Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

How do I delete my operating system?

by ajs1266 / June 14, 2005 10:40 AM PDT

I have a pirated version of XP Professional on a Dell Inspiron 5000 with an Intel Pentium III w/597 mHz and 320 mb of ram. I have been getting an lsass.exe system shutdown message regularly and just want to clean house and start over with a licensed operating system. How do I clean everything off of my computer after I've saved everything that's important. Please help. Thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I delete my operating system?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I delete my operating system?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just reformat
by John.Wilkinson / June 14, 2005 10:51 AM PDT

Since you aren't giving the computer away, you don't have to go through a long procedure of erasing all your data. Just pop in the legit Windows XP disk, and install it. The installation software will walk you through it...just make sure you select reformat when prompted.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
OS Install
by retired / June 14, 2005 11:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Just reformat

New/Clean Install/Re-Install

1=Set Bios to boot from CD/ROM as first boot device
2=Place the OS/CD in the CD/ROM drive and Re-Boot
3=Watch for the prompt to "press any key to boot from CD/ROM" Press ASAP(Ignore when prompt appears on any reboot)
(You will only get this prompt if there is an XP/OS installed on the HDD)
4=windows Setup (Loads Files)
5=To setup XP now press "enter"
6=Press F8 for license
7=To continue installing a fresh copy of windows without repairing press "ESC"
8=For a new or unpartitioned drive press"C"
9=For a drive that has partitions, operating system or any data on it, you should press "D" to delete the partition and start out with a clean drive.
10=Press "enter"
11=You will be prompted again, press "L"(You will do this for each partition) , Now you are ready to partition and format
12=Press "C"
13=To create a new partition, enter a size below and press "Enter" (Note=You can create more than one partition here or press "Enter" to utilize the entire drive
14=To setup windows on the selected partition press "enter"
15=Select format NTFS with quick option, (Should be the top selection)
16=Press "enter'
17=Wait for format to complete
18=Computer will start copying files to the installation folders (this may take several minutes)
19=Computer will re-boot, do not press any key to boot from CD/ROM when prompted.
20=follow the on-screen instructions to complete loading windows.

Collapse -
OS install
by ajs1266 / June 14, 2005 5:25 PM PDT
In reply to: OS Install

Thanks for the information.

Collapse -
to Frank
by 3151jeff / June 15, 2005 4:53 AM PDT

Hi , I am very new(newbie) at computers and retired as well. My question of you is off topic, quite often I see people refer to bios settings and to read or change them. How does one get into the bios screen?
I'm having an unrelated problem with ram and was told to change some bios settings, but I don't know how to get to the bios section??

Collapse -
in my message to frank
by 3151jeff / June 15, 2005 5:54 AM PDT
In reply to: to Frank

my message to frank , I received a message from a member but know of no way to contact him. The message from cnet says to not repley to their email and gives me the members user name and said to come back to the forum to find this member and reply to their profile app. I can not find this person..

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Did you type his user name in the search bar??
by Ray Harinec / June 15, 2005 5:58 AM PDT
In reply to: in my message to frank
Collapse -
OK thanks ...BUT
by 3151jeff / June 15, 2005 6:35 AM PDT

it worked I found the person but no way to leave a message

Collapse -
Yes if he didn't enable emailing
by Ray Harinec / June 15, 2005 6:45 AM PDT
In reply to: OK thanks ...BUT

in his profile.

What you can do, using search, is in one of his most recent posts, Just advise him/her about enabling email in his/her profile.

In the same message you can make your comment. Then that thread will pop up to the top of the first page of that forum, and it might be read by the person.

Many people simply don't take time to update their profile, may be afraid that someone will get their email address [which they won't] and don't know that they can limit the numbers of emails that they will accept in a month.

Collapse -
Computer Bios
by retired / June 15, 2005 7:39 AM PDT

Hi Jeff, Been away from the computer all day so I just now saw your post.

You can enter the BIOS setup usually with one of the following keys or key combos while the computer is starting to boot:
DELETE
F1
F2
F10
CTRL+ALT+ESC
CTRL+ALT+ENTER
CTRL+ALT+S
CTRL+ALT+INSERT
CTRL+A
CTRL+F1
CTRL+S
Usually when you are first booting up, the first screen will display in text which key(s) to press to enter setup.
On some machines, you have to hit ESC first to clear the manufacturer's logo.
For an AMI BIOS it's usually DELETE
For an Award or Phoenix BIOS it's usually CTRL+ALT+ESC, F2 or DELETE
For a Compaq BIOS it's usually F10

You do need to be carefull of the changes you make as it can cause problems, just remember them so you can go back and re-do them if need be. Any changes made need to be saved.

Collapse -
THANKS
by 3151jeff / June 15, 2005 10:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Computer Bios

That is what I needed to know. Things like this are easy for people involved with computers, but being new how does one learn? But this is off topic and I will shut up for now, on this string at least.

Collapse -
No problem
by retired / June 15, 2005 10:42 AM PDT
In reply to: THANKS

When you get into the BIOS, navigate with the up/down arrows and make changes with the +/- keys. after the changes are made press the ESC key to return to the main menu, you may have to use the Enter key to enter sub menu's. Post back if you need more info.

Collapse -
To reinstall Windows...
by jainbhawna12 / August 23, 2009 8:57 AM PDT

1.In Windows XP: Plug in a flash drive or external hard drive (or a floppy disk if you really want to). If you want, you can also use a blank CD-R , as long as you have a CD burner(CD-R/CD-RW).

2. Open the My Documents folder, as well as any other folders that you have files stored in. Open My Computer, and find the HDD, floppy, or flash drive you want to use. If it's a CD, then double-click it to get to a blank burning folder; XP can burn CDs.

3. Drag and drop all files into the folder from My Computer.

4. Click Start>Programs and make a list of all programs you have installed.

5. Make sure you have the driver install CDs handy, they should have come with the computer.

6. Insert your legit XP disk. Restart the computer.

7. When the DELL(tm) logo appears, start hitting the F2 key repeatedly until the Dell screen disapears and a screen like this one appears: (pic here http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/pblan/b1.jpg).

8. Push the arrow keys to get to the Boot menu. Press the indicated keys to move the CD drive to the top, then the HDD. (pic here http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/pblan/b5.jpg)

9. Push F10 to save changes and exit the BIOS.

10. When the "Press any key to boot from CD..." message appears, press any key (or just whack the keyboard like I do, as it'll hit a few random keys).

11. Once your computer gets to the screen "Welcome to setup" press ENTER.

12. Look at the license agreement and push F8 if you agree.

13. You should now be at a step for partitioning. Push D to delete the partition, the L to confirm. Then push C to create a new one. Push Enter. Choose to format with NTFS (Quick) and push enter.

14. Wait a while. Your computer will format the Hard drive, copy files, and then restart. When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message appears, DON'T PRESS ANY KEY. The computer will say "Microsoft Windows XP" like the startup screen.

15. The computer will now boot into the second part of second. Here you have the graphical interface and mouse. Follow the steps, they're pretty obvious. For the TCP/IP networking one, leave it at the default. Know that your computer's name CANNOT be the same as the user account's name.

16.For the workgroup or domain, leave it at the default workgroup unless you're sure of what you want it to be. this can be changed later if necessary.

17.Your computer will restart.

18. If asked about screen resolution, click Ok, the ok again.

19. Finish the rest, then click Finish.

(pics http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/winxp/install.mspx )

20. Restart the computer. Press F2 to enter the BIOS as I said earlier, go to the boot menu, and set the HDD to be the first boot device. Remove the XP CD. Press F10 to save and exit.

21. You computer should load XP. Login.

22. Insert the driver CD, and install drivers as indicated here: (http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/pblan/driver2k.htm)

23. Plugin the flash drive, external HDD, floppy(s), or CD that you used earlier for your data. Open My computer, or use autoplay if it comes up to get to the drive. Copy all of your files back to the places they were like My Documents.

24. Look at your list of programs that you made, and download or install them from the CDs.

You should now be finished reinstalling Microsoft Windows XP!

Collapse -
Re-installation
by Pistol Packin Pete / June 28, 2007 8:36 AM PDT

These are great instructions. Thank You.

Collapse -
CLEAN INSTALL WITH PROBLEMS
by yankeegrl75 / August 22, 2009 4:02 AM PDT

I did this and now I have 3 operating systems on my computer. Can anyone help on what to do, all I wanted to do was do a clean install and now I do not know what is going on HELP!!!

Collapse -
Can you re-post?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 23, 2009 5:26 AM PDT

Posting in this old thread and many members will 'walk on by' when they see the age.

Your best bet is to create your own thread, describe your system as requested in the red note above each submission window, explain the problem, then others are sure to try and help.

Good luck.

Mark

Collapse -
partitioning...
by jainbhawna12 / August 23, 2009 9:00 AM PDT

when the setup prompts you for partitioning, MAKE SURE TO DELETE ALL PARTITIONS AND THEN CREATE ONE NEW ONE (NTFS quick or FAT quick) RATHER THAN LEAVING THE EXISTING PARTITIONS OR INSTALLING OVER ANOTHER PARTITION!!! It is critical that you do so to make sure you do not end up with multiple Operating System Installs on the computer!

Collapse -
Wiping out software
by ajs1266 / June 16, 2005 6:24 AM PDT

Thanks for the help; I have purchased a legit XP and will install it; just wish I had known the original was not legit. I'll let you know how it goes.

Collapse -
How can I delete one of the Operating System?
by Mystique11373 / January 24, 2008 6:01 AM PST

Hi My name is Mystique. I didn't realize it I had two Operating Systems on my hard drive. I though I had deleted XP, and I upgraded Vista. How can I deleted my XP?

Collapse -
Format
by Argotec / June 16, 2005 10:17 PM PDT

Just a point the lsass shutdown that pops up normally indicates that the system has a virus, probably one of the 'Blaster' versions. So make sure that you fully format the disk and if you have backed up any info, check it for viruses before reinstalling it!

Collapse -
How do I delete my operating system?
by danielarbib / June 16, 2005 10:28 PM PDT

There is a useful utility called KillDisk which you can download to a floppy which, which automatically runs on boot-up and wipes everything off you drive. The change bott-up to run from CD and install your new XPpro and then spend ages downloading/installing Microsoft's security and SP2.

Collapse -
Isass virus
by Swampgal / June 17, 2005 1:45 AM PDT

I have Norton and AdAware. I run both regularly and nothing is found. Norton updates frequently. However, if I have to use Windows Task Manager to stop a program that stops working I see Isass.exe as one of the programs running, 00 CPU usage, 1080K, and USER NAME "System". Does this mean I still have the Isass after I paid a chunk of money to have it removed? I, too, am thinking of changing my OS but this worries me now.

Collapse -
Not Virus - Microsoft (background) program
by Freebro / June 17, 2005 8:24 PM PDT
In reply to: Isass virus

LSASS.EXE is an XP porogram, so no problem there.

This is what I have for my XP Pro:
Version Number: 5.1.2600.2180
Description: LSA Shell (Export Version)
Copyright:

Collapse -
Installed Win 98 on HP P4 format all install failed
by allenjmp / January 27, 2007 2:09 AM PST

Hi Have HP Desk top with P 4 processor and 40 GB HD. Got off pal
PC was pass word protected. Tried to re install XP would not work.
Idea was to the install WIN 98 second addition. When formatting deleted all partitions, if install failed I then had no safe partition. Format worked when installing all went well until the final part of the installation to finish off plug and play. Tried to finish off the install several times but kept getting stuck at the same part of the install. Pal told me to do a F DISK did this and re formatted. When I try to install XP get to the licence agreement to agree press F8 try to press key board won?t no response I have a USB KB and a old connection. When I press esc to abort install key board works no problem. Any help would be great. Reg JA Basically I want to do a complete clean install.

Collapse -
Just so you know.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 27, 2007 4:52 AM PST

Posting to someone else's discussion on page 2 is likely to go unnoticed.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.