Office & Productivity Software forum

Question

How do I convert a .docx fill-in-the-blanks form to a .doc?

by N.T.Gray / November 4, 2012 10:55 AM PST

I created, for posting on a web site, a fill-in-the-blanks form in MS Word 2010 that works just fine for people who have Word 2007 or 2010 (.docx). Unfortunately, Word 2003 doesn't read the file properly. When I "save as" to 2003 (.doc), the form doesn't work. How can I convert the file so that people with Word 2003 can fill it in?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I convert a .docx fill-in-the-blanks form to a .doc?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I convert a .docx fill-in-the-blanks form to a .doc?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
One of my laptops seems OK with DOCX
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 5, 2012 3:38 AM PST

I added that add on from Microsoft. For you to create a fillintheform.doc on Word 2003, I fear you would need 2003.

I'll test it on my Office Word 2003 w/Microsoft's Docx addon if you wish. Just click on my name and drop me a line.
Bob

Collapse -
If I understand you correctly. . .
by N.T.Gray / November 5, 2012 7:51 AM PST

. . .the recipient would need the 2003 add-on in order to be able to read the form I created. That's probably not practical, since many of the web site visitors wouldn't have the add-on. (The one who alerted me to the problem, for example). I saw online instructions for creating .doc forms using Word 2003, but I don't have that any more. So if there's no way to convert, I guess my only option will be to put in a requisition for Acrobat and make a .pdf file, which I assume everybody in the known universe would be able to read. (Saving the .docx file to .pdf via Word doesn't work, either).

NTG

Collapse -
Seems odd to me.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 5, 2012 10:40 AM PST

In the circles I run it's well accepted to install this add on. It's free and saves you from many compatibility issues. I can't guess why I'd not install this.

As to your PDF assumption. Hope it works out.
Bob

Collapse -
How about this?
by N.T.Gray / November 5, 2012 11:37 AM PST
In reply to: Seems odd to me.

Alright, suppose I added a line on the web site under the link to the document:

IF YOU DO NOT HAVE MS WORD 2007 OR 2010 ON YOUR COMPUTER, YOU MUST AT LEAST HAVE WORD 2003 WITH THE ______________ ADD-ON IN ORDER TO READ AND FILL OUT THIS FORM. THIS ADD-ON CAN BE DOWNLOADED FROM __________________,

What goes in the blanks?

Collapse -
Let's find it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 5, 2012 12:37 PM PST
In reply to: How about this?
Collapse -
That looks like a wrap!
by N.T.Gray / November 5, 2012 9:54 PM PST
In reply to: Let's find it.

I'd say "Mission accomlished."

Bob, I always appreciate your replies and your knowledge. You've solved yet another problem for me. Thank you.

Nathanael

Collapse -
You're welcome.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 5, 2012 10:36 PM PST

Right or wrong at our office we use an old Office till it hurts. We're not adverse to new versions but we found this add on to work well enough to avoid replacing licenses ahead of time. My offer to try this for you once stands. I can't develop for you but I can try it once.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Tested this. It didn't work in Office 2003 well.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 8, 2012 4:59 AM PST

I had to unlock the document to type into the fields. If you need to do this, you'll want Word 2003 and dig up the old discussions about fill in the blank documents.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.