Computer Help

General discussion

How do I COMPLETELY delete EVERYTHING on my PC?

by SBowick / May 18, 2005 12:09 AM PDT

Want to recycle my old PC. Therefore, I need to delete all files and software. How do I completely delete everything so that no one can retrieve any old info?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I COMPLETELY delete EVERYTHING on my PC?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I COMPLETELY delete EVERYTHING on my PC?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Look up KILLDISK on google.com
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 18, 2005 12:18 AM PDT
Collapse -
Take out the hard drive
by Yew / May 18, 2005 1:47 AM PDT

Then have some fun bashing the crap out of it. After you shatter a platter or two, someone would have to have pretty deep pockets and steadfast determination to get at whatever data was on that drive.

Collapse -
If you have competition...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 18, 2005 2:12 AM PDT

Take the hard disk out and let it stick to your 2000 Watt Bass Boomer speaker magnet for a week. Now give it to the tech at the competing shop. That should cost them some productivity loss.

Evil Bob

Collapse -
HA-HA-HA!!! Real funny.
by SBowick / May 18, 2005 4:19 AM PDT

Now seriously, I need some good answers. So far I only received one, but I'm not to sure about KILLDISK. So if anyone has any other suggestions and/or knows anything about KILLDISK, please advise.

Collapse -
Killdisk. What it does.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 18, 2005 4:38 AM PDT

"KillDisk - Hard Drive Eraser is powerful and compact DOS software that allows you to destroy all data on hard and floppy drives completely, excluding any possibility of future recovery of deleted files and folders. It's a hard drive and partition eraser utility."

killdisk.com

And the price is right.

Good Bob

Collapse -
After reading KILLDISK's manual...
by SBowick / May 18, 2005 5:09 AM PDT

I'm not too clear as to whether or not it will delete the operating system. Do you know and have you used this tool?

Collapse -
Yes. The OS will be gone and I've used it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 18, 2005 5:40 AM PDT

It's just the ticket (program) when you want to give away a machine and want no information left on the hard disk.

Best of luck,

Bob

Collapse -
No OS after using Drive Scrubber
by meldrewm / March 23, 2008 11:14 PM PDT

I see you have used a different application to delete all info including os. I have used Drive Scrubber and am faced with this on a black screen "E:\DSCRUB>" I have the recovery disks for this Sony vaio which I gave to my daugher. She now wants to sell on, so we wanted any private stuff gone.
I used the option to clean everything including the Os, thinking that the recovery disks would re install everything, but when I put the recovery disk in cd rom, it starts spinning but nothing happens, then it stops revovling.

Computer is a Sony vaio laptop FD807K with Windows 2000 Professional

Collapse -
See my answer in your original post.
by Kees Bakker / March 23, 2008 11:23 PM PDT
Collapse -
I've Used Killdisk Also...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 18, 2005 8:16 AM PDT

I work for a government agency and when we "surplus" our computers, I use Killdisk to erase the harddisk of all data. It conforms to the government standards for erasing the drive. At that point, the next user must install their own operating system, drivers and programs in order to use the machine.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
It works....
by Willy / May 18, 2005 9:12 AM PDT

KILLDISK is pretty darn good. When you visit the website see its creditionals for military/gvt. level deletion, though the free version does only one pass, you can rerun more than once restarting the process. Believe me this is the pgm. you want to delete the HD before giving a system away.

tada -----Willy

Collapse -
How about Drive Scrubber?
by klonestar / May 18, 2005 4:25 PM PDT

I have Drive Scrubber. Its a free install and you just create a floppy disc and stick it in. It claims to scrub to govt. specs. Says it will erase the whole HD. I would run it a few times myself. (being a freebie) They offer a home version for 30.00 and a pro version for about 80.00 (which over writes 35 times)

It largely would depend on what type of data you need to get rid of. Im just a home pc user and nothing sacred on this machine anyway! Happy

I have been told a blow torch does a decent job.

Collapse -
Does DriveScrubber have a website?
by SBowick / May 19, 2005 1:55 AM PDT

So I can research it a little more. Also, have you used this as well and which version?

Collapse -
On most computers just
by John Robie / May 19, 2005 3:16 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) This looks like analysis paralysis.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 19, 2005 3:24 AM PDT
Collapse -
Comes with the territory!!
by SBowick / May 19, 2005 4:29 AM PDT

Just want to make sure that I select the appropriate tool. Looks like I have some good options and I appreciate everyone's input and helpful advice.
Thanks!!!!!

Collapse -
Try this program
by jcd / May 19, 2005 6:55 AM PDT
Collapse -
Great Wipe Program
by chucknobucks / May 20, 2005 1:04 AM PDT

Hello...Killdisk works very well and has some other features that make it attractive but I found a program called "Darik's Boot and Nuke" on the University of Washington's Computer Science Center's Links. http://dban.sourceforge.net/

They have free downloads to run from Floppy or CD. Only be careful and only have the Hard Drive you want to wipe installed and powered up on your machine because this thing will seek out and wipe every hard drive on the system. (Won't affect removable media).

Collapse -
I put XP on Windows ME
by rstevenson17 / June 2, 2005 3:47 PM PDT

Now I Have No Disk Space How Can I Delete My OS.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You can begin by starting a new thread
by Papa Echo / June 2, 2005 10:37 PM PDT
In reply to: I put XP on Windows ME
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.