Computer Help forum

General discussion

How Do I Close Preview Pane Windows Live Mail In Windows 7

by vetdad / January 10, 2010 10:40 AM PST

I've tried everything and cannot close the preview pane on Windows Live Mail in Windows 7

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How Do I Close Preview Pane Windows Live Mail In Windows 7
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How Do I Close Preview Pane Windows Live Mail In Windows 7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I found this.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 11, 2010 4:47 AM PST

I hope it helps as I don't use WLM.

The reading pane on the right side of the Mail page allows you to read and respond to mail without leaving the Inbox. To change the position of the preview pane, or remove it altogether:

1. In the upper-right corner of the page, click Options, and then click More options.
2. Under Customize your mail, click Reading pane settings.
3. Under Reading pane settings, select Right, Bottom, or Off.

Under When you first open your Inbox or another folder, set the reading pane to, select Show the first message automatically or Show a message only after you select it.
4. Click Save.

Does that do it?

Collapse -
Preview Pane now gone
by vetdad / January 11, 2010 6:03 AM PST
In reply to: I found this.

Thank you very much!!

Bud W.

Collapse -
(NT) Glad I could help.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 11, 2010 5:52 PM PST
In reply to: Preview Pane now gone
Collapse -
Cannot keep preview pane closed in Windows Live Mail (Win 7)
by Archive11 / February 5, 2010 2:05 AM PST
In reply to: Glad I could help.

I tried to use the suggestion above to keep the preview pane closed until an email is selected, but when I click 'Options' there is no such thing as 'More Options' as a choice in the drop down menu that is available on the right of the Menu bar of my installed Windows 7. I've seen this recommendation elsewhere, but with no way to get to Customize Your Mail one is at a deadend.
Any suggestions?

Collapse -
Closing the preview pane
by clint902 / January 18, 2012 1:30 AM PST

On my version of Windows live I clicked on "view/ then in the top center of the window are four boxes. One of the boxes says "reading pane". Just click on that then select "off". It worked for me. I imagine there are different versions of Windows Live mail out there but this worked for me. Most trojans that were caught by my anti virus software were trojans coming through my email. Leaving the preview pane open is a bad idea.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.