr V3 to my PC?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
suggestion
by birdmantd Forum moderator / May 27, 2011 3:35 AM PDT

Go to the Motorola internet site, do a search for Motorola Media Link for Windows and download it from the Motorola site to the computer. It is free software and should do exactly what you want to do. No need to worry about having active cellular phone service to use this program. Connect the phone to the computer via the cable after installation. Good luck.

Collapse -
THANKS Birdman'
by baydaver / May 27, 2011 3:43 AM PDT
In reply to: suggestion

I have to run some errands,,when i get back I will try it ASAP!!!!!. Will keep you informed forthwith

Collapse -
You could also try BitPIM
by Pepe7 / May 27, 2011 5:03 AM PDT
In reply to: THANKS Birdman'
Collapse -
Im trying
by baydaver / May 27, 2011 10:10 AM PDT

I was able to download 'MotoHelper' and 'BitPim' but im still at a dead end. Im not very tech savvy in re to the requirements.

Collapse -
Try Media Link for Windows instead
by birdmantd Forum moderator / May 27, 2011 11:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Im trying

The item you downloaded is the wrong one, try the application above instead.

Collapse -
Will Motorola Link work with all of the RAZR models?
by Pepe7 / May 27, 2011 4:04 PM PDT

I thought I read somewhere on the Moto support site that it would only work with some of them. Software interface looks nice though, esp. compared to BitPim....

Collapse -
Pepe..
by baydaver / May 28, 2011 2:37 AM PDT

i have tried BitPim as well but have got no where with it. Any advice?

Collapse -
Went to Motorola Media Link
by baydaver / May 28, 2011 1:55 AM PDT

Ok Birdman' It appears i was at the wrong page at the Motorola website. I did download the specific "Media Link for Windows" program that you advised. Ive tried 2x now to use it. When i open MML
A window opens stating-"Please connect to a Motorola device, Having trouble connecting? Be sure to Pattern or PIN unlock your device. view a list of supported devices. "
I plug in the Razr and i get a secondary window- "
Welcome to the Found New Hardware This wizard helps you to install software for: Motorola Communication Interface If your hardware came with an installation CD or floppy , insert now
options= Install software automatically (recommended) or Install from a list or specific location (advanced)
Then the wizard searches for a prolonged period of time. A window pops up 'found hardware' and then ..thats it. nothing.. I open up MML again and i get the window_"Please connect to a Motorola device, Having trouble connecting? Be sure to Pattern or PIN unlock your device. view a list of supported devices. "again..i checked the listing of supported devices and Razr is not in the list. Where am i going wrong now?

Collapse -
I guess not
by birdmantd Forum moderator / May 28, 2011 4:12 AM PDT

I suppose the Razr V3 may not be compatible. I thought it would be. I use a Motorola Droid X and it works with my phone, but the V3 is not listed as a supported phone. As Pepe suggested, Bitpim might work instead. I wish you best of luck. Sorry that my suggestion didn't pan out for you though.

Collapse -
hey Bird'
by baydaver / May 28, 2011 3:17 PM PDT
In reply to: I guess not

Its quite alright,,i thank you for the advice regardless. No wonder there are so many sites dedicated to 'HACKING' into Razr cell phones. Pepe,,do you think the BitPim will be able to do just that?

Collapse -
Read through the BitPIM support pages
by Pepe7 / May 29, 2011 1:21 PM PDT
In reply to: hey Bird'

I guarantee you there's a way to connect to your V3.

Collapse -
maybe i should join a forum at Motorola's site
by baydaver / June 6, 2011 12:21 AM PDT

what do you all think? CNET is the greatest of course but apparently this is a bit in depth product wise.

Collapse -
Motorola Phone Tools
by AEC2010 / June 6, 2011 4:33 AM PDT

I am trying to do the same thing with a RAZR v3m - there is a software you can purchase called Motorola Phone Tools and the v3m is listed as compatible. I haven't tried it yet though - hoping to find a free way to do this, but your pictures sound like they're worth paying for the software.

Collapse -
Yes, MPT can work too
by Pepe7 / June 6, 2011 6:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Motorola Phone Tools

The drawback is $$, I suppose.

You might see if anyone's selling it used.

Collapse -
your right AC Thanks
by baydaver / June 19, 2011 1:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Motorola Phone Tools

I will spend whatever i need to to get these pics

Collapse -
How do I download photos
by dotsgirl / August 23, 2013 12:12 AM PDT
In reply to: suggestion

The software at the site you gave is not free or has been discontinued and a new program/software is not free. Just finished chat with Motorola. Cost is $10.99 at Amazon.com and this AM there are 12 available.

Collapse -
A lot may have changed.....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / August 23, 2013 3:23 AM PDT

....in the approximate 2 years from when I previously commented on this thread. You could try HowardForums.com or XDADevelopers.com for more advice. I don't have any new suggestions to offer. Best wishes.

Collapse -
Answer
Me Too! Problems Abroad

We have recently switched to Motorola Droid X from a Razr. I believe we have the Razr V3 also. I'm a little computer savvy when it comes to making gadgets work. I have tried the Motorola Phone Tools, It says the razr is not campatible. I have tried the Motorola Media Link and that looks like it will only work with my Droid. I tried the Bitpim, to no avail either. My first problem was finding a driver, but both motorola programs include drivers. I did install a driver, but it allows my phone to be used as a modem for my computer.
My computer does not have bluetooth capability, but that's the other option I'd consider. I'd even consider adding my phone back to service but we now have Verizon, and it was an alltel phone originally, and we can't have the alltel and verizon phones on the same plan.
If I find something that works, I'll be sure to share. Just wanted to share my troubles with the programs before wasting your money on something.

Collapse -
Thanks PhotoGadgets
by baydaver / June 19, 2011 1:43 AM PDT

I appreciate the response. We have experienced the same problems then. I will purchase the bluetooth plugin for my PC to see if that does the trick. To all, I did everything suggested here as well as at the Motorola forum site with no luck. I was so ignorant to the bluetooth features and capabilities. I did try to connect the old ATTRazr phone to my current phone(bluetooth capable) The two phones (my new MSG phone and sisters ATT Razr) recognized each other but I could not do any transfering . My MSG phone says 'ONLY OBJECT PUSH PROFILE SUPPORT'in re to the ATT Razr --im not sure i know what that means. Anyone here know?

Collapse -
Answer
I DID IT !
by baydaver / June 26, 2011 2:57 PM PDT

It took me awhile but i actually got the photos on my PC now. What i DID was to get to understand the BLUETOOTH system and how to use it . I was able to exchange the photos from both Razr phones to my crappy MSG phone. From there i sent them all to my email. Im so happy to have accomplished this. The last pix of my dad are very important to me and my family. Thank you to all that posted advice...

Collapse -
Answer
Found another solution after reading all the posts here...
by sowester / January 11, 2014 7:02 AM PST

after exploring all of the options in the posts listed here, I discovered a slick way to copy photos from my old razor phone. Using my new phone (which is android), I went to the Google play store and found an app called "Bluetooth File Transfer", by Medieval Software.

Here are the steps that worked for me:
1 download the app on your new phone
2 install and open the app
3 once it is open, scan for blue tooth devices (making sure the bluetooth receiver is turned on on your old razor phone)
4 once it is discovered, then the browser will show a window, (split right and left) - left side is your file structure in your current phone, and the right side is the file structure in your old Razr
5 select the files you wish to move from the old phone by selecting them each with a checkmark, then push and hold any of the selected files, and a context menu will pop up, allowing you to copy, move, etc, etc.

this worked like a charm for me. the old photos are now on the new phone, and I can now sync them to my pc.

hope this helps anyone looking to do this task...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.