Speakeasy forum

General discussion

How concerned are you about these 3D-printed guns and why?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / May 7, 2013 8:28 AM PDT
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How concerned are you about these 3D-printed guns and why?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How concerned are you about these 3D-printed guns and why?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
not concerned

anyone who wants a gun, can with enough effort obtain a gun. Probably a better one than a "printed" one. Beside that, anyone with shop experience on a metal lathe, or even just some welding, plasma cutter and metal drilling equipment could probably make a decent gun.

Collapse -
(NT) 3D printed ones nonmetal nondetectable
by Roger NC / May 7, 2013 9:40 AM PDT
In reply to: not concerned
Collapse -
They would be if loaded, I'd think
by Steven Haninger / May 7, 2013 9:53 AM PDT

unless you can print plastic bullets too.

Collapse -
Nondetectable guns are illegal.
by Teako / May 7, 2013 10:11 AM PDT

President Reagan signed a law saying that an undetectable gun is illegal. just think what you could get through a metal detector at airports, the we House, courts, etc. That doesn't sound like a good thing to me.

Collapse -
Criminals don't care about laws
by Steven Haninger / May 7, 2013 10:52 AM PDT

They're not afraid of pieces of inked paper. Some laws probably create more criminals than they eliminate. A plastic gun makes the same bulge as metal one so there are means of detecting them. I would imagine there are also plenty of ways of detecting one of these plastic guns and, as technology improves, there will be plenty more. If you're old enough, you'll even remember who it was that invented radar detectors for automobiles. Hint....it was the manufacturers of the radar guns used by police.

Collapse -
Laws do NOT prevent crime!
by Teako / May 7, 2013 12:49 PM PDT

Laws only provide a means to punish those who break the law. By your logic, if any law is broken, we should repeal the law because it wasn't preventing any crime. Fundamentally there would be no laws at all. Anarchy would be the only "law" of the land. Probably not a workable "solution" in my humble opinion. I'm pretty sure you know that just as well as I do.

Collapse -
Oh good grief. Stop making stuff up
by Steven Haninger / May 7, 2013 7:09 PM PDT

Unless I'm a complete fool, I was under the impression that law, and the punishment that goes with it, was meant as a deterrent to crime. Such only works if the law has teeth and even then there will be a few who aren't afraid of being bitten. Law won't work without enforcement but neither will it work if it's aimed at the wrong target. To many criminals guns are their tools of the trade and there's no defense against them by anyone without an equivalent or better tool.

Collapse -
I'm not making anything up.
by Teako / May 8, 2013 12:36 AM PDT

Laws only specify what is illegal and what the punishment can be. The primary deterent is the punishment. If the level of punishment is not enough to deter a person from committing the criome, they will ignore and break the law. Pretty simple. For example, ...

Comprehensive background checks would not have prevented the Sandyhook school shooting, therefore, we do not need a more comprehensivce background check law. Laws against speeeding do not prevent speeding, therefore we do not need speed limit laws.

Consider a terrorist who is willing to strap a bomb to themselves. What dterent works here. As far as I can determine, none. I guess laws against terrorism won't stop terroriasm, so we should get rid of them also.

At the end of the day, it is all about miimizing the problem a little bit here and a little bit there.

I agree that better and more comprehensive enforce of the laws we already have will help. That's why applying more resources to a more comprehensive background check law will minimize the number of disqualified people such as the mentally ill, convicts, people with PTSD (ex-military), wife beaters, etc. would be a good thing to do ... uness you are an NRA member.

Collapse -
I'm not sure how many are undetectable
by Roger NC / May 8, 2013 9:05 AM PDT

but I have read that one bullet will not set off the alarms, not a copper one anyway.

If I can find some information soon I'll repost, but extra hours and days at work are cutting into my idle time drastically.

Collapse -
Reply to JD
by elweber / May 8, 2013 3:02 AM PDT
In reply to: not concerned

Don't need lathes, welders, etc.; they speed up the process but are not necessary. Any one with knowledge, minimal skills, lots of patience, some scrap metal, and a few HAND tools can produce a working firearm.

Collapse -
replica revolver guns
by James Denison / May 8, 2013 3:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Reply to JD

for bigger bores can have home made barrel and chamber inserts to strengthen and fit for smaller caliber use, drill out the hammer block and put a new hammer on it machined to hit the primer spot and have a perfectly working handgun.

Collapse -
Guns in the hands of who?
by KeithRich / May 7, 2013 9:31 AM PDT

Since the majority of mass shootings have been committed by individuals who either identify with the Democratic party or share their beliefs, my only concern with 3d guns would be if they were in the hands of Democrats. In fact, I would support legislation that outlaws Democrats from ever owning guns.

Collapse -
(NT) Oh please
by Josh K / May 7, 2013 9:35 AM PDT
Collapse -
by Teako / May 7, 2013 10:21 AM PDT

I can't wait for your credible evidence.

Collapse -
Who needs credible evidence?
by mholdcraft / May 7, 2013 11:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Balony!

Certainly not the Gun control freaks. All they need is an excuse and they try to disarm us all. They forget or ignore the Constitution - that makes them all traitors!

Collapse -
I do.
by Teako / May 7, 2013 12:53 PM PDT

I am an engineer/scientist. I live by the scientific method. That means evidence I would really like to see your evidence where the federal government has taken away your guns and not returned them without justification. Because without any evidence you are just making it up and puts you very close to a conspiracy nut case.

Collapse -
Isn't it odd
by James Denison / May 7, 2013 1:30 PM PDT

How they can read the first amendment and understand it doesn't allow for all the controls they then believe should be there by the time they get to the second amendment? They can barely get past one amendment before their power of reasoning fails them.

Collapse -
by theccur / May 8, 2013 2:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Balony!

If you follow the majority of mass murderer stories, at some point it is mentioned that they were Democrats, AND, recently, Obama supporters. Ain't the internet wonderful.

Collapse -
You'll need to show your hand here in SE
by Steven Haninger / May 8, 2013 2:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Democrats

by manner of some evidence as to your claim. Other than a disdain for government as a whole, I don't believe I've seen a thing indicating party loyalty having anything to do with mass murders. You're going to need links with quotes from the perpetrators...be they alive or dead.

Collapse -
Toooooooooooooo Expensive !
by jonamor / May 7, 2013 9:31 AM PDT

Printer would cost too much to be a general problem.

Collapse -
by Teako / May 7, 2013 10:22 AM PDT

If you are the one shot by one, what is your life worth?

Collapse -
If in the head with a .22
by James Denison / May 7, 2013 1:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Really?
Collapse -
Even less ,,,
by Teako / May 8, 2013 12:39 AM PDT

with a much lower caliber handgun.

Collapse -
(NT) how much lower than a .22 are you going? a BB?
by Roger NC / May 8, 2013 9:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Even less ,,,
Collapse -
well there is the .117
by itsdigger / May 8, 2013 9:20 AM PDT

it's pretty small but it is out there

Collapse -
(NT) excuse me .177 caliber
by itsdigger / May 8, 2013 9:23 AM PDT
In reply to: well there is the .117
Collapse -
I'm not concerned at all
by dvroman / May 7, 2013 9:40 AM PDT

The capability of doing this has been around for more than 20 years. Yes it was very expensive back then and the cost has been coming down the whole time. That wouldn't stop anyone who is determined.
When they were expensive, what was stopping a determined person from creating one using the company machine. In aerospace, where I worked at the time, things were walking out of the shop all the time.
It hasn't changed much except that aerospace went south.

Collapse -
(NT) not for an organization rather than an individual
by Roger NC / May 7, 2013 9:41 AM PDT
Collapse -
So any of the usual?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 7, 2013 9:46 AM PDT

Collapse -
Wow a Bond Fan with a Plastic Gun
by mholdcraft / May 7, 2013 11:46 AM PDT
In reply to: So any of the usual?

My name, James, James Bond.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.