Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

How do I determine which programs are running?

by mike62 / January 11, 2005 2:38 AM PST

I know there are lots of programs that run in the background that consume your resources when you are up and running. What is it you can hit/type that will tell you all of the programs that are running in the background when you have your computer on? I am sure there are some that I could disable which would speed my computer up. Thank you.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I determine which programs are running?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I determine which programs are running?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Go the the start menu,
by crazeebob2000 / January 11, 2005 3:33 AM PST

then click-run, type msconfig, then click ok, click on the services tab, it shows whats running, but be careful what you delete. thats the only way I know of, hope it helps ya.

Collapse -
www.blackviper
by crazeebob2000 / January 11, 2005 3:46 AM PST
In reply to: Go the the start menu,

also has a lot of information about windows problems and tweaks.

Collapse -
Re:
by mike62 / January 11, 2005 3:52 AM PST
In reply to: Go the the start menu,

Thanks that is the info I needed.

Collapse -
Re: Which programs are running.
by John Robie / January 11, 2005 5:53 AM PST
Collapse -
Bob & Mike, That's Not All
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 11, 2005 9:03 AM PST

Bob described the procedure of clicking on Start-Run, type "msconfig", then click on the "Services" tab...That's a good approach but it only shows the "Services" that are running...It doesn't show the normal "Processes" that are also running. Processes are the start up programs that are also running in the background. To check those, simply click on the "Start Up" tab that resides in "msconfig"..

If you want to find out which programs/processes are unnecessary in that "Start Up" tab, click on the link below and check for the program name listed there:

http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

Now you have a couple of places to look.

Hope this helps, too.

Grif

Collapse -
Learning something new every day
by crazeebob2000 / January 11, 2005 10:35 AM PST

I'm getting an education here, thanks again Grif!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.