Samsung forum

Question

How can U get Samsung to update STB data

by DocPEC / November 11, 2012 12:16 AM PST

I have a Samsung UN60ES7150 TV and my cable box is an Arris MP2000NA. (WOW cable provider) How do I get Samsung to update their STB database to see this device??? This is a software issue and I'm sure I'm not the only person that has this problem.. Please advise. Thank you in advance.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How can U get Samsung to update STB data
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How can U get Samsung to update STB data
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
With your vote at the retail level.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 11, 2012 12:36 AM PST

I'm serious. If a maker loses sales over this and you are buying another brand and they notice, then it gets fixed. This can upset folk but this is the only way I've seen companies get motivated.
Bob

Collapse -
BTW. When folk need a remote with codes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 12, 2012 1:31 AM PST

I've found them getting those Logitech Harmony remotes if they want to reduce the clutter. Some STB makers offer a way to enter codes for other devices. But even there I find they only support the basics such as on/off, etc.

You won't find support for a button to change speaker selections for example.

Logitech Harmony wins this round.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Re: How can U get Samsung to update STB data
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 12, 2012 1:27 AM PST

Hi DocPEC,

I read your previous thread and responded to this: it isn't possible for us to update your remote. If you want an explanation as to why, here goes.

The way our universal remotes and most others work is that there is a circuit board inside of your remote. This circuit board contains the appropriate IR pulses to send to a given model. If you look over your remote, you'll note there's no port to put new information into it. As there is no port to connect to, there's no way to get information onto your remote. As there's no way to put information on your remote, we cannot push out a firmware update for your remote to work with a wider array. Therefore, it's physically impossible for us to update your remote.

I hope this helps in your understanding of the problem, and I hope you'll understand that I'm sincerely sorry that we can't fix this for you.

Regards,
HD Tech

Collapse -
How can U get Samsung to update STB data.
by DocPEC / November 12, 2012 7:00 AM PST

Thanks for the info. I notice that there are 2 codes in your setup database for the other WOW Arris STB's. Could they not add one for this Arris STB??

Collapse -
Re: update STB data
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 12, 2012 10:38 PM PST

Hi DocPec,

You can try whatever codes exist already on your remote, even for other brands. Feel free to experiment with those codes; you won't break it, and sometimes I've seen them work. But we at Samsung can't do fix it from our end.

HD Tech

Collapse -
Update STB data
by DocPEC / November 13, 2012 9:27 PM PST
In reply to: Re: update STB data

Thanks for you help. This is only a minor problem but if I can figure out a fix I will let you know.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.