Download.com Site Feedback forum

General discussion

How can I update my windows media player?

by geo99 / March 13, 2010 3:16 PM PST

I have Windows Vista now for 2 years but I can't find the link to update the windows media. Certain programs will not work on the media player now. So I thought I could just update it. But I can't find it....Sorry if this post came out twice. (Had problems online)
Thanks for any help

Geo

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How can I update my windows media player?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How can I update my windows media player?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tell us more.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 13, 2010 8:45 PM PST

Windows Media Player, (WMP), is just a media player, for playing files like video and audio. It doesn't use 'programs' and doesn't work with programs.

So can you tell us exactly what the problem is with your WMP?

Which version of WMP do you have currently? To find out, open WMP and in the menu bar find an empty space, right click, and in the new menu select Help > About Windows Media Player.

Have you tried any other media player, eg VLC Media Player?

Mark

Collapse -
:
by geo99 / March 14, 2010 3:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Tell us more.

Thanks for responding...

I went into my WMP and right clicked and then updates. But a window comes up saying, I have the latest version of WMP. The thing is that I can use my office computer which is XP and it can read any broadcast. But not with my Vista which as I say has the latest version.

I Use it for listening to a broadcast of the archives from the radio station for CKNW regarding market updates.

I will try the VLC as you mentioned. That might be my only option.
Thanks again

Collapse -
How do you do that?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 14, 2010 9:25 PM PDT
In reply to: :

Hi geo.

I went to the http://www.cknw.com/ web site, and found this link http://www.cknw.com/other/audiovault.html for audio archives. Is that the same link you are tying to use?

If so, this is what I find using my Vista and WMP version 11;
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1] In my IE8 (Internet Explorer 8), browser:

Nothing happens! Well, in fact, I get a very brief flash of another window opening, then that window disappears, then nothing happens.

My IE > Tools > Manage Add-ons, (then under "Add-on Types" select "Toolbars and extensions", then in the "Show:" pull down selector, show all add-ons), shows I have Windows Media Player enabled, but that doesn't work. Even if I disable that WMP add-on, the same 'nothing' happens.

That seems to me to be a fault of the web site.

2] I get better results using my Firefox browser.

In Firefox I go to the same audiovault page, then one of two things happen;

a) If my WMP Add-on in Tools > Add-ons > Plugins is enabled, then click the "Listen" button and the browser page changes to Windows Media Player, and the archives audio works OK.

b) If I disable the WMP plugin, (or add-on, whichever it is called), in Firefox > Add-ons, then click the "Listen" button, and a file gets downloaded. I save all my downloaded files to my Desktop as a temporary storage area. Your system may save downloads to your Downloaded folder.

When I click or double click that downloaded file on my Desktop, WMP opens and after a short while starts to stream the audio file.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, there are different possibilities here. IE doesn't work for me, (I suspect a web page fault), but Firefox does.

My WMP is version 11 on this Vista system but I don't know what version you have.

Mark

Collapse -
by geo99 / March 15, 2010 2:55 PM PDT
In reply to: How do you do that?

That was exactly it!!!

I downloaded Firefox and it is working, from the CKNW audiovault
Thanks again, I would not have ever thought of using a different browser.
Very much appreciated

(Some things with Vista I will never fiqure out)

Collapse -
Good. Glad you got it sorted.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 15, 2010 9:22 PM PDT
In reply to: .

It may be that this problem with IE8 is a temporary problem, and will be fixed by that web site soon.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.