Computer Newbies

General discussion

How do I delete extra OS and local drive?

by antispygirl / November 25, 2004 6:35 AM PST

Hello-- Please bear with a newbie Happy

There are two OS on my computer. Everytime I boot my Compaq Presario desktop computer, it makes me "chose Operating System" and I have to pick. I have two local drives now, and the smaller of the two is the default. I have included details and circumstances of problems and their error messages below to aid in diagnosis:

I tried to download Service Pack 2. It said I didn't have enough disk space. When I went to "My Computer" to check out what was going on, I found that I had two hardrives-- a "C:\" hard drive and a "D:\" hard drive. The C:\ drive has 17.09 GB of space with 16.45 GB free. The D:\ drive has 2.93 GB of space with 17 MB free.

The first problem is that it defaults to D:\ instead of C:\. (I think my desktop may even reside on D:\)

I can't install any Windows Updates because I don't know how to tell Windows Installer to install them on C:\ instead of D:\. Everything goes fine with small updates like Hotfixes, but not large ones like SP2. The download of SP2 went fine at first, but then I got an error message saying there wasn't enough available disk space to install it.

Below are two more problems that are related to this core issue: I don't understand what's causing this, so I'll just tell you what happened by describing two incidents which I think may be related.

1-- I downloaded a Freeware Diskcleaner Utility file from the internet and saved it on C:\. So the setup file was residing on C:\. I ran the setup and got an error msg saying that there wasn't enough disk space on D:\ to install the program. This confused me because the program did not reside on D:\, and I specified all files reside on C:\ during the installation.

2-- I tried to install some Adobe fonts I need in order to print some Manuals for work. The font files were on a CD ROM disk. I tried to copy and paste them off of the disk, and onto the desktop. It said there wasn't enough space on D:\ to do this (This is why I think my desktop resides on D:\) I copied the files to the "Fonts" folder on drive C:\. But when I opened the PDF documents that needed the fonts, I got another error message saying the fonts were not installed.

I booted the computer to command prompt. It made me select a Windows OS (there was not an option to start in DOS). The command prompt defaulted to D:\. I changed directory to C:\, then tried to format D:\ but was unable. Then I did "Erase D:\*.*" It erased some, but not all of the files on D:\. Then I switched over to D:\ and tried to do erase and format C:\ with similar results. Then I rebooted the computer with my XP disk in the drive. Like always it went to the "Choose Operating System". When I selected "XP Home" (the OS I want to keep), it went to what would normally be the Desktop View. But there were no files, no Windows Explorer Bar, no start menu, etc. The system did not respond to "CTRL+Alt+Del". I restarted the machine by turning it off and on with the power button. Then I hit F8 and went to the boot menu. I selected "Boot in Command Prompt" again, and ran XP Home Edition setup directly off of my CD Rom Drive (F:\) from the cmd prompt. The setup seemed to go find until at the end, I got an error message saying that some files were not installed. It prompted me to logoff the computer and restart. It said that XP installation would complete from there. I logged off and rebooted from the cmd prompt (shutdown/l, shutdown/r). It rebooted to the usual "Chose Operating System" screen. I choose XP Home Edition. It loaded the "blank Desktop" view once more.

How do I delete the unwanted OS and extra drive? How do I reinstall XP so that the desktop view is not blank?

I don't mind wiping everything clean and starting from scratch-- but I don't know how to do that. I would really appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks!
Adrienne

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I delete extra OS and local drive?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I delete extra OS and local drive?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: How do I delete extra OS and local drive?
by Paul C / November 25, 2004 9:51 PM PST

OK, Adrienne,

Before you do anything else, backup what you don't want to lose (downloaded files, media files, etc.), preferably to a removable media such as a CD.

Now, double click My Computer on the desktop. Open the C: drive. Do you see the WINDOWS directory there? If so, then your desktop resides on the C: drive.

The problem you might have in all this is that your prior deletions may have totally trashed your installation, in which case you will have to start over.

When you download something, it should ask you where you want the file stored. Are you sure that you know where the machine is storing it?

Just a few suggestions here. Start with that and let us know what happens.

Paul

Collapse -
Re: How do I delete extra OS and local drive?
by dcrewchief / November 27, 2004 10:35 AM PST

if you are wanting to start over just boot into setup and select cd-rom as 1st boot. put xp disc in drive and reboot. when the windows install starts you will have the option to delete all partitions and create a new one to install windows on. you have to delete all partitions or you will still have problems.once you have deleted all partitions then you can create one large partition to install windows. just answer yes to the large volume question and the whole drive will be one partition. i am not the greatest at explaining this but this is the general way of approaching it. i am sure the moderators can lend further assistance if needed.

Collapse -
OS Deletion
by pedro731 / January 17, 2005 1:13 AM PST

My PC has both XP and Me. As of late, my XP hasn't been working well and, call me nostalgic, but I've decided to get rid of it and go back to Me. So my question is, how can I delete XP while keeping winMe intact? Do I have to remove a partition? If so, how?

I wonder whether it's easier to just delete both operating systems, start from scratch and then boot
winMe. I'm inclinded towards this option, since it will both "cleanup" my hard drive and do away with XP at the same time. And if it's not too much to ask, I wonder how I could set winMe as my default OS, so that if I happen to add XP once again, I don't have to choose between one of the two operating systems everytime I boot.

If these questions demand to much of an elaborate answer, then I'd be just as pleased to receive information/links as to where I can find the answers
I need.

I would really appreciate your help. Thanks

pedro731

Collapse -
Re:
by Brent Welch / January 18, 2005 4:50 AM PST
In reply to: OS Deletion

If Windows ME is installed on your C:\ drive, then you can simply format the partition that has Windows XP on it.

After that you will have to edit the boot.ini file on your C:\ drive with Notepad and deleting the line for Windows XP. You will have to set folder options to view hidden and protected system files to see the boot.ini file.

Alternatively, you could also just edit the boot.ini file as stated above, and leave Win XP on your other partition.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
I installed three XP operation system in my new hard disk
by rezamobine / January 21, 2005 9:57 AM PST

I have now three copy of operation (Windows XP) in my new hard disk, My machine is an IBM 2164631 Optiva, API 7675, bios date 02/09/99. How can I delit the extra Windows? Please show me direction. I did this to overcome the error message, NTLDR.Thank you.

Collapse -
RE:I installed three XP operation system in my new hard disk
by josh2001 / April 18, 2005 10:49 PM PDT

hello rezamobine,

I had the same problem once, the only way to fix it is to reinstall your OS, for example XP PRO, and when it says "which partition would you like to install it", you have do delete all the partitions there (you will loose all your programs in those drivers though, so firstly back them up with floppy or CD-R/CD-RW). Then there will be one partition left called unpartitioned space, you then have to create your OS into that partition. If you need any more help please contact me at:

josh_jnr2004@hotmail.com

and i will answer as fast as i can.

Joshua
OS Administrator

Collapse -
delete OS
by Dobby / January 21, 2005 4:34 PM PST

To do the job right, you should reformat entire drive or drives, depending on how many you have! Place install disc of OS you want to use (why you would prefer ME over XP is beyond me, but your choice). When screen asks if you want to boot off CD, hit enter. Setup will begin...will ask if you want to install new OS...click letter for yes. You will have the opportunity to decide where you want to install same...if you have one drive that is now partitioned, you will install there...if you have two separate drives, you will decide which one to install to. You must delete partition on each drive, and create a new one, before installation! Decide which drive (if you have two) you want to install on...create that partitin first...it will become C drive...then other drive will become D, when you do the same on that one. After partitions have been created on both drives, you must format before installing OS...sounds more difficult, than it is.......good luck!

Collapse -
Format with the latest XP disk you can get!
by Timbo77 / January 21, 2005 5:04 PM PST

I had this problem, I didn't mind it too bad but it got old quick. The only thing I can find for a fix is to format with the latest xp disk you can get. Be warned it is a job and may take a few tries but it does work. Back up everything you want to keep. cant say it'll work for you but It has worked for every computer i've touched lately, 10 desktops and 5 laptops. This is the only fix I've encountered.

Collapse -
help with extra OS and hard drive.
by josh2001 / April 18, 2005 10:45 PM PDT

hello Adrienne,

I had the same problem once, the only way to fix it is to reinstall your OS, for example XP PRO, and when it says "which partition would you like to install it", you have do delete all the partitions there (you will loose all your programs in those drivers though, so firstly back them up with floppy or CD-R/CD-RW). Then there will be one partition left called unpartitioned space, you then have to create your OS into that partition. If you need any more help please contact me at:

josh_jnr2004@hotmail.com

and i will answer as fast as i can.

Joshua
OS Administrator

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.