Camcorders forum

General discussion

How do I convert MOD files

by Brokerjax / December 27, 2005 11:34 AM PST

I just puchased the new JVC digital 30 gig HD camcorder and when I downloaded the files onto my computer the only program that could play it was the Power dvd program because the files are MOD. How do I convert the files to something windows media player can read and play?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I convert MOD files
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I convert MOD files
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How do I convert MOD files
by jcrobso / December 28, 2005 6:37 AM PST

What does the book that came with thing say about how download and edit the files?? John

Collapse -
i know how!
by fatshim / January 5, 2006 10:57 PM PST

you need to open the software which came with the camera (i just bought it and had the exact same problem, took me hours to figure out!) then go to file and click load file. you then select the file from the camera and either trim it by dragging the starting and ending frames into the in and out boxes. you then click set and select execute or create or whatever it is i cant remember of the top of my head and then you chose dv stream and it will convert the files (to the destination folder of your choice). this is a relatively long process and i was wondering whether it was possible to simply play the mod files some other way? hope i could be of service to you. post a reply if i was helpful!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks, I'll try that
by Brokerjax / January 8, 2006 5:18 PM PST
In reply to: i know how!
Collapse -
change .MOD files
by fastfinger / January 28, 2006 11:02 AM PST

I know ( yes,I know) this is not elegant... but I am not an advanced user...and I'm a total newbie to video.
(A) I upload .MOD files from Everio to computer and (B) rename the file with a .AVI extension --- at least this allows me to work on it with other software. Sure wish JVC would offer a har dpatch to change to .AVI as default file type.

Collapse -
Not Working!
by Aussie07 / July 8, 2007 3:33 PM PDT

I have Vista Bussiness running on my system and PowerDirector, the software JVC provided does not work. Also, when I change the file extension to .mpg or .avi, Windows thinks it is an audio file, and does not play the video, only the sound.

Collapse -
use my tool sdcopy.exe
by sektionschef / July 10, 2007 5:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Not Working!
Collapse -
SDCopy
by Aussie07 / July 12, 2007 9:22 PM PDT
In reply to: use my tool sdcopy.exe

Hi sektionschef,
Thank you very much for that tool, nice that it works with Vista! It allows Windows Media Player to play it now, how ever Movie maker still thinks it is an audio file (and my other A/V software is not Vista compatible!)
At least your tool allows me to watch my videos on the computer now!

Collapse -
Time / date stamp on video
by bikekadude / July 19, 2008 4:33 PM PDT
In reply to: SDCopy

Hi sektionschef,

Thank you for SDcopy. It a great tool. Is there a way to bring the time / date stamp (the one on the video) over with the video file conversion? I have JVC HDD camcorder and the time / date stamp is stored on separate files (I think). This is a real peeve of mine with JVC...

Thanks

Collapse -
It's been a year but...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 19, 2008 8:59 PM PDT

If you research the date/time you will discover why it is that way as well as the post processing tools to overlay such.

Collapse -
converting mod files to mpg with sdcopy get audio no picture
by jsutton8 / July 25, 2007 11:44 AM PDT

I have a panasonic sdr-h18 HD camcorder that I just bought. I can play movie fine thru the TV or on my PC with the supplied panasonic software. However, if I copy the .mod files to my computer and use sdcopy to convert them to mpg, that appears to work fine, but any player, windows media, real audio or several others i have will only play the audio portion, there is no picture.
Any ideas?

Collapse -
Does VLC PLAYER play them?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 25, 2007 11:46 AM PDT

If so, it's a missing CODEC.

Collapse -
yes vlc player works
by jsutton8 / July 25, 2007 12:39 PM PDT

The files will play on the vlc player. I'm new to the video stuff, so if it is missing CODEC what does that mean and is there a fix.
Basically, I would like to add videos to youtube and do some editing with a program with a little more capability than microsoft movie maker. Any hope for this camcorder? Also another file that is generated by the camcorder is a very small file with same name but extension .moi. I don't know what that is or if it has any significance.

Collapse -
How to identify that codec.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 25, 2007 9:30 PM PDT
In reply to: yes vlc player works

Look up GSPOT (use all one word) on google.com. This tool should help identify the CODEC to look for.

Sorry but file extensions do not identify the encoding.

Bob

Collapse -
ran GSPOT
by jsutton8 / July 26, 2007 3:08 AM PDT

I ran the GSPOT and got the video codec as being MPEG-2 and the message codec(s) Installed. Under container I got DVD "VOB" format
MPEG-2 program stream (i vid, 1 aud)

Collapse -
Ahh that one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 26, 2007 3:40 AM PDT
In reply to: ran GSPOT

That's supplied (not free) by your DVD PLAYER SOFTWARE. You'll get that in titles like PowerDVD etc. It's not supplied with Windows except for the ones that play DVDs (MCE, Vista Ultimate, etc.)

Bob

Collapse -
The best Codec pacs.
by elcmusic / June 28, 2008 3:20 AM PDT

Hi.
The BEST codec packs you can (and should) download are:
1. Ace mega codec pack PRO.
2. Morgan multimedia (for mjpeg cameras like Canon SX100)
Install them in that order.

As for .MOD I have't check yet....

Good Luck.
Eli.

Collapse -
Thx!
by kimbotas / August 27, 2007 1:47 AM PDT

Hey thanks a billion for that fix to this prob. it took me ages to figure out what to do and you just saved me USD$80 for an upgrade to PD6.

Grin

Collapse -
Thanks man
by baylind / December 25, 2007 10:35 PM PST

Hey the tool works great. its amazing who can create such tools.. great stuff...

Collapse -
Requirements???
by BugManChad / June 19, 2008 1:33 AM PDT

I used your program with success on my Vista Laptop, but have tried it on both 2000 and XP and when I try to find the Source Directory, it never sees the .MOD files on the camera. I was really pleased with the speed of the download and conversion on my laptop, thanks. I am using this with a Canon FS11 by the way. Is there something else that I should do in order for the files to appear on the XP or 2000 machines, or is it just not going to work? Thanks this is a great utility that makes using the camera much more palatable at least on my Vista.

Collapse -
SDcopy should work on Win2k/XP
by sektionschef / June 29, 2008 10:53 PM PDT
In reply to: Requirements???

Hi
SDcopy should work fine on Win2k/XP too.
Can you please give me a more detailed description of your problem:
-Can you select the source folder with windows explorer and see the MOD files there?
-Are you able to select the source folder using SDcopy or doesn't SDcopy see the source folder at all?
-What do you see if you use manual selection in SDCopy? Does SDcopy find some MOD files then?
-Do you use the latest Version V1.9985beta of SDcopy?
You can get it here: http://zyvid.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=280.0;id=216
Regards
Sektionschef

Collapse -
Thanks for the reply.
by BugManChad / June 29, 2008 11:03 PM PDT

It wasn't even seeing the source file. I checked the version an it was the older 1.9.0.9 I will try uploading the Beta, and see if that makes a difference if I get time later today.

Collapse -
Trying to contact Sektionschef
by xrobau / July 11, 2008 2:59 PM PDT

..but you're a hard man to find. If you need to know where in the MOI file the 16:9 or 4:3 details are, it's at characters 128 and 129 - ^DQ is 16:9, and ^DU is 4:3.. I looked at a whole pile of files and that seems to be common factor.

--Rob
(xrobau@gmail.com)

Collapse -
Works great but some files don't set Wide Screen flag
by mtanu / August 11, 2008 8:11 PM PDT

Hi sektionschef,
I've been using your SDcopy tool since v1.99, and it is a life saver for dealing with my JVC Everio MOD files. The tools works for most 16:9 files, but I have encountered some files that go through the processing of SDcopy fine, but when I open in WMP, it displays 4:3. It's from the same camera, but for some reason it's not setting the WS flag correctly for some files. Any ideas? Maybe I can send you a short clip for you to take a look?

Thanks,
- mars -

Collapse -
What about sound... or do I have other issues
by m00ndude1 / September 7, 2007 7:05 AM PDT

Tried the file extension renaming and the software from the gentleman listed below... they both yield a VALID mpeg file for viewing, but on these I do not have ANY sound... did we miss something in getting the data to this point (MOD) or is it that the MOD file does not contain both the sound and video...?

Again the examples below work for the VIDEO, i just do not have sound... the camcorder is a JVC.

TIA,

h.

Collapse -
A Plague on JVC for allowing this to happen
by content_placid / April 15, 2008 12:54 AM PDT

I (WinXP / Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum SW) also bought a nice JVC GZ-MG330 (red) this morning only to stumble on the "MOD" file compatibilty problem: My advice is to ditch the SW supplied - it will play the MOD files in correct 16:9 aspect ratio but not much other use. Copy the files JVC>PC with Windows Explorer and use SDCOPY to "convert" to MPG files BUT remember to select the 16:9 aspect ratio in the parameters. The original MOD files seem to be 720(w)*576(h) in pixel resolution (i.e. aspect ratio of 5:4). I guess that camera distorts the image capture of 16:9 into this size and hopes that your PC s/w will work it all out (it doesn't!). SDCOPY happily sorts it all out for you. Thanks a million to the SDCOPY author.

Collapse -
About MOD
by richard_ogima / August 6, 2008 9:58 AM PDT

Well I have spent several hours trying to use all the tips on making MOD files work in Adobe; however, all of the examples still haven't worked. My professional Adobe Package that cost a fortune hasn't given me any success yet so I decided to try out the cheaper video program I bought called Pinnacle Studio and MAGIC, the MOD files work well, infact it work better than well, even the green screen shots render almost perfectly. This amazes me and frustrates me considering Adobe Premier was pretty costly. I guess I will have to use Pinnacle to convert the files so that I can use them in Premier...good thing I shot a lot of footage too, oh well, I will eventually figure this out...sweetness!

Collapse -
Convert MOD
by woo12345 / November 27, 2008 2:33 PM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.