Computer Help

Resolved Question

How do I delete everything off my laptop to sell?

by Junomaster2006 / December 3, 2012 3:30 AM PST

How do I delete everything off my laptop to sell? I currently have a Window Vista, HP that I've bought back in 2009. Ive looked over google and still can't find a clear and legit answer. The links on google says to burn the program onto a disk (which I don't have) or simply by deleting or uninstalling files. Simply deleteing files does not guarentee that it'll be safe from thefts which I'm worry about.

Does anyone have a link or help me guide through step by step how to have everything removed so I can sell my laptop?

Junomaster2006 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I delete everything off my laptop to sell?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I delete everything off my laptop to sell?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by Junomaster2006

Collapse -
Re: delete everything
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 3, 2012 3:35 AM PST

- Are you sure that that laptop doesn't have a DVD-burner? They were already quite common in 2009.
- Did the laptop come with recovery disks or a Vista disk?
- What exactly do you mean with "delete everything"? Does that mean 'everything including WIndows' or 'my own programs and data'?
- If necessary, are you able to burn a disk with a downloaded program elsewhere (like a friend or family)?
- Can the laptop boot from a bootable USB-stick?

So, sorry, not a guide but 5 questions.

Kees

Collapse -
Answering questions
by Junomaster2006 / December 3, 2012 4:03 AM PST
In reply to: Re: delete everything

I do have burning capability but I don't have any disk at home to do so, not I really want to purchase one. I did have some sort of recovery disk when I purchase my laptop but I have no idea where it's located now as I may have thrown it out when moving. I want to clear my hard drive well enough to that it's still functional and so it's safe to sell.

Collapse -
Then use the onboard recovery.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2012 4:48 AM PST
In reply to: Answering questions

And when you sell it, do not give any WARRANTY or an inkling you can support the machine. You can't since there are no restore media.
Bob

Collapse -
Agreed.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / December 15, 2013 12:44 AM PST

This is the way to go. Just noted this is an old thread.

Dafydd.

Collapse -
Answer
In two steps.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2012 3:35 AM PST

This will be good enough for 99.99% of us.

Use the factory restore system (it's some F-key at power up) and you now have a factory setup without your files.

Oh, but how to clear out the space that is not in use and may have files from the past, invisible except for forensics at Homeland Security? Go get CCLEANER and use it's FREE SPACE ERASER. http://www.piriform.com/docs/ccleaner/using-ccleaner/wiping-free-disk-space

If you wipe the drive then you made that choice to wipe out the restore feature!

Bob

Collapse -
For this I don't like DBAN.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2012 3:56 AM PST
In reply to: In two steps.

Unless you tested your recovery MEDIA it's just a bad idea.

Try the onboard restore and create the restore media if you forgot.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Considerations
by wpgwpg / December 3, 2012 3:53 AM PST

Personally I like something like what Bob suggested. However if you really want to clean everything including Windows and all the software, you can use DBAN (Darik's Nuke And Boot) which will wipe that hard completely clean. Of course it wouldn't be usable for anything then until someone installed an OS.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Answer
This way
by neo jensson / December 15, 2013 12:31 AM PST

If you have OS installation cd. Use ErAce form erace.it .After that instal OS from cd

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.