Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

How Can I Watch TV on My Laptop?

by milliondollarbbw / September 27, 2005 10:48 AM PDT

I am getting a used laptop with these specs....would it be possible to watch tv on it?

pentium 3
700 mhz
12 gb
56k modem
usb port
windows 98se

i will also be on a dial up primarily
thanks in advance!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How Can I Watch TV on My Laptop?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How Can I Watch TV on My Laptop?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
T.V CARD
by jc1234 / September 27, 2005 5:09 PM PDT

you can buy a t.v card from most computer stores and on the bo it tells you the spec needed, but they probably can be quite expensie to buy and put in.

Collapse -
Notebooks are difficult to upgrade
by glb613 / September 27, 2005 7:26 PM PDT

You'd need a TV tuner card or a video card with a TV tuner. Do they make these for notebooks? Do a Google search.

Collapse -
PC card
by leobh / October 1, 2005 9:57 PM PDT

If you've got any PC (formerly PCMCIA) card slots, you can buy TV cards that you just stick into one of them. Check the Wikipedia entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCMCIA . Don't know about specific brands but I know that you can get them.

Collapse -
USB tuner. . .
by Coryphaeus / September 27, 2005 10:00 PM PDT
Collapse -
happauge usb tuner
by booklady / September 30, 2005 11:16 PM PDT
In reply to: USB tuner. . .

I found a usb tuner on hauppauge's site. The wintv-pvr-usb2 looks like its exaclty what I want. Forgive me for my ignorance but I don't know which to buy- the ntsc version or the pal version. I want to record from my dish pvr and burn dvds on my toshiba laptop. Thanks for the help!

Collapse -
To Wayne
by Jane in KC / October 1, 2005 1:06 AM PDT
In reply to: USB tuner. . .

I LOVE your tag line! Thanks for the chuckle.

Collapse -
TV on a Laptop?
by tmgolden1 / September 28, 2005 8:52 PM PDT

I am assuming you don?t have cable in your house, and want to watch TV over the Internet.

I have a nice, new, powerful Laptop with broadband connection. Even with that, my question is: ?What can you watch over the internet??

Even if you are able to connect to the Internet, you will have endless problems with streaming media over a dialup connection, which I have problems with over a broadband cable modem connection. Something else to consider is how much video ram the computer has, should be at least 32MB.

There?s a whole lot of movie clips and previews out there, but you will have a hard time finding things like regular TV shows like ?the Simpson?s?, or any of the ?decline of the western mind? ?reality? shows that fill the air waves.

I have looked at the adds for a ?USB TV tuner?, they all promise hundreds of movies and thousands of channels, but never tell you what they are, it appears that most, if not all of them are for plugging in your cable connection into your computer instead of a TV. I looked at software online that promised the same thing, but they were just selling ?peer to peer? software identical to Napster or Bearshare.

Fortunately if you are like myself and miss the news; CNN and CBS have free streaming news (CBS even has stuff from 48 hours and 60 minutes).

http://www.cnn.com/video/
http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/i_video/main500251.shtml

And you can catch clips from the best news show on TV at: http://www.comedycentral.com/shows/the_daily_show/index.jhtml

NPR has good streaming audio (if your connection is weak, this will work better)
http://www.npr.org/
All things considered, Talk of the nation, Car Talk, Morning edition, etc?

?Starz? Network offers a paid subscription (through ?real networks? www.real.com) to live streaming movies, and download movies files for 3 or 4 viewings. They are the only network I know of that have this, I suspect it will not be much longer before more companies are doing the same. ?Starz? charges about $12 a month for the subscription, the streaming shows work ok, but have not had any luck so far with downloading movies.

Collapse -
Just a short entry. . .
by Coryphaeus / September 28, 2005 10:59 PM PDT
In reply to: TV on a Laptop?

A USB tuner is a device that will accept a TV/cable/satellite coax (some, like mine have S-video input also) input into the device. The device then plugs into the computer via the USB port. The device has a cable/off-air tuner viewable on the computer screen. You tune it exactly like a TV. Included software will let you view exactly like a TV, and save the images like a recorder and burn to a DVD disk.

A few months ago I connected my Dish Network reciever S-video output to it and recorded "I, Robot". Then I burned it to a DVD disk.

Collapse -
the best news
by broozer / September 30, 2005 3:01 PM PDT
In reply to: TV on a Laptop?

The best news channel I have seen so far is at www.nakednews.com .Has a lot of your regular news headlines, sport and entertainment news plus it's relly easy on the eyes after a long day of typing.

You really ned a boadband connection though. Itried watching it over dial up years ago and it was unwatchable. Cable is Cool!!!

Collapse -
Use a Tv Tuner Card
by tjchong / September 30, 2005 10:42 PM PDT

Nowadays u can buy a TV tuner card and add on to the computer. Some of the tv tuner card can allow u to record in various format such as AVI or MPEG4 format

Collapse -
tv on laptop
by blackjenna / October 5, 2005 8:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Use a Tv Tuner Card

is there any way to watch tv on a laptop outside the home the way one would with a portable handheld tv?

Collapse -
How can i watch tv my compter
by gollirah boy / September 19, 2007 7:10 PM PDT
In reply to: tv on laptop

which is the most easy way to watch TV on a computer?

Collapse -
(NT) Suggestions Already Given Above.. Please Read Them...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 20, 2007 8:02 AM PDT
Collapse -
I love my tv on my laptop
by Nicknetter / September 26, 2008 8:24 PM PDT

I was having the some problem as you. I go away alot and wanted to be able to watch tv on my laptop when I was bord in hotel room. I had no idea how or what you needed to do it.

Then I came across this company that offer's you 12000 channels from all round the world for a one off payment of about $40. I downloaded it and amazingly it worked. There are other companies that do this but most have less channels and more expensive.

link is :- http://paydotcom.com/r/54946/Natalie9632/20749229/

let me know if you feel the same

Collapse -
Yes you can...
by watchtvonlaptop / December 4, 2008 12:08 PM PST

With those requirements you will be able to watch tv. Aslong as the processor is greater than 333 MHz. You may want to make sure that there is a video and sound card though. For more information you can visit http://www.squidoo.com/watch-tv-on-laptop where they have an interesting article you may like to read.

Good Luck

Collapse -
I have the same laptop
by magicman24 / December 7, 2008 7:52 PM PST

Hi....

My name is Mike and i have the same computer as you have, and I just wanted to tell you BEWARE, lots of programs do not work, i have spent 283$ on nothing, and after this my friend told me that he watch satellite tv using this software:

http://www.vipdeals.info/products/STV

Now i use it too with the same computer as you have, and I just love it, i can add my own channels, i see pay per view channels, and it's really great.

Hope this helps you.

Mike

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.