Windows 7 forum

General discussion

How do I change my default email program in IE?

by Pilaar39 / December 7, 2009 10:16 PM PST

In the past, when I clicked on an email link in my IE browser, it launched Gmail for me. Now, with Windows 7, it launches MS Outlook.

I poked around in the help for IE, and it appears that the only way to stop this behaviour is to remove Outlook, which I really don't want to do.

Is there some easy way I can force email links on webpages to open my Gmail account?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I change my default email program in IE?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I change my default email program in IE?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: mail
by Kees Bakker / December 7, 2009 10:19 PM PST

In IE, goto Tools>Internet Options>Programs and check the dropdown box for "email". What does it contain? What did it contain before you installed Windows 7?

Kees

Collapse -
not sure...
by Pilaar39 / December 7, 2009 10:39 PM PST
In reply to: Re: mail

Well, I can't recall what it was before, but now not even the options you suggest are the same.

When I select Tools > Internet options > Programs, there is no email tab. However, there is an option to set Internet Programs, which when I open it allows me to 'set program access and internet defaults', but that is where the problem lies: the only email options it offers are 'use my current email program', or 'use Outlook Express' It does not tell me HOW to change my current email program.

Maybe I would be fine configurin Outlook to access Gmail for the occasional times I click on an email link, but then again, I would not want Outlook to delete my emails from the Gmail server, yet I cannot find any option in Outlook to keep all mail on the (Gmail) server.

Thanks

Collapse -
Re: email
by Kees Bakker / December 7, 2009 11:00 PM PST
In reply to: not sure...
Collapse -
Ok, I should have been more specific..
by Pilaar39 / December 7, 2009 11:49 PM PST
In reply to: Re: email

Sorry, I forgot to say I am using IE8 and Win7

When I select Tools > Internet Options > Programs Tab, what is see is this:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2693/4169484540_cd1244c70f_o.png

and when I select 'set programs' I see this:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2640/4168722083_4c116afb4a_o.png

And then when I select 'set program access and computer defaults' I see this:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2735/4168722117_2295028b5b_o.png

Which as you can see, does not really give me a lot of options in selecting my default email program.

Collapse -
Did you try the other buttons on screen 2?
by Kees Bakker / December 7, 2009 11:54 PM PST

My guess is #2. mailto: is a protocol like http: that's mentioned there. Don't give up before you tried everything.

And, if it fails, how about this link: http://email.about.com/od/gmailtips/qt/et_default_prog.htm
It's titled: How to Make Gmail Your Default Email Program. Seems applicable.

Kees

Collapse -
yeah, well...
by Pilaar39 / December 8, 2009 12:33 AM PST
Collapse -
btw..
by Pilaar39 / December 8, 2009 12:41 AM PST

Your information:
"And, if it fails, how about this link: http://email.about.com/od/gmailtips/qt/et_default_prog.htm
It's titled: How to Make Gmail Your Default Email Program. Seems applicable."

does not seem to work either. I have tried this, and it still opens mailto: links with outlook.

There is a comment on that page"
"Unfortunately, you cannot set the Gmail web interface as your default email program in Windows Vista. You can set up Gmail in an email program such as Windows Mail, though, and thus send from your Gmail address by default."

However, I am not sure of the accuracy of this information, as I was using Gmail as my defaut MAILTO: emailer with Vista priot to upgrading this system to Win7. But then, I did not have Outlook installed on the Vista system, and it is on this Win7 system.

Collapse -
Re: gmail
by Kees Bakker / December 8, 2009 3:28 AM PST
In reply to: btw..

Sorry to read all of this. Gmail, of course, isn't a program. Gmail.com is an a url. And it seems you need a program to assign as default program.
I wonder how you did it in Vista.

Kees

Collapse -
Windows Live Mail may be your solution
by TaraS_WinTeam / December 11, 2009 7:50 AM PST
Collapse -
Windows Live Mail is not a solution...
by Rodan2000 / January 5, 2010 12:00 PM PST

...it's an option. It doesn't solve the issue at hand for users who prefer Google to Windows. =) Just seems like Microsoft doesn't like to play nice.

Collapse -
Is Upshot that Windows 7 Cannot Default to Gmail!?
by pattisteelman / August 10, 2010 2:38 AM PDT

Is the upshot to this back and forth q&a's that G-Mail cannot be set as the default in Internet Explorer (IE) using Windows 7? I have been using Windows 7 now for over a month and just soooooooooooooooooooo frustrated.

Thank you!

Collapse -
Tell more about Gmail please.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 10, 2010 3:26 AM PDT

This may be that same old issue about WEB BASED EMAIL not being an option. THAT TOPIC is now over a decade old so let's hear what you think Gmail is. The same issue and discussion has been done on Yahoo email and other web based email.
Bob

Collapse -
If this is Microsoft's idea of an intelligent reply! ROTFL!
by Moiiraine / December 14, 2013 11:44 AM PST

Microsoft needs to be sued for not allowing us to use any darned hook we want to in our email through INTERNET EXPLORER.

Why they will NOT tell us how to set their "mailto:" is past childish, it's into mentally deranged.

Collapse -
Try this link ...
by Edward ODaniel / August 10, 2010 8:19 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.