Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

How do I check to see if UPnP is turned on for my PC?

by krar4 / November 29, 2004 10:24 AM PST

Hey all,

I need to turn on UPnP on my PC, but I don't know how to access that setting. Can somebody let me know where it is?

Thanks,
Rick Ross
krar4

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I check to see if UPnP is turned on for my PC?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I check to see if UPnP is turned on for my PC?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: How do I check to see if UPnP is turned on for my PC?
by David Chan / November 29, 2004 10:35 AM PST

Check in Administrative Tools | Services.

If you have a router there is also a setting in there for UPnP.
This has to be turned on if you are using a webcam.

Collapse -
Re: How do I check to see if UPnP is turned on for my PC?
by krar4 / November 29, 2004 10:49 PM PST

David,

I checked "Administrative Tools | Services" on the Control Panel.

There isn't a check-box or anything that I can see that says "UPnP". Sorry, but I need a little bit more direction.

Thanks again,
Rick

Collapse -
I'm not David but
by roddy32 / November 29, 2004 10:58 PM PST

If you click on it, which will highight it, an option should appear on the left of it that says "start this service". The "start" portion is underlined and is blue. Just click on that. I have XP SP2 so I assume that your system is the same. HTH

Collapse -
FWIW.
by Cursorcowboy / November 30, 2004 12:12 AM PST

1. Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) is an architecture supporting peer-to-peer Plug and Play functionality for network devices that:

? is designed to simplify device and network service installation and management.

? accomplishes device and service discovery and control through a driver-less, standards-based protocol mechanisms.

? can auto-configure network addressing, announce their presence on a network subnet, and enable the exchange of descriptions device and service descriptions.

? enables the computer to act as a UPnP control point to discover and control devices through a web or application interface.

Note: When UPnP support is installed and a UPnP device is added to a network, the Windows-based computer acts as a control point for that device and notification is provided on the taskbar that a new device is available.

2. UPnP involves five processes of functionality:

a. Discovery - A UPnP device advertises its presence on the network to other devices and control points by using the Simple Service Discovery Protocol (SSDP). A newly added control point uses SSDP to discover UPnP devices on the network. The information exchanged between the device and the control point is limited to discovery messages that provide basic information about the devices and their services, along with a description URL, which can be used to gather additional information about the device.

b. Description - Using the URL provided in the discovery process, a control point receives XML information about the device, such as make, model, and serial number. In addition, the description process can also include a list of embedded devices, embedded services, and URLs used to access device features.

c. Control - Control points use URLs provided during the description process to access additional XML information that describes actions to which the Universal Plug and Play device services respond, along with parameters for each action. Control messages are formatted in XML and use the Simple Object Access Protocol (SOAP) protocol.

d. Eventing - When a control point subscribes to a service, the service sends event messages to the control point to announce changes in device status. Event messages are formatted in XML and use General Event Notification Architecture (GENA).

e. Presentation - If a UPnP device provides a presentation URL, a browser can be used to access interface control features, device or service information, or any device-specific abilities implemented by the manufacturer.

3. To disable UPnP to determine whether the computer still operates or operates better and faster:

a. Right-click My Computer, Manage, Services and Applications, and then select "Services" (click to see an example screenshot).

b. Scroll down and double-click SSDP Dicovery Service, and then click Stop, Startup type, and then select Disabled.

c. Click OK to Exit and restart the computer.

4. Caveats:

a. When a computer is in Standby mode, any UPnP device(s) connected to the computer cannot be detected.

b. The Wake on LAN (WOL, where LAN is the abbreviation for local area network) ability of some network adapters is not activated by UPnP.

5. Supplemental reading:

a. "Microsoft Security Bulletin MS01-059" - Unchecked Buffer in Universal Plug and Play can Lead to System Compromise

b. "How to Add OEM Plug and Play Drivers to Windows Installations (Q254078) - Win2000."

c. "Invalid Universal Plug and Play Request can Disrupt System Operation (Q309073)."

Note: By sending a particular set of commands to an affected computer, an attacker could gradually deplete resources on a system to the point where performance could be slowed, or stopped altogether.

d. "Preventing Distributed Denial-of-Service Attacks that Use the Universal Plug-and-Play Service(Q315056)."

e. "Unchecked Buffer in Universal Plug and Play Can Lead to System Compromise for Windows XP (Q315000)."

f. "Universal Plug and Play in Windows XP."

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.