Windows Vista forum

Question

How can the recycle bin be reinstalled/reactivated?

by halwho / June 7, 2013 11:55 PM PDT

My somewhat experienced friend just told me she accidentally deleted the recycle bin. I haven't had a chance to look at the system yet, but is that possible? If so, how can she bring it back to life?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How can the recycle bin be reinstalled/reactivated?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How can the recycle bin be reinstalled/reactivated?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: reactivate recycle bin
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 8, 2013 12:09 AM PDT

It's just a folder, and I assume it can be deleted. But normally, it's hidden and makes it somewhat difficult to delete, unless you have it unhidden yourself. Some people do.

But Windows should create a new recycle bin if it finds there isn't one if you delete a file that should be put in there.

Kees

Collapse -
activate recycle bin
by halwho / June 8, 2013 12:20 AM PDT

That occurred to me too after I posted the question. I sent her an email suggesting that. Clearly, if we both thought of it, it's got a good chance of being right. Thanks!! By the way, she said she was deleting unneeded icons from the desktop and thought she deleted the recycle bin by mistake. She wasn't browsing files, I think. If this gets clarified, I'll put the added details here.

Collapse -
Re: recycle bin
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 8, 2013 6:34 AM PDT
In reply to: activate recycle bin
Collapse -
recycle bin
by halwho / June 8, 2013 9:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: recycle bin

That's interesting. I've never used Vista, but used many levels before and after, currently Windows 7. On Win 7, a right click on the recycle bin doesn't even offer a "delete" option.

My friend hasn't replied yet to my/your suggestion about deleting a random file to see if the recycle bin icon reappears. I'll call her on (gasp) a land line if she doesn't reply in a while.

Collapse -
Just tried it, albeit on another Windows.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 9, 2013 3:21 AM PDT
In reply to: recycle bin

I can click once to select the trash icon and then tap the delete key to get a dialog asking if I want to do that and it was gone.

The recycle bin is still working but the icon on the desktop is now gone. Confusing?
Bob

Collapse -
recycle bin
by halwho / June 9, 2013 6:25 AM PDT

Interesting the icon is gone, but it seems clear to me that recycle function still works. It is, after all, a safety net that we should always have. Thanks for the info. What windows is it?

Collapse -
XP.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 9, 2013 7:05 AM PDT

Sorry but it shouldn't matter. The example is that it is very easy to remove it on some machines. Getting it back may involve sometime common to the Windows experience. That is, find the control that turns it off/on and then turn it off if on then OK, then again to turn from off to on, then OK.

A dolphin seems to enjoy such hoops and the fish.
Bob

Collapse -
recycle bin
by halwho / June 9, 2013 6:44 AM PDT

Just talked to friend, she tried a delete, system told her it was sent to recycle bin. Still no recycle bin icon on desktop! I sent her the link to show her how to bring it back.

Gotta admit, this is kinda fun, thanks all.

Collapse -
why not just
by itsdigger / June 9, 2013 6:54 AM PDT

do a system restore to an earlier date before your friend deleted the recycle bin?

Collapse -
If all else fails, just bring up Windows Explorer
by wpgwpg / June 9, 2013 6:59 AM PDT

If you bring up Windows Explorer, you'll see the Recycle Bin there. Then you can examine its contents regardless of whether you have an icon on the desktop. Note that you might have to allow it to show hidden & system files - I always have that set so I never have to bother with it.

Collapse -
recycle bin
by halwho / June 9, 2013 11:13 PM PDT

Thanks to all of you for the interest and help.

My friend is a casual user of windows, using it for email and shopping, browsing this and that, etc. She probably would not want to bother with system restore or the concept of hidden files, good stuff that that was.

She followed the link that Kees sent, and said it all went just fine. Kudos, all, and especially Kees, for easing her pain after seeming to throw away a safety net. You all probably remember how that felt when you were novice users messing something up. She thanks me for it, but clearly the thanks belong to all of you for following the forum and contributing. Great stuff to know about.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.