Phones forum

General discussion

How can I upgrade phones without upgrading plan?

by pje / June 2, 2004 10:36 AM PDT

I currently have a Cingular's family plan with a total of 4 phones, some of which need replacing. I was told by my Cingular dealer that I cannot upgrade any phones without changing/upgrading plans.

I would probably save some money by changing to a family plan with no roaming charges and no long distance charges. However, I do not want to be on the GSM network. Everything I have read here suggests that it is not up to par yet.

I've never had any problems with dropped calls, reception, etc. I'm not "cell phone literate" so I would appreciate any assistance. Thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How can I upgrade phones without upgrading plan?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How can I upgrade phones without upgrading plan?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:How can I upgrade phones without upgrading plan?
by electRONix / June 5, 2004 5:36 PM PDT

Although GSM might have its flaws, most of the "cooler" new phones for cingular/at&t/tmobile are GSM... in addition, they also have SIM cards which allows consumers to upgrade phones without much trouble (for example buy a phone on ebay and then just swap out your SIM card)...

If GSM doesn't sound right still - check again with another cingular dealer about upgrading phones.. I'm with at&t and not only do they allow me to upgrade - they give me discounts on the new phone. They allow me to do so every year. I have however, jumped onto the GSM rocketship so that might be the reason why I can upgrade. Sorry if I didn't give you any definite solution to your problem, good luck

Collapse -
by SMatthews / January 19, 2005 6:16 AM PST

You can buy the phone out right and they cannot extend your contract. I would try to do that, it may cost more in the begining but in the end, you will be saving and you will have a phone that will work.

Collapse -
Cell phone without plan
by keshiaf / April 24, 2005 10:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Phones

I recently lost my cell phone and because I didn't purchase the insurance I need to buy another. However, I do not want to spend a lot of money on a new one and I am not quite eligible to upgrade yet. Does anyone know where I can purchase a cingular phone without paying an arm and a leg for it? The cheaper the better (preferably free!!!). This is my only source of contact so I appreciate anyone's and/or everyone's willingness to aid me in my dilemma.

Yours truly,

Phoneless in Seattle (although I am really in TX, I just think it sounds nice)

Collapse -
You can
by Jerry562 / January 19, 2005 9:19 AM PST

upgrade phones w/o changing plans. They are not fused together. The way I understand Cingular.

Changing the number of phones, roaming and long distance is changing plans.

Collapse -
How can I upgrade phones without upgrading plan?
by Tenichi1 / January 21, 2005 12:41 PM PST

Try E-bay, or Amazon.. A lot of people sell their old phone, and as long it is the same carrier then you can use this with your carrier.. it works! Why don't you want GSM phone? GSM phone can be use overseas...

Once you buy another phone, all you have to do, is transfer (cingular) the sim card to the new phone. Online have a lot of phone, unlock and cheaper then the store!

Collapse -
by birdmantd Forum moderator / January 23, 2005 2:14 AM PST

If your not quite ready to commit to GSM phones, try either the Sony Ericsson T62U or the Nokia 6430I handsets. They are compatible w/ the older TDMA and the newer GSM networks. I don't know availablity in stores. This would allow you to keep your same calling plan as is. The only requirement to change your plan is if you want the Unlimited Mobile to Mobile calling feature which does require the GSM phone. With the new plans, you can still keep the Family Talk plans w/ up to 4 lines.

Collapse -
by birdmantd Forum moderator / April 24, 2005 12:38 PM PDT

Check your local store to see if any Sony Ericsson T62U or Nokia 6340I handsets are available. Those phones operate on both TDMA and GSM networks. I assume you are currently using TDMA. This would allow you to keep your current calling plan unchanged. Otherwise, try finding an unused TDMA handset elsewhere. Hope that helps.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.