I was a programmer for just under 35 years and I retired about 16 or 17 years ago. I began with mainframes and later worked on Apple II+ and Radio Shack Model 2 computers and then I got into both the Data General minis and MS-Dos. I've freelanced, worked for local governments, insurance companies and financial institutions.
Most of my work was low-level, doing systems programming about 80% of the time and applications the other 20%.
I began with assembly and COBOL and later got into C. I also did some work in BASIC, Forth, and a small amount in Pascal and Fortran. I never did much GUI programming or OOP programming so these days I'm pretty much out of date.
I had a chance early on to get into embedded programming and I shied away from it, foolishly thinking that wasn't real programming. Oh how I wish I'd been a little smarter.
How computer savvy are you?
-- I write my own programs.
-- I built and configured my desktop.
-- I'm comfortable editing my Registry.
-- I upgrade my hardware and install software.
-- I upgrade programs and maintain my hard drive.
-- In my world, the words "computer" and "savvy" don't mix.
-- Computer? Is that what I'm using?
Here are a few questions to start the discussion off:
If you're pretty computer savvy, how did you get to your level of expertise (books, Web sites, school, etc.)?
What kind of sound advice would you give computer newbies who are just getting their feet wet in the computer world?
If you're a newbie, what is your greatest fear about the computer?
In this discussion if you are savvy, it's OK to brag about it
Have fun with this discussion everyone!