Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

How do I determine the path and name of a file?

by grandpaw7 / September 15, 2004 9:19 AM PDT

For example, my Yankee Clipper program.

It is in my Startup Menu and msconfig shows this:
/c:\PROGRA~1\YCIII\YankClip.exe. Is the path the foregoing up to YankClip.exe, with YankClip.exe being the file name?

If I try to figure out the path by going to Explorer the C drive, I see: "C:\Documents and Settings\grandpaw\Start Menu\Programs\Startup and when I open the Startup folder I see YankClip shortcut. Could that string up to YankClip also be the path?

What is the best way to see the path and file name of a file displayed on the monitor?

Thanks, grandpaw

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I determine the path and name of a file?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I determine the path and name of a file?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Thread withdrawn
by grandpaw7 / September 15, 2004 9:42 AM PDT

I have so *$%# many other problems that I'm not interested in this one after all. If someone wants to explain something about the question of newbies in general, be my guest. grandpaw

Collapse -
Re: so *$%# many other problems
by ChuckT / September 15, 2004 6:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Thread withdrawn

Gramps, why do I detect increasing frustration in your questions?

From what I have read in your other postings is that you seemed comfortable with Win98, and now you have WinXP and you seem totally frustrated.

Why is that? I wouldn't say there is THAT much different from the user point-of-view.
Sure some things are different, but so what? that is what is going to keep you young - you have to keep flexing the gray matter.

I find most of the things, that have changed, are just a re-thinking and a now more logical placement of the controls as the OS gets refined.

Just set your expectations a little lower, work one problem at a time, and keep your spirits up.

Collapse -
Gramp seems to have a machine with a worm.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 15, 2004 11:26 PM PDT

The worm or the damage it did prevents him from doing many things. Firefox for instance doesn't work. And many more issues.

It's sad that the machine was supplied without protection.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Gramp seems to have a machine with a worm.
by ChuckT / September 16, 2004 4:08 AM PDT

If that is true, Gramps, then maybe it is just time to trash it all.
If you have restore disks, use them.
If not, then reformat and install Windows again.

Then setup some good virus protection (and anti-spyware and anti-popup) software.
Install all the critical MS patches;
Install your applications, etc.

Why fight so many problems? You should be able to do it all in just a few hours.
The days wasted in killing bugs, would be better spent <fill in your favorite activity here>.

Collapse -
My sentiments exactly, albeit belatedly
by grandpaw7 / September 16, 2004 6:15 AM PDT

Chuck, this morning I had the deep pleasure of getting out of jail, that is, I took my computer to exorcists to have it born again through a reformatting. I now weigh about 500 pounds less than when I left. I just hope the weight doesn't come back when my computer does. I'm not sure, but I think my family and others are planning a Return To Life celebration for me.

Someone a while back, maybe it was you, advised that I should not let my computer sidetrack my life and should turn it over to the experts; but I not only hear poorly, but also very slowly.

Thanks for the words of wisdom.

grandpaw

Collapse -
Re: How do I determine the path and name of a file?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 15, 2004 10:29 AM PDT

The "path" to a file is the drive\folder\file progression as it would be taken in Windows Explorer. Using your example, if you open Windows Explorer ("My Computer" is basically the same), then drill down to your file from the C drive to the "Program Files" folder to the "YCIII" folder to the "YankClip.exe" FILE, the path will be listed in the "Address Bar" of Windows Explorer (if you have that particular view set) and the path will be "C:\Program Files\YCIII\YankClip.exe".

The Start Menu path you have mentioned is the true file path which creates the "Start-Programs" menu. They're both "paths", just to slightly different things.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
An easy way to capture the full path to a file
by ChuckT / September 15, 2004 6:37 PM PDT

If you ever need to capture (so you can copy/paste) the path somewhere, two things you need:
1) open up a Windows Explorer, so that you can select the file.
2) open up the Run window (press Win R) and clear it out (just press the Delete key)

Then just click and drag the desired file into the Open field of the Run window.
The complete path name to that file will appear in the window. Then you can cut/copy/paste to wherever.

(Don't worry, your actual file never gets moved or harmed in any way.)

What is interesting is that if the path has any spaces, in either the path or the filename, the entire thing will then be automatically, and correctly, enclosed in quote characters (").

Collapse -
A belated thanks to Grif and Chuck
by grandpaw7 / May 10, 2005 6:33 AM PDT

for the info on how to determine the path to a file. I have finally copied the info to a memo because I have spent too much time looking for your posts once again when I needed the info and forgot what it was. grandpaw

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.