Phones

General discussion

How can you swap out your existing cdma phone for a new one?

by snorris6 / December 28, 2006 1:52 AM PST

I am a current VZW customer. I would like to upgrade to a new phone without signing a new contract. Having read several articles on this forum I have learned that CDMA phones do not have a sim card. Is there any way to do this since I am not going to change service providers just phones?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How can you swap out your existing cdma phone for a new one?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How can you swap out your existing cdma phone for a new one?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I was on Cingular.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 28, 2006 2:49 AM PST

There are not accepting any CDMA subscribers and only will let you keep your old CDMA phone if it's working. They hold all the cards on this play.

Bob

Collapse -
Buy a new phone, pay full price
by wirelesswendy / December 28, 2006 7:12 AM PST
In reply to: I was on Cingular.

I think it should be possible if you buy a new phone at retail cost. When you ask for an "upgrade" you're generally asking for a discount, which comes with a contract extension. I imagine it should be possible to get a new phone and ask them to transfer the account to the new phone (otherwise what would you do if your phone broke or got lost?) w/o signing another 2-yr agreement.

Collapse -
Here...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 28, 2006 7:27 AM PST

They won't activate any more CDMA phones. Not an option for this provider even if you bring your phone. In your case, just ask them.

Bob

Collapse -
Network operator must change to new CDMA phone
by Bill Wall / December 31, 2006 10:54 PM PST

Your cell phone network operator must change the data they have on your old CDMA phone, to the data for the new CDMA phone. CDMA has the huge advantage that you can communicate with very low signal levels, but, when you change phones, it is very inconvenient. I am now using GSM phones (which require a very strong signal!), so I sent one of our old CDMA phones to my mother in law last week.

Collapse -
"must"? Tell it to the man.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 31, 2006 10:57 PM PST

Cingular won't. End of story.

Collapse -
Yes, if you want to pay the $$$
by bleone9 / January 3, 2007 10:02 PM PST

As I have seveal times, If you plan on staying with our flaming frinds a vzw, you can get any Verizon phone you want; not other CDMA's outside of vzw, but like the other Gentleman said, you will have to pay full retail unless you qualify for the "new every 2".
Then you simply do an ECN Change, which you can do yourself on line, keeping your existing # and all.
I've spent tooooo much money in the past doing the same thing.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.