Computer Newbies forum

Resolved Question

how can I tell if someone put a bug to spy on me in my pc?

by PandaI_Eye / May 11, 2011 6:37 PM PDT

The person who installed some basic software on my pc turned out to be really shady and untrustworthy. I don't trust him at all and think he has "bugged" my pc to monitor what I do. This isn't paranoia, I have good reason to suspect him. How can I find out, without asking him, of course?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: how can I tell if someone put a bug to spy on me in my pc?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: how can I tell if someone put a bug to spy on me in my pc?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by PandaI_Eye

Collapse -
Re: spy programs
by Kees_B Forum moderator / May 11, 2011 6:41 PM PDT

The only sure way is to do a clean reinstall of the OS from the original Microsoft DVD (assuming it's Windows 7) yourself. Then add the other "some basic software" the same way, from the original source. And there's your clean system.

Kees

Collapse -
clean re-install (no spying)
by PandaI_Eye / May 12, 2011 12:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: spy programs

Are you talking about a clean system wipe, where my files should be backed up? Do I uninstall the windows I have now? A message comes up often for me to restart my computer within 10 minutes or postpone for 4 hours so windows can install important updates. This didn't used to come up.
<div>You mention original source twice, would it hurt if I got the software off a website such as this one?
</div>

Collapse -
On message, maybe...
by Willy / May 12, 2011 2:10 AM PDT

On your message, there can be various MS updates. Some larger than others. If you decide to postpone or decline all you do is que them for a later time. The more you do this the more likley they stack-up and start a hinderance, not a slowing of the PC but rather pop-ups from time to time. You can defeat this by your PC setup under the "automatic update" to disable that. You can also visit the MS update website and see what your PC needs and if there a large amount, then you know what wants to be installed. You don't really want to delay this as many are security type updates or patches important to the OS. Use the "update button" after clicking on "start" to check at MS website. Beware, once an update is actually installed, it will want or may ask for a reboot and don't at that time, simply shuut-OFF the PC, wait until done. t should prompt you during that time.

What may have happened is the tech during the installs, "enabled" the automatic update service and now you see this. It may have been a service/favor as they can be numerous and didn't turn it OFF..

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
recover password
by PandaI_Eye / May 12, 2011 4:37 AM PDT
In reply to: On message, maybe...

Before the updates installed I changed the computer name and it restarted immediately to install the updates. Arrrggghh!!! Now my password doesn't match my username. Password reset wizard comes up but of course I don't have a reset password disk. What can I do?

Collapse -
I use NTPASSWD.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 12, 2011 4:41 AM PDT
In reply to: recover password

While it does NOT recover the password I can set the admin password to nothing and then log in to change the other accounts to no password and I'm done.
Bob

Collapse -
password issue
by PandaI_Eye / May 12, 2011 9:23 AM PDT
In reply to: I use NTPASSWD.

I know the password, it just won't accept it cuz I changed the computer name which I didn't know was the same as the username.

Collapse -
This is where NTPASSWD comes in handy.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 12, 2011 9:28 AM PDT
In reply to: password issue

We can clear the password without using Windows. If NTPASSWD is not an option, there is the clean wipe noted by Kees and there is http://www.lostpassword.com which can ship you media and talk you through it for a small fee.
Bob

Collapse -
thanks
by PandaI_Eye / May 12, 2011 10:20 AM PDT

would you be able to help me, yourself? you seem to know all about it.

Collapse -
NTPASSWD is booted, you select the blank password.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 12, 2011 10:30 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks

Answer yes and you're done. What could be simpler except to have it done for you?

http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/

Bob

Collapse -
I don't even know what booted means
by PandaI_Eye / May 12, 2011 12:46 PM PDT

Anyway just to be clear, obviously, I do it from a different pc right? cuz like I said, I can't log in.

Collapse -
Sorry. That same PC. How?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 13, 2011 12:13 AM PDT

We boot the NTPASSWD CD/USB STICK or FLOPPY.

I'm wondering if you didn't read the instructions on NTPASSWD.

Windows is not booted when we do this.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: clean system wipe
by Kees_B Forum moderator / May 12, 2011 4:19 AM PDT

Indeed. Best to backup your files first, surely.

Software downloaded from a trusted site (like download.com.com or the maker) surely is safe.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.