How To forum

Resolved Question

How can I uninstall Mozilla Firefox?

by malahini / February 11, 2013 8:37 PM PST

Windows Vista 32 bit. I have tried to uninstall Mozilla but to no avail. When I click on uninstall in add/remove programs, the box pops up saying it is uninstalling, however it doesn't happen. I have looked all over everywhere to try and find a solution, but nothing. I have run virus checks, malware checks, etc., but everything comes up clear. I can't even find a way to contact Mozilla. I hope I have made this clear. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

malahini has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How can I uninstall Mozilla Firefox?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How can I uninstall Mozilla Firefox?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by malahini

Collapse -
How can I uninstall Mozilla Firefox?
by ellishgibbons / February 18, 2013 10:25 PM PST

1.At the top of the Firefox window, click on the File menu and then select Exit.
2.Click the Start Menu and select Control Panel. The Control Panel window will open.
3.In the Control Panel window, click on Add or Remove Programs. The Add or Remove Programs window will open.
4.From the list of currently installed programs, select Mozilla Firefox.
5.To begin the uninstall, click the Remove button to the right of Mozilla Firefox.
6.In the Mozilla Firefox Uninstall Wizard that opens, click Next.
7.Click Uninstall.
8.If Firefox is still open, you must close Firefox to proceed with the uninstall.
9.If you want to remove your Firefox user data and settings, put a check mark in the box that says Remove my Firefox personal data and customizations. If you select this option, Firefox will not preserve your bookmarks, saved passwords, and other data if it is installed again.
10.To provide feedback on your Firefox experience to the development team, select Tell us what you thought of Firefox.
11.Click Finish.
12.To remove other files and folders that may not be removed by the uninstall, you must manually delete the Firefox installation folder, which is located by default in C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox.

Collapse -
Browse to the Mozilla>uninstall folder
by Gordon_Hay / February 12, 2013 3:03 AM PST

in the programs folder and open "helper.exe" to run the uninstaller.

Collapse -
by malahini / February 16, 2013 6:04 PM PST

helper.exe won't open. Now when I try to open Mozilla, a search box pops up, mixidj. Grrrrr. HELP!!!!!!! Thanks

Collapse -
Re: uninstall Mozilla
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 16, 2013 7:21 PM PST
In reply to: helper.exe

You didn't tell why you want to uninstall it. How about just not using it? Or is there more to the story then you told?

Collapse -
uninstall mozilla
by malahini / February 17, 2013 2:55 AM PST
In reply to: Re: uninstall Mozilla

I was having some problems, ie: crashing and/or freezing several times, so I thought if I could uninstall and reinstall maybe that would fix the problem. I like it as a browser, just don't like when it freezes or crashes. Also, now when I do start it, the box pops up, so I am concerned about it. I did some checking and found pros and cons for, but all cons for mixidj. I did remove mixi, but it still pops up. I'm sorry if I didn't provide enough info from the beginning. I hope this helps to answer your questions; Thanks for replying.

Collapse -
Re: uninstall mozilla
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 17, 2013 3:06 AM PST
In reply to: uninstall mozilla

An easier solution: delete the Firefox profile in Appdata>Local and Appdata>Roaming. tells more.

Firefox will create new well-functioning empty ones when you restart it. This solves most problems with settings and addons.

Collapse -
uninstall mozilla
by malahini / February 18, 2013 6:24 PM PST
In reply to: Re: uninstall mozilla

Thanks Kees for all your help. Think I finally got things straightened out.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.