Mac Applications forum

Question

How do I clear cells of data but leave teh formulas in Excel

by garry52w / January 29, 2013 6:42 AM PST

iMac 0s10.6.8 Office, Microsoft Excel 2011 - I have a spreadsheet that I used last year for tax information. I would like to use the same spreadsheet this year but I can not clear the cells without removing the formulas as well. Does anyone know what I need to do.. I have followed the directions that I have found and tried all ways but still no success.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I clear cells of data but leave teh formulas in Excel
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I clear cells of data but leave teh formulas in Excel
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Let's say the formula is as such.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 29, 2013 6:50 AM PST

a1=b1+c1

This would be in cell a1. To clear the values I clear just cells b1 and c1. Of course that may result in some ERR! being shown in a1 but that's proper.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Re: clearing
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 29, 2013 7:10 AM PST

How to do this:
1. Protect all cells with formulas, so they won't be deleted.
2. Switch protection for the worksheet on.
3. Delete all.
The settings stay on, so next year it's just step 3 (unless the tax laws or your situation and thus the formulas change).

It makes sense to save a copy of the original worksheet before you do this. Just in case you erase a formula because you forgot to protect it.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.