Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

How can two routers work fine in one network?

by kwai / April 25, 2006 12:04 PM PDT

We have a SonicWall TZ-170 firewall router with 25 nodes and two switch linked together. We have only 23 PCs which need to access to internet so it works fine to us so far. Starting from next week, we?ll have 5 temporary staffs and all of them need to access internet. That means it?ll exceed the limit of our TZ-170. I take my personal D-Link Di-624 broadband router from home and want to use it in the office for two weeks. Now, I have the problem in how to configure the network with those 5 temporary staffs to use the D-Link Di-624 router as internet gateway. They need to share our network resource, like network printers and share files so we must in the same network. We have spare public IP address so public IP is not the problem. Does anyone can help in this matter?

Thanks in advance
Kwai

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How can two routers work fine in one network?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How can two routers work fine in one network?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
you have 25 node and 2 switches
by Gakada / April 25, 2006 4:48 PM PDT

you said:
''We have a SonicWall TZ-170 firewall router with 25 nodes and two switch linked together. We have only 23 PCs....''

My question then.. how many node/port does the switch have??

logically: with 25 ports/nodes router + 2 switches, you don't need any additional router/device to add 5 PCs.

BTW, if you want to use your Dlink router, you just need connect to your SonicWall TZ-170, and disable the (dlink) DHCP and configure your IP.

Collapse -
Two routers in one network
by kwai / April 25, 2006 9:25 PM PDT

Hi Gakada,

The SonicWall TZ-170 with 25nodes that means it?ll block the 26th connection to internet and keeps only 25 internal private IPs pass through it to the internet. So I need to get one more router.
If I connect the D-Link to the SonicWall, then the PCs behind the D-Link will be in another network.

Kwai

Collapse -
Hmm, I don't know about such ''node'' things
by Gakada / April 25, 2006 10:15 PM PDT

but I have 40+ pcs on single network using only a router (dhcp enabled) and a switches.. and I possibly just adding more switche if I have more pcs.

Just a thought,
How about Connecting your dlink, on one of the node, then connect your switches to the dlink ...

Your Sonicwall, will only detect ONE (dlink) connection..

If that still not applicable to your configuration, I would wait for other to answer.. sorry for that..

Collapse -
How can two routers work fine in one network?
by kwai / April 26, 2006 12:13 AM PDT

Hi Gakada,

It's because your router is unrestricted one. The SonicWall TZ-170 can be upgraded to unrestricted nodes but the price will be different and we just have more users for only few weeks. My boss won?t agree to upgrade it in this purpose. I also have considered to put all the PCs link to the D-Link and then the SonicWall, like what you suggested but I'm not sure the D-Link DI-624 is stable to handle 28 connections at 10M symmetric broadband connections. I just wonder if there's a solution that can put two routers in one network? If yes, I can learn more.

Anyway thanks for your idea.
Kwai

Collapse -
Just another thought..
by Gakada / April 26, 2006 2:17 AM PDT

you said that you are going to connect the sonic to the dlink...

how about sonic then dlink.. so dlink only handle 4 pcs (configured this 4 pc to use automatically assign IP by dlink dhcp, or you can configured it manually too), while the sonic will only detect 1 (dlink) connection..

the other 1 new pc connect to the switch..

But again.. I really don't know.. it probably just another of my empty thought..

Collapse -
Just another thought..
by kwai / April 26, 2006 11:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Just another thought..

If I can?t find the solution to put two routers in the same network, then all the PCs will connect to the switches > D-Link > SonicWall > Internet. Since I have set many rules in the SonicWall so I need to keep it in our network. The D-Link with no restriction so all the PCs can pass through it and the SonicWall just counts the D-Link as one node so it should work. The D-Link DI624 just cost me HKD365.- so I?m not sure it can handle the traffic probably in our office. I?ll wait to see if another good suggestion until Saturday.

Have a nice day

Collapse -
Proper config is like this
by pratapan / April 26, 2006 2:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Just another thought..

(Internet)----[Sonic Wall]
|
[ Switch ]----24 users
|
[Dlink Router]
|
More users

In this config DLINK needs to have the WAN port connect to the sonicwall as a DHCP client. It will act as the 25th user in your network. It defaults to using NAT so all users behind the DLINK will look like a single user to the Sonicwall. LAN side can be default settings as long as the LAN and WAN are not both on the same network.

SKrall

Collapse -
Proper config is like this
by kwai / April 26, 2006 7:59 PM PDT

Thanks SKrall,

But the users behind the D-Link can't share the network resource with those behind the SonicWall, network printers, file sharing.

Collapse -
Hmm, it should work, because
by Gakada / April 27, 2006 5:52 AM PDT

the PCs behind the Dlink, will also be on your network (and within the same IP range), But your Sonicwall will only see the Dlink...

you just have to give the access for the Dlink on the Sonicwall...

So, any request from all PCs behind Dlink, will only be seen by Sonicwall as coming from Dlink.

But then again, I really don't know anything about sonicwall configuration ... all my comment are only based on my limited logic.. please forgive me...

Collapse -
Hmm, it should work, because
by kwai / April 27, 2006 11:39 AM PDT

Hey Gakada, why you say that? Any idea is welcomed.

Yes, it should work but just what I concern is the stability of the D-Link DI-624 to handle all the traffic as they are in different grading. We have a lot of graphic files sending & receiving between our offices so it needs to handle large bandwidth.

Anyway, if no other solution, I just do like that for around three weeks. Then we?ll know.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.