TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

How can I use my Bose headphones with TV? Wireless Receiver?

by callenm / March 29, 2010 9:55 AM PDT

Hi all,

I've been searching for a while, but can't seem to find any answers to this question.

Basically, I have some really nice Bose headphones that I'd like to use in our bedroom to listen to the TV when my wife falls asleep before me.

Is there any sort of wireless adapter that I can connect to the TV and then connect my Headphones to by the bedside?

I've seen several wireless headsets out there, but I don't need new headphones... I just need a way to connect my current headphones to the TV without having to purchase a long headphone extension, etc.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How can I use my Bose headphones with TV? Wireless Receiver?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How can I use my Bose headphones with TV? Wireless Receiver?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You didn't tell us anything about your tv.
by ahtoi / March 29, 2010 1:14 PM PDT

It might help us a little bit to help you.

Collapse -
TV type is...
by callenm / March 29, 2010 1:30 PM PDT

Good point... Happy

It's a Toshiba Regza. I can't remember the model #. I've had it for about 1.5 - 2 years. It's got plenty of inputs/outputs, though I don't think it has a USB.

Basically, I'm looking for something that I can connect to the TV that transmits a wireless signal to an adapter/receiver by my bedside, where I would plug-in my headphones.

Collapse -
Have you seen this page?
by ahtoi / March 29, 2010 5:57 PM PDT
In reply to: TV type is...
Collapse -
Line Level Only?
by WildClay / March 30, 2010 6:15 AM PDT

That looks like it only works with line levels which likely will not work out well for headphones, he would also have to ensure his line out from the TV was not "fixed".

I suspect you might be right, getting a dedicated full wireless headphone set-up looks a lot easier to find and are designed for the job.

Collapse -
any other ideas?
by callenm / March 30, 2010 6:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Line Level Only?

Thanks for the ideas... would you happen to have any others?

This is the TV that I have in my bedroom: Toshiba regza 37hl67

Collapse -
Looked at your manual...
by WildClay / March 30, 2010 8:17 AM PDT
In reply to: any other ideas?

I just looked at your manual and the only output your TV has for this is a "fixed" line out L/R audio on the back, no headphone jack. By fixed, it means the level does not change when you change the volume on the TV, it stays at the proper level for the input to an amp.

What you are looking for may exist but you will need 3 things besides your headphones:
1. Wireless Sender for behind TV, hook to Audio L/R Out.
2. Wireless Receiver to get the signal. (Check out I think they are unloading some pairs for 10 bucks a pop right now.

If you got the X10 or any type of wireless box of the same type, you still need one last part.

3. Inexpensive amp/reciever that has an RCA L/R Audio input (almost all do) and of course a headphone jack.

So your TV will send the audio to the sender, the sender will transmit it wirelessly to its mate, from there it will go from the L/R Out on the wireless audio reciever to the Audio L/R In of your small amp/receiver, where you plug in the headphones as well as control the volume. A cheap one with at least one stereo audio input you can likly find for under 25 bucks somewhere.

Without shipping and tax, and if you snag the 10 buck x10 deal, then you are looking at well under 50 bucks to put this together. It sounds more complex than it really is, just think of it as moving the TV next to the bed, adding an amp, and plugging in, the only difference is no need to move the TV, the wireless units will get the signal to you.

Again, I have not checked prices on wireless headphones but you may be in the same ballpark, but not with your Bose.

This will work, I use one of the X10 sender/receiver rigs to shoot my DVR signal to another room, in my case I needed video also, you just need the audio, and for me it works great.

Collapse -
by callenm / March 30, 2010 8:37 AM PDT

Thanks for the detailed explanation. That sounds like it will work well.

Do you happen to have a link for a place I could get "Wireless Sender for behind TV, hook to Audio L/R Out." ?? Happy

And an amp/receiver that has an RCA L/R audio input?

ps on a side note, you said you're using something similar to transmit your dvr signal to another tv?? Seriously? That's awesome. I've been wanting to transmit my directv dvr signal to my small kitchen tv, but I don't know how. If you know how to do that too and have the parts for it, could you send me an email or post it here? callenm (AT)

Collapse -
Where you can find the Sender/Receiver Pair
by WildClay / March 30, 2010 12:34 PM PDT
In reply to: Awesome!
Collapse -
Use your mobile and a bluetooth sender?
by perambulate / April 9, 2015 1:58 AM PDT

Couldn't you plug a Bluetooth sender into your TV, pair your phone to it and listen through phone headset?

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.