Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

HOW CAN I TELL IF I HAVE A DVD BURNER ON MY COMPUTER

by dolimite / July 6, 2007 8:26 AM PDT

i realy need to know

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HOW CAN I TELL IF I HAVE A DVD BURNER ON MY COMPUTER
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HOW CAN I TELL IF I HAVE A DVD BURNER ON MY COMPUTER
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It'll say recorder on the front. . .
by Coryphaeus / July 6, 2007 8:51 AM PDT

or something like DVD Multi-recorder, or just DVD Recorder, maybe DVD-RW.

Collapse -
it says dvd+/-rw
by dolimite / July 6, 2007 9:34 AM PDT

but i'm haveing a hard time burning dvds

Collapse -
A Lot More Information Would Sure Help..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 6, 2007 9:58 AM PDT
In reply to: it says dvd+/-rw

What kind of problems? What types of DVD's are you attempting to burn? (Backup "data" DVD's, DVD-RW discs, copying movie DVD's, something else?)

What type and brand of discs are you using? (DVD+, DVD-, DVD-RW)

Which operating system?

Which DVD software are you using?

The more information you give us, the better informed our answer will be.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
here's the info
by dolimite / July 6, 2007 10:44 AM PDT

what im trying to do is burn a movie on to a blank dvd when i use nero it starts burning then it stops saying there was an error
and whe i use dvd flick it say's after i press crate dvd i need 10600 megabytes to compleate the encodeing when i know dvd is not full and full or blank the dvd dose not hold that much space

What type and brand of discs are you using?-fujiflim 4.7gb DVD-R

Which operating system?(windows xp)

Which DVD software are you using(nero startsmart and dvd flick))

Collapse -
A couple of things. . .
by Coryphaeus / July 6, 2007 12:17 PM PDT
In reply to: here's the info

A standard DVD will hold about 4.7 Gigabytes of data. In your statement, 10600 Megabytes = 10.6 Gigabytes. Too much for a DVD. Even a dual layer DVD won't hold that much data. So there is your error message.

What type of movie are you trying to burn? Hopefully it's not a rented DVD. If so, this conversation ends here because this is a copywrite violation and this forum will not aid in this.

There is software that is free and will copy rented DVDs. This is because the software alters the original DVD so that the quality is not quite as good therefore preserving the original content. But Nero is not it.

Collapse -
let me clearify
by dolimite / July 6, 2007 12:38 PM PDT

"A standard DVD will hold about 4.7 Gigabytes of data. In your statement, 10600 Megabytes = 10.6 Gigabytes. Too much for a DVD. Even a dual layer DVD won't hold that much data. So there is your error message."-i'm not trying to burn 10.6 Gigabytes worth of stuff it just says that weather i have one item or fill it to Max capacity

Collapse -
If this is a movie
by PudgyOne / July 6, 2007 2:43 PM PDT
In reply to: let me clearify

from your camera, Nero couldn't convert the ones from my HP Photosmart camera. I had to use Roxio to convert the videos to DVD.

Is this the type or is this to copy a DVD?

Rick

Collapse -
not from the camera
by dolimite / July 6, 2007 3:24 PM PDT
In reply to: If this is a movie

i'm just trying to burn some video's i downloaded from the internet

Collapse -
Could you specify which ones?
by John.Wilkinson / July 6, 2007 4:26 PM PDT
In reply to: not from the camera

The names and sources (URLs) of these videos could be the final piece of the puzzle, letting us determine the file type and potential caveats of burning the to DVD. With a little luck our next response will be the ultimate solution.

Let us know.
John

Collapse -
i can't remember where i downloaded them from
by dolimite / July 6, 2007 4:39 PM PDT

i can't remember where i downloaded them from

Collapse -
what is the file extension?
by jonah jones / July 6, 2007 6:08 PM PDT

avi, mpg?

what size? 700 +/-M or 1.5+G?

jonah

Collapse -
Are there copyright issues here, dolomite?
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / July 7, 2007 3:38 AM PDT
In reply to: not from the camera

Most files on the Internet are actually coprighted.

-- Dave K

Collapse -
no no copyright
by dolimite / July 7, 2007 3:56 AM PDT

just short films i downloaded from my friends website and ther extensions are .avi .mp4 and .vob

Collapse -
For each type, a tool.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 7, 2007 7:03 AM PDT
In reply to: no no copyright
Collapse -
(NT) thanks i'll try these out i hope thay work
by dolimite / July 7, 2007 11:45 AM PDT
In reply to: For each type, a tool.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.