Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

How can I wipe this computer?

by Jjaass1440 / February 22, 2013 11:47 PM PST

My parents just bought a new computer and they are letting me have their old one. I've been searching everywhere to find a way to wipe it. It's a cooler master 330 and is running xp. I just downloaded xp os to a computer and will be putting it on a disk.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How can I wipe this computer?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How can I wipe this computer?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: wipe
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 23, 2013 3:02 AM PST

Installing XP correctly is not the easiest task imaginable.

But there is no need to wipe the disk before you start. The XP installer will let you format the partition you want to install it on, and that's exactly what you need. But I don't understand why you just don't start using it as it is. That saves you a lot of work.

Kees

Collapse -
Wiping
by Jjaass1440 / February 23, 2013 3:10 AM PST
In reply to: Re: wipe

It was a family computer, so their is a bunch of crud on it. So if I put the disk in it will wipe everything?

Collapse -
Re: wipe
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 23, 2013 3:52 AM PST
In reply to: Wiping

Wiping means you lose all non-crud things also. That's not only the necessary drivers (that you'll have to find and re-install), but also software you want to use (for example, antivirus, MS Office etc). You can only reinstall those if you have both the original setup-program or disk and the license key.
As I said, it's a lot of work.

Kees

Collapse -
Wiping
by Jjaass1440 / February 23, 2013 4:24 PM PST
In reply to: Re: wipe

I have both and I truly don't want anything that's on there. It will be easier for me to restart from the bottom, than getting rid of things one by one. If I knew how to take it to factory settings that would be great. I have found a reset but its a save point from 2 months ago and that gets me no where.

Collapse -
. If I knew how to take it to factory settings that would be
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 24, 2013 12:31 AM PST
In reply to: Wiping

There is no make/model computer with "Cooler Master" as a maker. That's a case or power supply maker.

What you have a clone made of many makes and models and why there is no install procedure. The seller probably either built it or bought it and you are now the proud owner of a clone.

If you want to start over, go right ahead but you have been warned of the difficult road ahead.

You bring up a good question. Are the days of Windows coming to a close as folk find out how hard and ugly a Windows XP install can be? That is, is it too much to ask today that the owner of a PC know all that the PC is, the make, and how to find drivers and what order to install them in?

I find most folk are not ready for a Windows XP install. Some of them rant or slam others for not knowing how to install XP on their custom PC.
Bob

Collapse -
Ohhh
by Jjaass1440 / February 24, 2013 4:32 AM PST

You're killing me smalls, my grandfather put the computer together. I wish this would be as easy as my laptops with the "alt-f10". There is the xp system recovery but like I said it goes only as far as two months ago.

Collapse -
Re: alt-f10
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 24, 2013 4:40 AM PST
In reply to: Ohhh

That's not standard Windows. That's something the big laptop makers build into their machines to lower the pressure on their helpdesk. Now, with any software problem they can't immediately solve they tell you to press alt-f10 and everything will be fine again.

Time to visit your grandparent (if he still lives).

By the way, that software that goes back 2 months is called 'system restore' not 'system recovery'. That's standard Windows XP (and higher). Only Windows 8 has more.

Kees

Collapse -
Ok
by Jjaass1440 / February 24, 2013 6:52 AM PST
In reply to: Re: alt-f10

Honestly, all you've done is given me some good information on what stuff means. Thankyou for your time I'll try and figure it out.

Collapse -
We can discuss GUIDES to installing XP from the XP CD.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 24, 2013 8:06 AM PST
In reply to: Ok

It's really rough without the make/model of every part in the PC. And to make matters worse, some folk don't know what's inside!

If you can get all the parts then the drivers I look for and install in order strongly follow the order you see at the following link.
Bob

-> http://forums.cnet.com/7726-7587_102-2699006.html

Collapse -
Answer
Best way is restore to factory settings
by wpgwpg / February 23, 2013 3:43 AM PST

What Kees suggested will work, but if you do that, you'll need to reinstall all the drivers and any software that came with the computer. Most computers have the option to restore to factory settings. This is a better solution since it takes care of drivers and restores any of the original software that came pre-loaded on it.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Answer
I just downloaded xp os to a computer
by RCF_Rose / February 24, 2013 1:27 AM PST

An OS isn't usually acquired by downloading it over the internet. At least not a legit one. That may also prove to be a problem. Did your parent's old PC come with a restore disk? Or is there a Partition D on the HDD? The ability to restore to factory settings is usually put on the D Partition.

Google "restoring PC to factory settings Windows XP" Here is one hit

http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/restore-to-factory-settings-windows-xp-vista/

Rose

Collapse -
Partition d
by Jjaass1440 / February 24, 2013 4:34 AM PST

What should I look for when I delve inside?

Collapse -
Read the link I posted
by RCF_Rose / February 24, 2013 6:51 AM PST
In reply to: Partition d

Or do a Google search. It's best you read all the info provided, you learn so much more that way..

Basically to restore you PC to Factory Settings: press the F10 key multiple times during bootup to get access to the recovery console.

However, since your grandfather built the PC and installed the OS, there is no guarantee the restore partition is even on the HDD. Try it and see.

Rose

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.